PDA

View Full Version : Two questions:

nrml1
02-28-10, 04:14 AM
Hello Marines,

Question 1 is: I'm scheduled to do MEPS on Wednesday (3 March), I get there and start everything at 0400. If someone wanted to document oath of enlistment via video/pictures, could they do so and how would they know when that would happen?

Question 2 is: I'm really torn between MOS', I had no idea I would be. I really want to go infantry, however I have a wife and child and I'm worried it may seem irresponsible in the future that I took an 0300 job knowing I have people depending on me. My other two choices are MP, Motor-T and something in aviation where I can fly fairly often.

I've spoken to several recruiters, but it seems that I'm in that step in the process where I really just need to make this decision on my own. Obviously I'm having difficulty with it. I _WANT_ 0300, but as mentioned...

May be I'm just venting, trying to write this out, I don't know. In the end I just want to be a Marine, an asset to the United States Marine Corps and this country -- I want to show the Corps that the amount of $$ they will spend on training me will not go to the trash. =/

TJR1070
02-28-10, 06:45 AM
Personally I would pick the MOS in aviation, it would probably offer the most opportunities for you after you get out. Plan for more than just your Marine Corps career now and it will serve you well later.

Marine84
02-28-10, 09:48 AM
Hello Marines,

Question 1 is: I'm scheduled to do MEPS on Wednesday (3 March), I get there and start everything at 0400. If someone wanted to document oath of enlistment via video/pictures, could they do so and how would they know when that would happen?

Are you serious????? NO! It's not like you're going off to summer camp and Mommy and Daddy want to put it on film. Trust me - you are going to be yelled at so bad, you're not going to want that on film so your buddies can laugh at you.

josephd
02-28-10, 06:55 PM
Are you serious????? NO! It's not like you're going off to summer camp and Mommy and Daddy want to put it on film. Trust me - you are going to be yelled at so bad, you're not going to want that on film so your buddies can laugh at you.

where did you got MEPs at!?!?:scared:

I didn't have anyone at mine but there was a few other poolees/recruits that had family at MEPS when we did our oath

Marine84
02-28-10, 07:44 PM
Fort Jackson (yeah, I know) in Columbia, SC was my MEPS. I only went to MEPS twice - once when I had to go through all of the medical trash and again the day I was supposed to leave to go to PI. Both times, there certainly weren't any parents around filming (mainly cause we didn't have camcorders back then - LOL!). I don't know about anybody else but I don't remember anybody being dropped off by their parents.

This is where the cord gets cut. Save the celebration until AFTER you have the Title.

TJR1070
02-28-10, 07:46 PM
This is where the cord gets cut. Save the celebration until AFTER you have the Title.

Great point Marine84.

nrml1
03-01-10, 01:51 AM
Odd, I was under the impression that it was somewhat standard... at least out here in San Diego. I say that because the majority of the poolies around my area have been able to do this. Apparently the individuals (parents or otherwise) are brought in at the time you take the OOE mainly to witness it and then are sent on their way.

I think I also recall looking at a MEPS video on the MEPS site (?) that points out that possibility. Oh well, I guess I'll find out and report back.

ETA: I didn't mean it to be a celebration, I was actually thinking more along the lines of historical record-keeping since no one in my family has ever been part of the United States Marine Corps (or any branch of service for that matter), it would be ideal to start a proud legacy of service and for my kid to look back on those moments proudly.

TJR1070
03-01-10, 06:34 AM
You have to understand some of us went to MEPS a while ago and what may be routine now may not have been at that time. I think what Marine84 was trying to say is that it's only the initial step and not much to be proud about if something goes wrong at boot camp or during processing. Take this as an example: We had a recruit dropped at the start of second phase for failing the urinalysis. Do you think after that he would have thought his record keeping of his oath of enlistment would be posterity or additional embarrassment? I'm not saying/wishing anything like that to happen to you, but a lot of recruits don't finish recruit training for a lot of reasons. It is at such an early stage that it may be inconsequential (if you didn't complete recruit training). However once graduation day rolls around and you are called Marine, no one can ever take that title away from you no matter what happens.

With that being said I think that it comes down to what you would like to do, we are just pointing out that it wasn't standard in our experiences.

TinDragon
03-01-10, 07:14 AM
I have a couple photos of my whole MEPS deal. There was quite a few other families there as well, including at least one other Marine recruit family. The details of the day are kinda hazy, but I don't think they can do anything DURING the oath. My photos were taken right after. I think.

Silentwarrior17
03-01-10, 07:30 AM
1. You can have pictures taken during your Oath but just as was said above, I wouldn't recommend it. Talk to your recruiter if you really want it done though.

2. Choosing the MOS is totally on you. Now that being said being an 03 has been the best thing of my life. It's not just single Marines that are 03's either, you have to remember that. Most Marines have families and have to deal with what comes at them. Families get left behind for a period of time and that just comes with the job. There are weeks where you are out in the field and don't get to see your family as well. Granted 03's are in a little more danger on a consistant basis than most other MOS, but if you have a wife who supports you, then 03 will be fine. Becoming an 03 isn't being irresponsible at all either. No matter what you do in the Corps you have to realize that you are part of something that is bigger than yourself and your family. Now don't get me wrong family comes first, but my wife realizes that I am committed to the Corps and my country and she realizes there is a price for that. You are going to miss Bdays, anniversaries, X-mas, New Years, and the list goes on. It is just part of the job regardless of what MOS you choose.

polizei
03-01-10, 08:29 AM
I had my parents come and take picture because they wanted too...never was a big deal at all. Do it if you want, don't let others decide for you.

As far as the MOS, that's personal choice, but honestly it sounds like you haven't done much research as far as talking to Marines IN the MOS, to see how it actually is. IE, do you know there is a PMO and field side of the MP MOS? Most don't realize that...research! Knowledge is power.

Find out what life is like from those who are living it. I personally would hate being a grunt, but that's just me...Find out what you want, and do it.