PDA

View Full Version : Marriage.

rg2o3
02-27-10, 10:03 AM
Good afternoon Marines. Alright. Currently I am at my MOS school. I have decided with my fiance that we are getting married when I get my leave after my schooling. With that said I would like some information. One quick thing, if you are coming in here to tell me not to do it, please just dont post. I understand its not the greatest idea in the world, but I have been with her for a long time and this has been our dream for awahile. With that said.

1. When I get to my duty station, what would I need to do to get an apartment so my wife would be able to move with me. Etc.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fidelis :flag:

Rocky C
02-27-10, 11:09 AM
Permission and Money.

rg2o3
02-27-10, 12:08 PM
I figured that much lol. Just curious as to how i would start the process.

Sally
02-27-10, 12:19 PM
As soon as you check in to your duty station, inform your SNCO.
Everybody will start steering you in the right direction on where you have to go first.

GSEMarine94
02-27-10, 12:30 PM
What Sally said, but I'll add, make sure you have extra money set aside. I did the exact same thing, it took over a month before my pay was squared away. It got real tight that first month after putting up the deposit and first months rent for our apartment and buying what little food we could, we were completely flat broke. Good luck.

rg2o3
02-27-10, 12:34 PM
Thank you very much Marines. I have been saving and still am saving here at school. It's pretty easy to save up here, but thank you for the information and steering me in the right direction

Semper fi!

polizei
02-27-10, 01:07 PM
You also might want to inform your fiance of what will happen/not happen. What I'm trying to say is, inform her that she might not get to come right away, you need to square your pay away, the situation, etc. etc.

Honestly, I would do all that and get situated before you bring her to the duty station and find out that you have to do a months worth of crap before things can happen. Now, that might not happen, but as I'm sure you know, plan for the worst and hope for the best.

FistFu68
02-27-10, 01:24 PM
:evilgrin: GoodLuck too You both Thanks for Serving our Country Marine I'll watch out 4 Her when Your on Duty S/F JODY :beer: :iwo:

rg2o3
02-27-10, 02:36 PM
Yes, I have informed her that it could be a month or 2 before she can come down. And thank you, much appreciated Marines.

Old Marine
02-27-10, 04:39 PM
Yes, I have informed her that it could be a month or 2 before she can come down. And thank you, much appreciated Marines.

Between now and then you should get her on this site and let he talk to some Marine wife's about what is involved and how they like the enviorment.
This way you both will get the information from the horse's mouth so to speak.

egbutler1
02-27-10, 08:23 PM
Well sounds like you keeping it all squared away, hope it works out for the two of you. Semper Fi Marine!

TJR1070
02-27-10, 09:26 PM
Do you know when you find out where you are going because I didn't get my orders for my first duty station until about a week before graduation. My orders were for an unaccompanied tour to Okinawa. Now I wasn't married or planning it, but I'm just wondering if you are ordered to report to an overseas station can those orders be amended to an accompanied tour or is he going to be screwed?

rg2o3
02-27-10, 09:29 PM
Thank you Marines! Well I find out where my orders are about a week before graduation but, we get to choose our orders based on class rank, half the class is reservists so they dont get to choose orders, and there are also 5 NCO's who does not count in those picks as well. So it will come down to about 15 of us, 2 Marines in my class REALLY REALLY want to go to Okinawa, so hopefuly they take the spots to that station.

TJR1070
02-27-10, 09:39 PM
Good luck Brother I hope everything works out for you.

egbutler1
02-27-10, 09:47 PM
Thank you Marines! Well I find out where my orders are about a week before graduation but, we get to choose our orders based on class rank, half the class is reservists so they dont get to choose orders, and there are also 5 NCO's who does not count in those picks as well. So it will come down to about 15 of us, 2 Marines in my class REALLY REALLY want to go to Okinawa, so hopefuly they take the spots to that station.

yeah lets hope you don't get stuck w/ oki than your wife is stuck stateside for 2 years, good luck :)

polizei
02-27-10, 10:31 PM
I would talk to your SNOIC if you can. Our Ssgt (class instructor) worked with a few Marines...and I think he ended up talking to a monitor and getting some pull, making sure a few Marines get sent to the stations they wanted. Now, this wasn't for everyone...I think he only did it for two Marines, one was already married and the other was having some personal issues.

You can always try though. Semper Fi

HOWARDROARK3043
02-28-10, 02:48 AM
DONT DO IT,,,,,,,,,,,,,you said you understand it is not the greatest idea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I USUALLY FOLLOW THE GREAT IDEAS,---

brian0351
02-28-10, 10:56 AM
You definately want to wait until you get to your first duty station and find out the deployment schedule. (If you'll be on one).

My cousin enlisted and married. Moved his 18yr old Wife to Jacksonville, NC and he deployed 2 months later. She was 2000 miles from friends and family and all alone. That's no way to start a "lifetime" commitment and it was over as fast as it started.

Personally I would recommend waiting until after your first deployment...no matter when it is. It gives you some time to get situated with your unit and gives you both a chance to grow. You want to rush marriage because "You've been together a long time". Well would it kill you to wait a little longer? Unless there is a kid involved don't rush into it!

cowstep2
02-28-10, 01:39 PM
Treat a wife like you would a good horse. Rub her aplenty, talk softly, give her sweets
and see to her grooming (this includes but is not limited to the beauty parlor and flowers)
If these things are done properly you will be able to get on and ride occassionly without having to ear her down or use a twitch on her nose.

PURPLEROSE
02-28-10, 04:09 PM
and most of all , be happy, truthful and not afraid to talk to each other about anything. it takes two to make it work, I Have been married to my Marine for 39 years, and we have been down the road together, Best of luck and best wishes, to you both.it took us about two months before I could join him, we was on base housing, so tell her to hang in there with you.everything will turn out for you both. ROSE

sgt tony
02-28-10, 05:42 PM
Well I to hope the best for you and the little misses.
To really give you and good idea of what and all. The 1st question is what is your MOS(03) then that answered then more information. You can get on the wed and find out all kinds of information on almost bases then you will have most of your information.
Yes save save save because it is not cheap to live in town, if you get lucky to get into base housing then it is a bit better.
Ever one has given good info but so listen up and follow through.

TinDragon
03-01-10, 06:51 AM
IF you end up going to Okinawa, you need to tell you command at your school ASAP about your pending marriage.

We had two people come to Okinawa, same class in school, both married. However, one told the command and one didn't. The one who told the command ended up staying at MOS school longer (about a month) then came out to Okinawa on accompanied orders, got a car pretty fast, etc. The one who didn't tell the command told his new one (the one we're all at now) and he got his pay adjusted and such, but ended up spending almost $2000 keeping his wife in Okinawa on an unaccompanied tour, and almost ended up getting his change to accompanied orders denied. After about 4-5 months and a lot of hassle and $ later he finally got it changed and she came back out.

As far as marriage anywhere else... yeah, I got no idea. But do NOT come to Okinawa without orders reflecting your marriage (either 1 year unaccompanied or 3 years accompanied).

rg2o3
03-01-10, 07:42 PM
Thank you all for the insight, and the ones that are telling me not to do it, its done, the wedding is planned, its what I want and its what she wants so yea. But thank you for the insight. The rest of you that helped, I am at school to be an 0231. I will talk to my instructors and see if they are willing to help me, thank you all for the help.