PDA

View Full Version : Eye exam in boot

dziuky
02-24-10, 10:01 AM
Well as I am just a little over a month before I ship I do have a question. I wear glasses and i know I will have to wear BCGs. That part is a fact. I have a question on how they check your eyes when you get to boot camp. When I went to MEPS they had me take my contacts out and look into a machine that gave them a rough idea of what my eyes were at. I say rough because it is a full diaptor more than I wear. Im not saying the person there doesnt know how to do his job but my mother is my optometrist. i know i can not wera my contacts to boot thus is why i have gotten a new pair of glasses in the past couple weeks. I just am wondering if they will take the prescription right off my glasses or give me a full exam or do they just use a little machine. Two of those are fine with me and will ensure I get the right prescription so I can focus my eyes normal. Any help would be grateful. Thank you

Hanzo
02-24-10, 10:04 AM
You will not get a "full" exam. Its very quick and dirty but it gets the job done. Keep in mind, you're only going to wear them for 13 weeks so if its not perfect, its not the end of the world. For what its worth, mine was pretty good and I have a very bad astigmatism.

dziuky
02-24-10, 10:16 AM
Thank you Marine for the quick response. I went in yesterday and my mom showed me what it would be like off. Its not bad just annoying because everything gets so small. I have just been spoiled with corrected perfect vision and hate giving that part up.

brian0351
02-24-10, 10:36 AM
From what I can remember...I think they measured the prescription off your civvie glasses and started from there. So if your mom is an optometrist...make sure your glasses are up to date. You may end up with the same or similar prescription.

dziuky
02-24-10, 10:39 AM
Thank you Marine. I just got my pair of glasses less than a month ago so it is my current up to date prescription.

BR34
02-24-10, 10:43 AM
mine was pretty good and I have a very bad astigmatism.

Same here. Actually, my astigmatism is so bad I didn't have my BCGs delivered until about the 3rd week of bootcamp.

But I'm sitting here right now wearing the same prescription in a different pair of glasses that I had while I was in bootcamp. I just took the prescription to Walmart and had them make me a couple pair, and this was 3 years ago.

Just have faith that what they're doing at bootcamp has been mastered over many years and countless recruits before you.

Hanzo
02-24-10, 11:29 AM
And keep in mind, you won't need your eyes much there anyway.

:evilgrin: "Eyes front, pig! I guess its ok to just eyeball my whole f***ing base, right?!?" :evilgrin: