PDA

View Full Version : DEP/Contract Timing

newskate9
02-26-10, 12:21 PM
Good day, all. FIRST - I searched for the answer to this, I really did! And I didn't find anything that allowed me to connect the dots. So I'll try a new thread. If there's a link you can provide instead - please do and I'll go to it!

Assuming all goes well, my son will be swearing into DEP this coming week. We're 50% excited, 50% nervous, 50% scared, 100% proud. Right now it's hard for me to talk or hug him without getting teary-eyed. But, I'll get better some day.

He wants to go infantry; he's a senior in HS but attends college instead so we're told he'll be able to go in at a higher level for those credits. That's good. The question - does this point, and his MOS selection get put into contract and signed BEFORE DEP, or is all that stuff open ended, as long as it is signed before MEPS? He's been told for infantry he won't be leaving now till December, which is fine, but I'm concerned and want to make sure he'll be getting the job he wants, credits, etc. The posts I've been able to find (and I may not be looking well), aren't as clear as I'd like.

Thanks for any help!

TinDragon
02-26-10, 01:16 PM
His MOS will be signed some point in between the first and second time he goes to MEPS. Before he goes to MEPS for the first time, he'll sign an "open contract" that officially puts him in the DEP, but without a job. Once he goes to MEPS for the first time and they can see what kind of job he can do, he'll sign a contract for his MOS field.

As far as the "higher level" he'll be officially a "Private First Class" instead of a "Private" as far as his paychecks go when he goes off to bootcamp. I don't know exactly how to go about getting that signed for before boot camp, but I think it's just another paper. I didn't take care of it before boot camp, and even though it was a bigger hassle to take care of, they do give you the chance to take care of it during boot camp. (Pay will be backdated too.)

Hope that answers your questions!

newskate9
02-26-10, 01:22 PM
Sir, it does. And I thank you.

You'll probably hear from me next after returning from DEP swear in! Won't miss that for the world!

Semper Fi, Marine

CRR21
02-27-10, 08:13 AM
I'm waiting to ship out on September 7th. As TinDragon said, he will sign an open contract the first time he goes to MEPS. I didn't sign my MOS contract until 2 months later. I have quite a few college credits and will also be going in as a PFC. My advanced rank was stated in the open contract I signed at MEPS.

newskate9
02-27-10, 02:47 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience too. Getting nervous as Tuesday approaches but knowing he'll be the likes of folks on this board, golly who could ask for anything better?

God bless you, CRR21 and all, and you stay safe.

the802
02-27-10, 03:36 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience too. Getting nervous as Tuesday approaches but knowing he'll be the likes of folks on this board, golly who could ask for anything better?

God bless you, CRR21 and all, and you stay safe.

If I may ask, where do you live? I happen to be going to MEPS on the same day as your son, looking towards the same MOS.