PDA

View Full Version : MOS Options, Advice?

Munkwy
02-24-10, 02:28 PM
I have some MOS(es?) I would love to do when I join the Corps. I just some information and advice from a Marine who has done the job or knows about the job. Anyway here are the MOS(es?):

0311 (This is my #1 choice, my mother... not so much)
6112-6116 (61xx is the most likely choice I'll go with though)

Thanks in advance Marines. :flag:

Th3 Maelstr0m
02-24-10, 07:19 PM
if u want infantry go infantry. you will be an adult by the time u get to boot camp, so i do not think your mother has much say if that is what u really want. My mom refused to sign me up early, so i enlisted as a 03 on my 18th bday. was she happy? no. but o well.

stein07
02-24-10, 07:30 PM
Your profile says you are a female. If that is accurate, you cannot go infantry.

Munkwy
02-24-10, 07:30 PM
See I didn't know that....

well.... that sucks ***.

Lisa 23
02-24-10, 07:48 PM
Well, if you have a cousin that's in the Marine Corps, he would've been able to tell you that females aren't allowed to go infantry, and if you've seen a recruiter yet, he/she would've been able to tell you that also.

stein07
02-24-10, 07:49 PM
I guess Mom will be happy, though. ;)

Munkwy
02-24-10, 07:56 PM
I bet she will

Poolee Schmidt
02-24-10, 08:06 PM
I picked 03XX for my MOS cause at the time I really wanted to do infantry. Now Ive been thinking alot of 58XX but you have to be 19 to be a MP so I asked my recuiter if I could push back boot camp a few months. He said no cause you cant be enlisted for more then 365 days.

Is there anything I can do I dont want to go to boot camp with 03XX anymore I want to come out with a job skill

Lisa 23
02-24-10, 08:13 PM
Poolee Schmidt, you may want to fill out the rest of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to :thumbup: ....and you may also want to read the rules in the poolee and the Ask A Marine forums, too.

Poolee Schmidt
02-24-10, 08:25 PM
Sorry but where are the poolee rules?

Thanks ma'am just filled them out

Lisa 23
02-24-10, 08:59 PM
Sorry but where are the poolee rules?

Thanks ma'am just filled them out

[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15

Read this before posting in Ask A Marine
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Socal2361
02-24-10, 09:28 PM
6112-6116 Being an aircraft mech you will work very long hours. Promotions will be come somewhat quickly. If you get attached to a rotary wing squadron you will possibly get the opportunity to become an aerial observer, which is a fancy name for a door gunner. One downside is it is a very technical MOS and it will be frustrating at how many constraints you have within your job, and at times it can be very tedious. It is a type of MOS that you either love or hate. Since you were originally wanting 0311 but are unable due to gender I would suggest 5811 Military Police, this is the closest you can get to a combat role as a female. I have limited knowledge on this MOS so any MP's out there feel free to correct me if I am wrong. You will perform the duties of a police officer on base and also stand gate guard for extended periods of time. When deployed you will also perform the duties as a police officer on the base you are on, and you will get the opportunity to do perimeter patrols around the base, and convoy security. You should also do your own research into the jobs that you are considering, remember this will be YOUR job for the next 4-5 years so don't make the decision lightly, and do whats in YOUR best interest not your mothers. She is not the one that will have to live with the job if you make the wrong choice and are unhappy.