PDA

View Full Version : Afghan Care Packages

polizei
02-25-10, 11:15 AM
Hey guys, my girlfriend's daycare got together and they have roughly about 50-60 lbs of material to send to Afghan. I just called a local UPS store and they don't ship to APO's, and they only option they had was USPS Global, at a rate of over $800 to ship.

What's the best way to ship this stuff? I also need boxes, if anyone has ideas. It's suppose to go out soon...still trying to figure out if it's APO/FPO, and the city.

Thanks and Semper Fi

RYDERKUR
02-25-10, 12:51 PM
USPS Flat Rate. They give you the boxes too. For like the 10"X10"X5" boxes, they're like $13.00.

Sally
02-25-10, 12:58 PM
Go to your local post office. You can also get free boxes sent to you for free online on their website.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10001233&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000036&top=&currentPage=0&sort=&viewAll=N&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10001233

They are free Priority Mail APO/FPO Flat Rate Boxes and it costs $13 to send out each box. And don't forget your customs form for each box.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10000266&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000059&top=&currentPage=0&sort=&viewAll=N&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10000266

polizei
02-25-10, 01:03 PM
Sweet thanks. I called the local USPS store.

Semper Fi

polizei
02-25-10, 01:13 PM
Oh, and this is going to a unit in 1/3 if anyone cares. I think they're in southern Afghan.

Semper Fi

IDontWheeze
02-25-10, 01:55 PM
I called my local recruiting office a few months ago, and was told we can drop anything off there. A company comes every 2 weeks or so and takes care of shipping the care packages overseas.The recruiters are obvioulsy busy, but the company handles everything - the office is just a drop-off site. My wife and I try to bring supplies there every other week or so, as money allows. Maybe you can call her local area recruiting office and see if you can drop the packages there. They could possibly handle all the shipping. However, I know it is a charitable organization that picks up the supplies and ships them, so this might only work in my area. Good luck, and thank you for your service.

polizei
02-25-10, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think anyone around here does that. Plus, this is going to an individuals platoon.

polizei
02-26-10, 09:18 AM
Ok guys new problem...the boxes I picked up yesterday are the large flat rate boxes. After building one, it's just not going to work. They are way too small. We have food, towels, baby wipes, etc. I'm going to call my recruiter and see if he has any thoughts. I need to send this stuff out but frankly can't afford to ship all this in those small boxes!

Semper Fi

foreverproud
02-26-10, 12:07 PM
polizei,

Flat rate boxes are not always the least expensive way to mail to APO addresses. Depending where the APO address is will determine if it is worth using the Flat Rate box.

... For example, my son's APO zip code begins with a "9" and since I live on the West Coast it is actually cheaper for me to ship in just old plain boxes. I learned this when I had packed 18 flat rate boxes at $13.00 something each with friends during the holidays.... and when I took them to the Post Office the clerk there said I was spending way too much to ship the 18 individual boxes. She told me to get two big boxes and put everything into two boxes. So instead of $234.00 dollars for 18 individual boxes I paid under $40.00 for two big boxes. If my son's APO zip code had started with a "0" (east coast) then maybe the Flat Rate boxes would have been helpful.

... so keep in mind what the APO zip code is and where you are shipping from.... a Postal worker should provide you with this information...

Hope that was helpful .... any other questions just let me know ... I also know a Marine Mom who is a postal worker.

IDontWheeze
02-26-10, 02:08 PM
Polizei,

What is the shipping rate? My company would be happy to make a donation to help with shipping the care packages to the 1/3 Marines.

Its the least I can do.

polizei
02-26-10, 03:36 PM
IDontWheeze, that would be fantastic. I'm not 100% sure on the rate, because I'm still trying to figure out the best way to ship it.

This is the address I have:

SPO AP 96607-4010

I'm not even sure what that means, but the girlfriend of the Marine who is in 1/3 says thats what she puts on the label (obviously with the 1/3 and unit number as well) and it gets to him.

Foreverproud, do you know if USPS ships big boxes not are not USPS boxes? IE. like you said, I won't have a problem getting a few big boxes locally, but will they also ship them?

Thanks everyone, this is a bit frustrating lol.

Meserole08orah
02-26-10, 03:51 PM
you also can take a big packing tub and send it. but no likie a plane brown box you can use. also if you want you can ask people to donate too.

IDontWheeze
02-26-10, 03:54 PM
Well just let me know when you figure it out, and I will take care of it. PM me your address and I will mail you a check. I've been reading alot about the 1/3 Marines over there, and I would be proud to help out in anyway I can.

One thing - I am getting married, and the funeral is on Sunday :). I leave Tuesday for my honeymoon. If you can get me the info by Monday, I can mail you the check before I leave. Just PM me your name and address, and I will mail the check to you (I will overnight it if you want to get the stuff out fast). You can just cash the check and pay for the shipping. Just try to find the best rate you can.

Thanks again for your service. My family sleeps safe at night because Marines like you are willing to stand guard.

polizei
02-26-10, 04:02 PM
Thanks. Yea I'll try and figure it out by Monday. I want to get the things sent out fairly soon. I don't have too much info, I just know they're in southern Afghan (I think Helmand Province) which is one of the worst places right now. Trying to get much needed supplies to them, as I'm sure I would also like stuff if I was over there.

IDontWheeze
02-26-10, 04:10 PM
Okay. I just need to know the how much you need by Monday. Otherwise, I won't be home until next Saturday, and I'm sure you want to ship the packages ASAP. Worst case, I guess, is we have to wait until next Saturday. Just send me the info when you get it.

polizei
02-26-10, 04:20 PM
Ok I did some more research, called the local usps store, again. They told me to go to the website and get the information...basically, shipping a 25lbs box, it would cost $141.08. That seems to be...

IDontWheeze
02-26-10, 04:31 PM
Don't worry about it at all Marine. In no way shape or form did I ever think you wanted to do anything but help your brothers in harms way, and I'm happy to help. The thought of you profiting did not cross my mind at all!

Like I said, just let me know when you get the total, and I will send the check.

foreverproud
02-26-10, 05:23 PM
Wait .... no need to ship UPS .... just ship regular U.S. Post Office. UPS will cost you twice as much. UPS won't get there any faster either.

A 25lb box or around there with the U.S. Post Office should only cost between $20 to $30 if you live in an area code the starts with a "9" and shipping to an APO zip code staring with a "9". The same thing goes with APO zip codes starting with "0" ... if you are shipping from a state with a zip code starting with zero to an APO zip code starting with "0" then you are paying the lowest rate. The further away you live from the APO zip code the more you pay. For example I live in California which has zip codes starting with "9", but if my son's APO address started with a "0" I'd want to consider using Flat Rate boxes you can get free from the U.S. Post Office. I guess if you live in the middle of the U.S. it wouldn't make much difference one way or the other, but the closer you live to the APO zip code the less the shipping will cost you.

..... but don't use UPS or any other delivery service ... they are business and they will cost you way more .............

I ship my son out something everyweek.... if I were using UPS I'd wouldn't be able to pay my morgage....... :)

foreverproud
02-26-10, 05:30 PM
BTW .... I made the same mistake when I started sending things to my son .... I used UPS too ... I didn't realize that the rates were so different. I was sending stuff to Pensacola and going broke. :)

polizei
02-26-10, 06:30 PM
Thanks. Yea UPS would kill me lol! Not really entirely sure, but I'm in Ohio, shipping to southern Afghan. USPS' prices are $141 per 25 lbs. I'm hoping to fit most things in one big box, then maybe one flat-rate box.

Thanks for all the info, I'd really be lost without it!

polizei
02-26-10, 07:33 PM
Hey another question for you guys...I looked on USPS' website, but couldn't find out any restrictions for items. All it listed was that customs forms are required.

Is there a list somewhere that tells me items that can/cannot be sent? I want to make sure before customs decides to rip the packages open and destroy everything.

Zulu 36
02-26-10, 09:46 PM
There should be a list of prohibited items on the USPS site. Basically anything illegal is a no-no (dope, alcohol, guns, ammo, etc).

I pack anything that might leak in double zip-lock bags, plus duct tape the lids down (I ship #1 daughter her favorite shampoo & conditioner which isn't carried by the PX). Avoid breakables, of course.

I fill out the customs forms at the post office, but they will give you a few to take home if you plan to ship again.

My personal favorite care package from home while I was in Vietnam was a three-pound coffee can filled with pistachio nuts. My mom sent one per month.

foreverproud
02-26-10, 11:13 PM
Prohibited items to the region of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom:

http://www.usps.com/supportingourtroops/mailingrestrictions.htm

Military addressing tips:

http://www.usps.com/supportingourtroops/addressingtips.htm

This one is mostly for merchants but it has good information on
package size and weight restrictions:

http://www.oconus.com/ZipCodes.asp

.... I was thinking this over and ... not sure ... but I think that only retailers/on-line merchants can ship UPS to an APO or FPO address, but even there the UPS has to forward the address to USPS.

.... so good luck ... I hope the links above help.

Many blessings .....

polizei
02-27-10, 09:12 AM
Thanks everyone. Just to give a little update as well...we have a lot more supplies, especially food, than I thought. So instead of sending everything to 1/3, I'm going to split it up some and also send a package to my buddy and sister company MP Co Bravo, who is also in Afghan.

Semper Fi

Zulu 36
02-27-10, 09:57 AM
According to an article I read sometime back by Michael Yon, FedEx and DHL does deliver to Afghanistan - at least to Kanadahar. I haven't asked #1 daughter if Bagram has those services, but I would Imagine it does since it is as big, or bigger than Kandahar.

The trick would be getting any stuff from there into the field.

polizei
03-05-10, 10:41 AM
New one for you guys...I talked to one Marine who is a friend of mine, and I asked him but he didn't know...we got a donation of two cases of contact-solution. I've never been deployed, so I don't know, but are deployed Marines authorized to wear contacts? If so, I'll send it out, but it's heavy. If not, anyone interested in two cases? I need to sell it so I can buy other things for them.

Thanks

Zulu 36
03-05-10, 12:20 PM
New one for you guys...I talked to one Marine who is a friend of mine, and I asked him but he didn't know...we got a donation of two cases of contact-solution. I've never been deployed, so I don't know, but are deployed Marines authorized to wear contacts? If so, I'll send it out, but it's heavy. If not, anyone interested in two cases? I need to sell it so I can buy other things for them.

Thanks

From what I read, people outside the wire are not allowed to wear contacts for two reasons, one, just basic dirt and hygienic care problems, and two, the heat from IEDs fuses them to your eyeballs.

I think most FOBBITS/REMFS are allowed when inside the wire. My Air Force daughter wears her contacts most of the time when she is indoors, but swaps them out to BCGs and goggles when she has to transfer patients on and off aircraft because of the dirt flying around.

polizei
03-05-10, 12:43 PM
Thanks Zulu, that clears it up. I know both platoons are are usually outside the wire. I'll hold off on sending them.

IDontWheeze
03-08-10, 07:43 AM
Polizei, I'm back from the honeymoon, and ready to go with whatever you need. I will shoot you a PM. Let me know if you have any updates.