PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever serve with someone famous either then or now.

HereandThere
02-27-10, 10:39 PM
My squad leader at P.I. was James K.Campbell.He told us he was a actor in some off broadway shows before he enlisted.I sort of remember him saying he joined because a friend of his was killed in Nam.But his Bio says something different.
His Hollywood name is J.Kenneth Campbell

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0132517/bio

TJR1070
02-27-10, 10:44 PM
Interesting question, but my opinion is that one unknown Marine is worth all the famous people in the world, especially the entertainer's.

Big Jim
02-27-10, 10:50 PM
When I was in Desert Shield/ Desert Storm...I had a friend who was in an Airwing unit.....VMA-542, which was a Harrier Squadron at the time. I have no idea what it is now...but when I would see my friend,(and soon to be brother in law), we would go running alot down there in the heat at Shaik Isa Airbase in Bahrain. Well in his unit there was this tall, lanky looking quiet "Norman Bates" looking Marine telling us he was Demi Moore's brother. We believed him of course because other Marines had seen her and Bruce Willis come to Cherrypoint to visit him a few times before they left.

So after we got back....wow....Bruce and Demi through a huge party for all the Marines who wanted to join.....and of course me and some friends were there....I was just there for the free booze and food....but Bruce did come up and offer me a few shots of tequila.....he's shorter than I thought he was after seeing a few of his movies...lol....never did talk with Demi though....but thats cool...I didn't worship neither one of them like everyone else did...Bruce Willis said he appreciated that when he could just go out and be himself and get drunk with some friends if he wanted.....he was a down to earth nice guy.....

slug
02-28-10, 01:33 AM
I have John McCain's son in my Company and two doors down the catwalk.

TJR1070
02-28-10, 06:31 AM
Hey Slug, please tell Senator McCain's son that I think his father is a great American.

silverdollar
02-28-10, 07:29 AM
I have John McCain's son in my Company and two doors down the catwalk.

I thought that McCains son would be in his 60s.:confused:

HereandThere
02-28-10, 07:56 AM
When I was in Desert Shield/ Desert Storm...I had a friend who was in an Airwing unit.....VMA-542, which was a Harrier Squadron at the time. I have no idea what it is now...but when I would see my friend,(and soon to be brother in law), we would go running alot down there in the heat at Shaik Isa Airbase in Bahrain. Well in his unit there was this tall, lanky looking quiet "Norman Bates" looking Marine telling us he was Demi Moore's brother. We believed him of course because other Marines had seen her and Bruce Willis come to Cherrypoint to visit him a few times before they left.

So after we got back....wow....Bruce and Demi through a huge party for all the Marines who wanted to join.....and of course me and some friends were there....I was just there for the free booze and food....but Bruce did come up and offer me a few shots of tequila.....he's shorter than I thought he was after seeing a few of his movies...lol....never did talk with Demi though....but thats cool...I didn't worship neither one of them like everyone else did...Bruce Willis said he appreciated that when he could just go out and be himself and get drunk with some friends if he wanted.....he was a down to earth nice guy.....

That party sounds like fun.I like Bruce Willis Movies and he's one of a few actors I'd like to have a beer with,like Clint Eastwood or Tom Hanks.
I've run into a couple of famous people in Bars(who would of thunk it)
I was in a bar in Hazleton Pa back in the 70's and Jack Palance showed up because his brother owned the bar or was the bartender,can't remember,and he bought the place a couple of rounds but seemed to be under the weather that night and just sat there sipping brandy.
Back in the 80's or early 90's I was in a Bar in Beach Lake Pa. and Mario Andretti and Paul Newman came in with some other people who were snowmobiling with them.Andretti owned a house in Beach Lake amd everyone knew him personally in the area,and treated him like one of the guys,but Newman was just like him,talked to everyone, bought drinks and had everyone laughing with his sense of humor.

Mongoose
02-28-10, 08:01 AM
Another Marine member here ( RSTA ) and I went through bootcamp together with LT. PRESLEY O'BANNONS great, great, grandson. Leatherneck newspaper came. We never saw it. So we didnt know if they did an article or not. His name was Ren J. O'BANNON. Plt. 3321 1968, M.C.R.D.

Rocky C
02-28-10, 08:14 AM
Everyone I Served With Was Famous.
Afterall, We Are Marines!!! :)
SEMPER FIDELIS MARINES !!!

SGT7477
02-28-10, 09:21 AM
Good one Rocky.:D

HereandThere
02-28-10, 09:42 AM
I hear you,but I think it's interesting to know who you had contact with while in the Marines who was famous during that time or did something later that made them famous.I watched J. Kenneth Campbells movie career since I first saw him on TV in the 70's and although he never became a big star,he was in a lot of movies and TV shows.During my time in the Marines I had heard that he was killed in action and was happy to hear he was just wounded and recovered.

As for Marines,my father served with Chesty Puller in Nicaraqua in the 30's and knew him well.

doc h fmf
02-28-10, 09:57 AM
I Had The Privilege Of Being In Jame Livinstons(cmoh Winner) 8th Marine Regiment. Ooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

doc h fmf
02-28-10, 10:23 AM
James Livinston (cmoh) I Appologize My Last Tread Had Cmoh In Small Letters. Again I Am Sorry. I Felt Like I Disrespected A Hero For Doing That

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

doc h fmf
02-28-10, 10:26 AM
James Livinston (cmoh)

jetdawgg
02-28-10, 01:05 PM
@Big Jim

Bruce Willis lost $200,000 at the craps table in Vegas (Venetian) back in 2000. I won $750.00 that nite and lost $300 of it on the roulette wheel.:D

Those fcukers made the wheel hit '1' five straight times:D

I know how Bruce must have felt. As far as him being a 'regular guy', he is from NJ. Here is his new wife...

http://images.smh.com.au/ftsmh/ffximage/2009/03/31/bruce_willis_emma_narrowweb__300x454,0.jpg

cball
02-28-10, 07:44 PM
Bob Lutz a big shot CEO with General Motors was in my platoon at P I..And F.Lee Baily was our Logistics Officer at Cherry Point..

Big Jim
02-28-10, 09:27 PM
@Big Jim

Bruce Willis lost $200,000 at the craps table in Vegas (Venetian) back in 2000. I won $750.00 that nite and lost $300 of it on the roulette wheel.:D

Those fcukers made the wheel hit '1' five straight times:D

I know how Bruce must have felt. As far as him being a 'regular guy', he is from NJ. Here is his new wife...

http://images.smh.com.au/ftsmh/ffximage/2009/03/31/bruce_willis_emma_narrowweb__300x454,0.jpg

Damn....she's freakin' gorgeous......I always heard that Demi was a straight beeyotch...her and her lanky-ass brother...LOL...!! Its good to see that he traded up....!! Yeah Dawgg...Bruce is a straight shootin' dude man.....we drank together and even told me I remind him of a friend he had in high school....but hell we were all drunk....just glad he didn't say that winking at me...!!

LOL...but we killed a few bottles of tequila that night....then he and Demi bought like 6 or 7 jet-skis just for the Marines to party and have fun on the water at Atlantic Beach just off Radio Island....(that's where we were partying).....and after the party was over they left it up to her brother to just give them away.....now that was cool....but I guess I wasn't in the right place at the right time or kiss his ass or something cause I never got one....LOL

Marine Shu
03-01-10, 10:03 AM
We had Rene Gagnon's nephew (or maybe great-nephew) in our company at PI. He never met him because Rene died well before the recruit was born, but they shared the same blood.

SlingerDun
03-01-10, 11:22 AM
Clayton Lonetreehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

micarr57
03-01-10, 08:11 PM
j j valdez last marine out of vietnam worked for him in 77 at 3rd tracks at pendelton hell of a great marine

Supersquishy
03-02-10, 04:51 AM
Anyone here in Riddick Bowes platoon during recieving before he quit???

HereandThere
03-02-10, 07:30 AM
Clayton Lonetreehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

I had to google that one but I do remember that case.Now all we have to find is someone who served with Lee Harvey Oswald.

polizei
03-02-10, 05:59 PM
FWIW, I was in MP school with Patrick Swayze's nephew.

Wheels123
03-02-10, 06:12 PM
We had a Major here that won the Showcase Showdown on The Price Is Right when Bob was still doing the show. Does that count?

HereandThere
03-02-10, 08:04 PM
We had a Major here that won the Showcase Showdown on The Price Is Right when Bob was still doing the show. Does that count?
How much did he win? I guess it counts because he was famous on your base.

silverdollar
03-03-10, 07:12 AM
I ran over Lou Costellos dog in Hawaii.:D

AKA HITMAN
03-03-10, 07:22 AM
I met Gomer Pyle in person....

HereandThere
03-03-10, 07:36 AM
I ran over Lou Costellos dog in Hawaii.:DSo that was you!
http://www.nndb.com/people/598/000043469/loucostello-crop.jpg

HereandThere
03-03-10, 07:39 AM
I met Gomer Pyle in person....
I don't rememmbber that!!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/Pandabonium/slide/GomerPyle.jpg

duragliter
03-03-10, 12:08 PM
Lou Gossett. I knew the Marine that gave him the shirt off his back. ;)

tdrt
03-03-10, 04:04 PM
LtGen Fred McCorkle was my CO at MAWTS-1; ran into LtCol Oliver North at HQMC (nice guy) quite a few times; my desk/office at the Pentagon was Fawn Hall's old one; while at the Pentagon back when Jim Webb was SECNAV, he would always come into my office and use my computer to type his personal stuff. No big "celebs" though

wood
03-03-10, 07:50 PM
I served under him at Dai Do

fespar
03-04-10, 09:49 AM
When I went through boot-camp at MCRD,San Diego I thought of some of my movie heroes who had undergone recruit training at the very same place,i.e.Glenn Ford and Lee Marvin.That helped me,I couldn't let my heroes down.I didn't!

Hanzo
03-04-10, 10:47 AM
When I was going through the Cruicible a bunch of the San Diego Chargers came up to observe and (kinda) participate. So one night we're told that we're doing a night patrol. It felt kinda improptu...

kenrobg30
03-04-10, 12:29 PM
I got to shake hands with Brigadier General 'Chesty' Puller, along with a few hundred other Marines, when we joined the the Division, in Korea. He had just been promoted, and appointed Division Executive Officer. I also knew Johnnie Organ, who according to RING Magazine, was one of the top ten contenders, for the Heavy-weight Championship, in 1950. Does He count? S/F!! Ken

bigdog43701
03-04-10, 12:56 PM
back in '73 i was the squad leader of Leon SPINKS in the 2d Marines. what a sh1t bird.

SgtThrasher
03-04-10, 01:19 PM
After Boot Camp and ITR in 1965 , I reported @Camp Lejeune 10th Marines and L/Cpl Ken Norton was a few racks down.He later transferred to the base boxing team and eventually became a world champion.In 66 the Everly brothers were having reserve training @29 Palms and put on a little show for us,actress Linda Day George's brother was stationed at the stumps at the same time.After Vietnam I reported in @San Diego for DI school and Gunny Jimmie Howard logged me.He won the Medal of Honor in Vietnam.

HereandThere
03-04-10, 01:27 PM
back in '73 i was the squad leader of Leon SPINKS in the 2d Marines. what a sh1t bird.
http://www.gawker.com/assets/resources/2008/03/SI3.jpeg

Did he have all his teeth then?

FistFu68
03-04-10, 01:28 PM
:evilgrin: Bob Hope came by my Hospital Bed with Miss World or Universe?,stayed and talked too Me took a Couple of Pics shook my Hand and She gave a Kiss on my forehead.Dam She smelled Good :p :iwo:

HereandThere
03-04-10, 01:34 PM
I got to shake hands with Brigadier General 'Chesty' Puller, along with a few hundred other Marines, when we joined the the Division, in Korea. He had just been promoted, and appointed Division Executive Officer. I also knew Johnnie Organ, who according to RING Magazine, was one of the top ten contenders, for the Heavy-weight Championship, in 1950. Does He count? S/F!! Ken

You don't really expect me to say Chesty doesn't count do you.
As for Johnny Organ,he must have been one of boxings punching bags,I can't find anything on him.

HereandThere
03-04-10, 01:42 PM
Anyone remember the show"Operation Entertainment"?
I was at NATTD in Memphis in 1968 and they taped a show there.
Kenny Rogers and the First Edition was the main act,actually the only act I can remember.But he doesn't count, he was not in the Marines.

FistFu68
03-04-10, 01:53 PM
:evilgrin: Col.Ripley then a 1St.Lt.Hazed Me,made two Parachute Jumps with General Pace,ran into 1st Lt.Carl Munday at Dong Ha a couple of times.Used too check the I.D Card at main gate Henderson Hall of Diane Parkinson Her Daddy was A Marine up in Northern Virginia.Used too really snap too when Lt.General Lew Walt would come rolling up.:flag: :thumbup:

kenrobg30
03-04-10, 03:31 PM
You don't really expect me to say Chesty doesn't count do you.
As for Johnny Organ,he must have been one of boxings punching bags,I can't find anything on him.
IF YOU'RE TRYING TO LAY A GUILT TRIP ON ME, IT AIN'T WORKING. If you ever learn how to read, you'll notice that my question was specifically aimed at Johnnie Organ. Try Ring Magazine, !951. ;) kEN

HereandThere
03-04-10, 04:09 PM
IF YOU'RE TRYING TO LAY A GUILT TRIP ON ME, IT AIN'T WORKING. If you ever learn how to read, you'll notice that my question was specifically aimed at Johnnie Organ. Try Ring Magazine, !951. ;) kEN
Ring magazine? I wouldn't waste my time on a fixed so called sport.

kenrobg30
03-04-10, 05:30 PM
[quote=HereandThere;613490]Ring magazine? I wouldn't waste my time on a fixed so called sport.[/quote}
There is an old saying, that covers your problem, it goes,"Everybody to their own taste, said the old Lady, as she kissed the cow." You still haven't impressed me, and I'm not going to waste any more time fencing with you.It's embarrassing.:thumbdown Ken