PDA

View Full Version : Did pretty good on the ASVAB today...

wdshea
02-24-10, 10:41 PM
Got a 98 overall.

I want to do Recon, a GT score of 105 is needed, and I got a 147.

Is there any benefit to being higher than the minimum required? (i.e. promotion)

I have my physical tomorrow, hopefully everything will be fine with my broken leg...

Zulu 36
02-25-10, 06:06 AM
Got a 98 overall.

I want to do Recon, a GT score of 105 is needed, and I got a 147.

Is there any benefit to being higher than the minimum required? (i.e. promotion)

I have my physical tomorrow, hopefully everything will be fine with my broken leg...

No special benefit for a higher score other than the fact that you might be smarter than the average bear and be able to pick up the academics faster than others. However, it will be a benefit when they review your whole package and see you got a solid passing GT score and not just a bare minimum.

crazymjb
02-25-10, 05:11 PM
Crap a 147!? I thought my 145 was good. Still beat you with my AFQT though ;)

As Zulu said it doesn't hurt. It also will help you with getting into a commissioning program if you decide to go that route. I'm already in school as a reservist but my platoon commander called me up to speak with him the other day about commissioning and getting into various programs just because of my scores (he re-joined the platoon relatively recently). If you keep yourself squared away it will definitely reflect well on you. Also, don't worry about going the infantry route with those scores (if people give you crap for it), the smartest guys I've met thus far have been 03s.

Mike

wdshea
02-25-10, 11:02 PM
All the other prospects at MEPS were pretty impressed. I didn't expect to do THAT well. Like I said, I really want to do Recon, but I'm afraid my minimal drug history (marijuana) may affect that possibility. I did not lie, nor have I ever been arrested/on probation. I'm afraid it's going to disallow my Secret Clearance.

Do you Marines think that will cause denial of my Secret Clearance?

Lisa 23
02-25-10, 11:53 PM
You needing a drug waiver may dash your hopes all together. Make sure you tell your recruiter and don't lie about it, they will find out about it, and take it from there. <br />
Good luck to you. <br />
<br />

Sgt Leprechaun
02-26-10, 12:27 AM
It's really going to depend on the frequency of use and how long ago you used. If yoiu used weed 5 times a week for 6 months, you are hosed.

If you smoked dope 3 times in the past year, you'll likely be ok.

blackshirts
02-26-10, 11:55 AM
You gotta be kidding...you may have ruined your chances dishing out your history like you shouldn't have, but I think you'll be fine if you have no criminal history and a good ASVAB score to show you've got good potential.

I don't promote lies, but seriously...think.

wdshea
02-27-10, 07:04 PM
Well, the medical report from my broken leg says under social history, "...occasionally uses THC...".

Trust me, I would've lied, but I'm not going to lie when it was written in plain American English...