PDA

View Full Version : Would i be fit for enlistment?

williamstamato
02-25-10, 02:16 PM
I am currently a junior in High School and am a member of my schools varsity football squad. Mind you I am an offensive lineman but quite a small one at that. I am a lean 214 pounds at a short stout 5 foot 8. I am only about 20% body fat and i know on the Marine height/weight chart i do not meet expectations. I am an avid powerlifter, I am very well conditioned, and athletic for my size.

Bottom line is, Would I be accepted into enlistment?

I know i will definitely drop some weight after my senior year of football has concluded, in hope to ready myself for recruit training.

So a little help to any Marines out there who were in my situation in high school? Or help from any Marine period?

Thanks!

BR34
02-25-10, 02:18 PM
I think 20% is kinda high for a Marine, but it probably won't get you disqualified, unless you look like a bag of golf balls in our uniform. Talk to a recruiter.

BR34
02-25-10, 02:21 PM
Edit to the above^ <br />
<br />
I just double checked and it looks like you need to be &lt;18% body fat to be accepted. Your max weight is 203lbs. When/if you become a Marine the standards become more strict.

Lisa 23
02-25-10, 02:23 PM
Being an athlete, you seem like you're fit, but only you would know that, not the Marines here.
My suggestion to you would be to drop some weight before you even talk with a recruiter. He/She is only going to tell you that anyway before they even talk with you.
Good luck to you. :thumbup:

crazymjb
02-25-10, 03:37 PM
I'd go ahead and talk to a recruiter, they'll tell you exactly what if anything you need to do or lose, but I'd plan on having to drop a few pounds. Just because you aren't at weight now doesn't mean that you shouldn't get started on the enlistment process, or at the very least the gathering information process.

Mike

williamstamato
02-25-10, 08:35 PM
I'd go ahead and talk to a recruiter, they'll tell you exactly what if anything you need to do or lose, but I'd plan on having to drop a few pounds. Just because you aren't at weight now doesn't mean that you shouldn't get started on the enlistment process, or at the very least the gathering information process.

Mike

Yeah thanks, thats exactly what im doing now. Gathering what i need to know and seeing where I need to be by the time it comes to me signing that contract(hopefully). As far as dropping some pounds, that will come after my senior football season, you don't want to be a 200 pound offensive lineman in high school football! LOL. Thanks for all the suggestions Marines!! I will definitely be making my first call to my local recruiter sometime next week!

TunTvrnWarrior
02-25-10, 08:48 PM
How are your grades? If they are decent, why not shoot for the Naval Academy with a Marine Corps option? Now is the time to start planning for it if you are going to do it. Check out the Naval Academy website, and start contacting your local US Congressman and US Senators on what you need to do to get an appointment to the Naval Academy. (I believe you will eventually fit the height weight standards, you are still growing). Grades, Athletics, and leadership in High School is what they look for.

williamstamato
02-25-10, 10:17 PM
How are your grades? If they are decent, why not shoot for the Naval Academy with a Marine Corps option? Now is the time to start planning for it if you are going to do it. Check out the Naval Academy website, and start contacting your local US Congressman and US Senators on what you need to do to get an appointment to the Naval Academy. (I believe you will eventually fit the height weight standards, you are still growing). Grades, Athletics, and leadership in High School is what they look for.

I have very good grades but I dont think theyre good enough for naval academy. I have in fact looked into military academies and I dont think I would be accepted. I know kids who got accepted into West Point, and the Naval Academy. They were straight A students, in every club in High School, class president, etc. Im just your average honor roll student. (A's and B's), with a 3.3 gpa. Plus, I dont think these academies are for me. But hey thanks for the suggestion!