PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice..

TaylorEdw
02-26-10, 06:21 PM
Hello Marines, I had a few questions to ask if I could take a minute of your time.. <br />
<br />
First of all..a little about me. I'm 19 years old, born and raised here in Stillwater, Oklahoma. I'm...

polizei
02-26-10, 06:42 PM
That's still too horrible to read. Not trying to be an ass, but I'm not even going to try and read that. Break it up!

Lisa 23
02-26-10, 07:41 PM
Just a suggestion, if you plan on starting another thread, PM one of the mods...thedrifter or jinelson...and ask to have the 2 threads you already started deleted, as double posting is not allowed.

TaylorEdw
02-26-10, 07:51 PM
Just a suggestion, if you plan on starting another thread, PM one of the mods...thedrifter or jinelson...and ask to have the 2 threads you already started deleted, as double posting is not allowed.

Thank you for the heads up, I have asked that the other thread be removed.

Take care

-Taylor

Zulu 36
02-26-10, 10:04 PM
You just admitted in your looong post that you still suffer from depression even though you are no longer on meds. Obviously you are not medically fit for duty in the Marine Corps as it affects your ability to perform normally.

If you cannot push yourself to do what needs to be done, the Marine Corps will not do it for you. Maybe boot camp will, but once in the Fleet you either push yourself or suffer the consequences. You think you're depressed now?

Before you get riled up, know this: I have PTSD and clinical uni-polar depression and have had it for many years. I still take meds. I still have problems. I still see shrinks. You should visit some of my dreams, THOSE would make you feel better. Compared to some Marines on this site, I'm in damned good shape and grateful for it.

The Marine Corps will NOT make you better, it WILL make you worse.

TaylorEdw
02-26-10, 10:15 PM
Not getting riled up, I came here asking for advice/suggestions, and that's exactly what you just gave me, whether it is what I would like to hear or not. It's exactly what I asked for.

Thanks for your input, I definitely see what you are saying.

Thanks again for the help!

-Taylor

You just admitted in your looong post that you still suffer from depression even though you are no longer on meds. Obviously you are not medically fit for duty in the Marine Corps as it affects your ability to perform normally.

If you cannot push yourself to do what needs to be done, the Marine Corps will not do it for you. Maybe boot camp will, but once in the Fleet you either push yourself or suffer the consequences. You think you're depressed now?

Before you get riled up, know this: I have PTSD and clinical uni-polar depression and have had it for many years. I still take meds. I still have problems. I still see shrinks. You should visit some of my dreams, THOSE would make you feel better. Compared to some Marines on this site, I'm in damned good shape and grateful for it.

The Marine Corps will NOT make you better, it WILL make you worse.

Zulu 36
02-26-10, 10:31 PM
Not getting riled up, I came here asking for advice/suggestions, and that's exactly what you just gave me, whether it is what I would like to hear or not. It's exactly what I asked for.

Thanks for your input, I definitely see what you are saying.

Thanks again for the help!

-Taylor

That's good that you aren't getting upset. Some folks come through here are get all POd when confronted with the truth.

The Marine Corps, especially infantry, is just not conducive to curing existing mental health issues. Unfortunately, it frequently has the effect of creating mental health issues where none existed before. Modern warfare just doesn't leave a feel good, group hug experience.

TaylorEdw
02-27-10, 11:57 AM
That's good that you aren't getting upset. Some folks come through here are get all POd when confronted with the truth.

The Marine Corps, especially infantry, is just not conducive to curing existing mental health issues. Unfortunately, it frequently has the effect of creating mental health issues where none existed before. Modern warfare just doesn't leave a feel good, group hug experience.

I understand..

I think what I'm going to do is stay off of my medicine awhile longer and see how I'm doing..and then see if I can even enlist honestly. If I can't, it means it's a good thing for me to stay away. Would you recommend this?

Do you know how they determine if I am deemed alright to serve and to try to get a waiver? Is there some type of mental evaluation they do at MEPS or something?

polizei
02-27-10, 12:19 PM
I think you have to be off the meds for a full year before you can become eligible.

Even if you can get in, I would look at a few different, non-combat MOS'. You might not like it at first, but who knows, might be better for you. The Marine Corps isn't just infantry...

TaylorEdw
02-27-10, 12:32 PM
I think you have to be off the meds for a full year before you can become eligible.

Even if you can get in, I would look at a few different, non-combat MOS'. You might not like it at first, but who knows, might be better for you. The Marine Corps isn't just infantry...

Yes, it is in fact a full year. I have also been off of my meds for a full year now. I know this is true, as my recruiter checked for me last time I talked to him (his recruiting term is now up and he has moved on). Also, I got off of my medication with my doctors approval. She gave me the okay to enlist after a year off. I guess what I am asking is if it's a smart idea to enlist with these conditions or not, and wondering what they do to determine if I am stable to enlist?

Also in response to what you said about other MOS', would you recommend any in particular? Or is it sort of personal preference to what I find interesting?

Thanks for your help!

polizei
02-27-10, 01:01 PM
Personal preference. I'm not sure how they determine if you're fit for enlisting, I think there is a doc at MEPS that determines that, along with enlisting guidelines and waiver approval. Not really sure honestly...

As far as the MOS, pick something you think you would enjoy doing. And if you have a history with mental issues, ADD, etc. like I said, I would stay away from anything combat. I'm not saying the only MOS for you is a cook, so don't take it that way. There is a ton of MOS' to choose from, just pick one you think you would like.

Zulu 36
02-27-10, 01:23 PM
The problem is, by your own admission, you are still suffering from depression. Since you have to admit you took anti-depressives, MEPS will look into your history a little deeper. Yes, they do a...

Rocky C
02-27-10, 02:27 PM
I Think you should Read This.........

Mood Disorders

Current mood disorders including, but not limited to, major depression (296.2–3), bipolar (296.4–7), affective psychoses (296.8–9), depressive not otherwise specified (311), are disqualifying.

History of mood disorders requiring outpatient care for longer than 6 months by a physician or other mental health professional (V65.40), or inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility is disqualifying.

History of symptoms consistent with a mood disorder of a repeated nature that impairs school, social, or work efficiency is disqualifying.
Current or history of adjustment disorders (309) within the previous 3 months is disqualifying.

Behavioral Disorders

Current or history of conduct (312), or behavior (313) disorders is disqualifying. Recurrent encounters with law enforcement agencies, antisocial attitudes or behaviors are tangible evidence of impaired capacity to adapt to military service and as such are disqualifying.

Current or history of personality disorder (301) is disqualifying. History (demonstrated by repeated inability to maintain reasonable adjustment in school, with employers or fellow workers, or other social groups), interview, or psychological testing revealing that the degree of immaturity, instability, personality inadequacy, impulsiveness, or dependency will likely interfere with adjustment in the Armed Forces is disqualifying.

Current or history of other behavior disorders is disqualifying, including, but not limited to conditions such as the following:
(1) Enuresis (307.6) or encopresis (307.7) after 13th birthday is disqualifying.

(2) Sleepwalking (307.4) after 13th birthday is disqualifying.

(3) Eating disorders (307.5), anorexia nervosa (307.1), bulimia (307.51), or unspecified disorders of eating (307.59) lasting longer than 3 months and occurring after 13th birthday are disqualifying.
Any current receptive or expressive language disorder, including, but not limited to any speech impediment, stammering and stuttering (307.0) of such a degree as to significantly interfere with production of speech or to repeat commands, is disqualifying.

History of suicidal behavior, including gesture(s) or attempt (s) (300.9) , or history of self-mutilation, is disqualifying.

Current or history of anxiety disorders (anxiety (300.01) or panic (300.2)), agoraphobia (300.21), social phobia (300.23), simple phobias (300.29), (obsessive-compulsive) (300.3), other acute reactions to stress (308), and posttraumatic stress disorder (309.81) are disqualifying.

Current or history of dissociative disorders, including, but not limited to hysteria (300.1), depersonalization (300.6), and other (300.8), are disqualifying.

Current or history of somatoform disorders, including, but not limited to hypochondriasis (300.7) or chronic pain disorder, are disqualifying.

Current or history of psychosexual conditions (302), including, but not limited to transsexualism, exhibitionism, transvestism, voyeurism, and other paraphilias, are disqualifying.

Current or history of alcohol dependence (303), drug dependence (304), alcohol abuse (305), or other drug abuse (305.2 thru 305.9) is disqualifying.

Current or history of other mental disorders (all 290–319 not listed above) that in the opinion of the civilian or military provider will interfere with, or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty, are disqualifying.

Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, "Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction," and DOD Instruction 6130.4, "Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces."

Old Marine
02-27-10, 04:52 PM
Go to the Recruiting Office and talk to the Recruiter. If anyone knows, it will be him.