PDA

View Full Version : When push comes to love

thedrifter
09-01-03, 04:30 PM
When push comes to love
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003829184342
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(August 29, 2003) -- Among the Marines always giving forth their best effort, many do it without thought of recognition from others or even realize others are watching their actions. To these many Marines, many have family who watch their every move and younger family members who mimic or get inspired by those actions.

Staff Sgt. Ralph C. Williams Jr., senior drill instructor, Platoon 2099, Company G, as the oldest grandchild, is a role model and hero to his family.

"My uncles and grandfather rode me through everything," said Williams. "In school, when I was messing up, and in football. I guess they thought if they lead the first one right the rest will follow."

The pressure forced upon Williams to do well by his male role models, however unwelcome at the time, helped him attain good grades and scholarships, according to Williams.

"Being an A and B student wore my nerves," said Williams. "School wasn't for me, even with scholarships."

Despite his foul taste for the schoolhouse, Williams still has a blind need to do well.

"My goal is to be the best in everything I do and make everyone around me better," said Williams.

His younger sister was one of those he helped improve.

"He knew his goals before graduating," said Ashley D. Butler. "He wanted to be a Marine and signed up. When I first saw him in uniform it brought tears to my eyes."

Williams' inspiration led his sister to aspire for her own dreams.

"(He's) my hero," said Butler. "(He) was my personal motivator and still is my motivator."

Reaching for her own goals, Butler plans on being in leadership roles where she is making a difference, like her oldest brother.

"He's a leader and I plan to run stuff like him," Butler said. "I am going to school for nursing."

Williams became a drill instructor to give back to the Marine Corps and to advance his career more, according to Williams.

Being able to succeed in life takes discipline, according to Williams.

"I got discipline from my drill instructors and that is what I try to teach my recruits above all else," Williams said. "Without discipline it is hard to succeed in any situation in life."

His family saw that well learned lesson first hand after he graduated recruit training.

"When he came back (from recruit training) he was more serious, more mature and able to handle more responsibility," said Butler. "Basically he was a grown up."

That growing up included Williams starting a family of his own with wife Monica A. Williams.

They have been married for 10 years and have two children, Jamal C. Williams and Brittney A. Williams.

"It takes a strong woman to endure the drill field," said Williams. "She has stood by me through all the deployments."

According to Williams, his wife just being there to support him has been an immense help.

"The Marine Corps is hard on a married person's life," said Williams. "Family life takes a big personal sacrifice. My wife has taken that challenge and handled it."

Williams' wife took the place of his uncles and grandfather in giving him that extra push to success, according to Williams.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003829191528/$file/DIspot_SSgt_R_C_Williams_lr.jpg

Staff Sgt. Ralph C. Williams Jr., senior drill instructor, Platoon 2099, Company G, credits his family for boosting him through the drill field.
Photo by: Sgt. Scott Dunn

The Drifter
:marine: