PDA

View Full Version : Receiving/MCRD Question

xfusex
02-24-10, 01:11 PM
I've been hearing/reading about specialized running "clinics" on bases. From what I've found/heard, apparently they custom mold insoles and issue you go fasters based on an assessment of your stride/pronation.

Is this accurate? Does this happen at MCRDPI? I haven't found any information on it happening there. I'm assuming this would be a fairly recent addition to the facilities, but I could be wrong.

The point in my asking is I suffer from pretty awful shinsplints. I run in stability shoes with really cushioned insoles. I use the orthotics I was prescribed in my daily shoes/boots because they are too rigid to run in. I currently run 3 miles once a week and do heavy cardio sessions everyday to keep the stress off my shins as I ship on 03/22.

I see my splints as being the only problem I'll encounter during boot camp so I'd like to know if what I've heard applies to boot camp so I can stop worrying about it as much as I have been.

So, any Marines out there that might have the answer?

Thanks in advance.

polizei
02-24-10, 02:24 PM
LOL, you're SOL. At least, when I went. You'll be lucky to get a pair of boots in the correct size. They sell insoles (generic) at the PX, but when I went, RCT's weren't allowed to get them. And you'll hate your life if are really in bad condition like you say you are.

God help you.

BR34
02-24-10, 03:44 PM
I've never heard of running clinics. What they do is make you stand on a box with a light and mirror in it. They look at the arch (or lack of) of your foot and right a code on your hand to let the gear queer issue you the correct shoes.

I have absolutely NO arch in my feet and I went through a lot of pain the first few weeks. My PLT was allowed to buy insoles from the recruit PX and they helped out quite a bit.

polizei
02-24-10, 04:02 PM
Hrmm, must just be a 3rd Bn thing (to not allow them). :D JK JK.

Semper Fi

BR34
02-24-10, 04:20 PM
Hrmm, must just be a 3rd Bn thing (to not allow them). :D JK JK.

Semper Fi

Cause 3rd Bn never runs anywhere.

...and so it begins.

polizei
02-24-10, 04:24 PM
Ahaha. http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif

You're right, we humped our packs everywhere!

thezero
02-24-10, 07:35 PM
You should be able to buy insoles at your first PX call but you will have to gut it out until then. You won't run anywhere your first few days anyways. I forgot when your first PX call will/should be though.

polizei
02-24-10, 07:58 PM
Lol, I guess you better hope for 2nd Bn...apparently you can buy insoles. :D

BR34
02-25-10, 08:17 AM
Ahaha. http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif

You're right, we got humped in packs, everywhere!

Fixed.

crazymjb
02-25-10, 05:08 PM
They do do the light box thing and issue you sneakers accordingly. You also don't run as much as you might believe, my joints got the most sore from drilling.

If you have orthodics I'd recommend having them sent to you if you really need them. You might catch a little **** for it but I doubt it, and it beats getting dropped for an overuse injury.

Mike

Old Marine
02-25-10, 08:27 PM
Are there any worms out there in the world these days who do not have a problem with body parts?

Maybe if Physical Education was still required in school these kids would not have these problems.

polizei
02-25-10, 08:37 PM
I didn't have any problems going in, but my God...the Corps has aged me like 10 years and I'm only 20! It's crazy, my body always hurts. LOL

BR34
02-25-10, 08:45 PM
No sh1t man. I was perfect health before the Marine Corps. Now I've just had surgery on my shoulder, and I feel like a 60 year old man every morning I wake up. I used to have to stretch before PT, now I have to stretch before EVERYTHING, EVERY morning!

xfusex
03-13-10, 04:45 PM
The lack of physical education emphasis in school is definitely an issue in schools, I agree. However that is not the root of my issue. I'm slightly duck footed, and have been my entire life, it only causes me issues when running. Due to the weight distribution, after my heel strikes, then my forefoot, my arch collapses down, stretching all the soft tissue in my shin, which causes the splints. Or at least this is what the podiatrist recently explained to me.

I have orthotic inserts but wasn't sure if I was allowed to use them. I was told about the running clinic-esque procedure, and assumed I would be issued some, similar to the way the take prescription meds and re-issue them.

Thanks for all the input, it helped. I leave for MCRDPI next week.

Marine84
03-13-10, 04:53 PM
How did you make it through MEPS?

Quinbo
03-13-10, 05:11 PM
Nothing more amusing that watching someone pidgeon toed trying to run. It is like they are riding an invisible bike and their feet are egg beaters.

Old Marine
03-13-10, 05:23 PM
The Marine Corps has been a Track Team for quite some time. It used to be that we concentrated on killing the enemy and for at least 40 years in Boot Camp they have been concentrating on being a Track Team. After you sprint two, three hundred yards, its pretty hard to engage the enemy when you are out of breath.

HOWARDROARK3043
03-13-10, 07:52 PM
im confused,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you have those metal things you walk with,,,,didnt forrest gump have those as well---look how well he is doing--------dont give up even if you have metal braces--------

xfusex
03-14-10, 12:03 AM
I made it through MEPS because I have a perfectly fine arch. I don't have flat feet. Everything looks and functions normally when I walk, because my toes point out slightly when walking, which for me, is natural. When I run however, normal biomechanics force me to straighten my feet heel to toe putting them in a position that isn't natural for me, collapsing my arch, and stretching my ligaments and tendons. The orthotic inserts have alleviated the issue for the most part.

And no, orthotic inserts aren't metal leg braces like Forest Gump (but having his running ability wouldn't hurt). It's an insole that has a hardened plastic arch that's higher than a normal insole, providing rigid support.

Also to Bulkyker, I wish I was pigeon toed so when I was a young, this problem could've been medically corrected. My problem is slight enough it was completely ignored until I started getting shin splints.

KidnapSix
03-14-10, 01:40 PM
Hah! I just graduated there were no special shoe issues. We had a chance to buy insoles for our boots before we left for the crucible. When we got out go fasters we were just all sent into a building asked our size and given a pair. Try to take care of you shin splints before you go. You can get dropped for that. Good luck.

thezero
03-16-10, 06:51 PM
You "should" get shoes according to whatever they make on your hand when you go through processing. 3 types one for flat foots, one for high arches and your normal people all were new balance.

TMM54
03-16-10, 08:39 PM
Before you ship out, go to a chiropractor and get evaluated and adjusted - this should not only find the problem causing your shin splints, but fix it and fix it permanently.

Best of luck, Tom