PDA

View Full Version : 7 second phone call

Tracylaud83
02-23-10, 08:13 PM
It's been 25+ years since I went to Boot, My son (Paul) left a few days ago. We got the 7 second call from him. I forgot all about that call.
I thought it was soooooo funny.
He stutterd halfway thru the "Statement", and you could hear the D.I.'s yelling at him for it.
I laughed so hard I was crying.
Oh the times he's in for.
No matter how many stories I told him, and tried to prepare him, there is nothing like going thru it yourself.

egbutler1
02-23-10, 08:18 PM
Hahaha, he has no idea. I remember that phone call lol "I'm here and im safe love you bye" LOL

Tracylaud83
02-23-10, 08:25 PM
Quote "Thissss is RECRUIT Laudenslager, Don't send breakables or parishable, I have arrived, ahhhhhhhhh, (Yelling the background, sounded like D.I. was on the line yelling). pause, I'm alive, I'm fine, letter will be recieved in 7 days." CLICK

My wife look concerned, I doubled over laughing.
The tears were from the thought that I will NEVER see my baby boy again. Next time it will be as a FELLOW MARINE.........

sparkie
02-23-10, 08:29 PM
In '69, there was no phonecalls. Your post made me laugh. Let the crap begin. Your boy will br fine staff,,,,,,,,, Congrats,,,,,,,,,,,

Yea,,,, You no longer have a baby boy,,,,,,,, Semper Fi,,,

foreverproud
02-24-10, 12:04 AM
My husband picked up the phone ... he listened ... seemed in shock for a moment and then just laughed and laughed. I stood there wondering what is so funny ... once he told me about the D.I. yelling at him in the background .... I was doubled over too.

March 10th will be 2 years since my son walked out the door for bootcamp...he's got 3 more active years..... so, Tracylaud ... I enjoyed your post ... it gave me a laugh and a pleasant memory. The very best to your son!

SGT7477
02-24-10, 07:08 AM
It's been 25+ years since I went to Boot, My son (Paul) left a few days ago. We got the 7 second call from him. I forgot all about that call.
He stutterd halfway thru the "Statement", and you could hear the D.I.'s yelling at him for it.
No matter how many stories I told him, and tried to prepare him, there is nothing like going thru it yourself.
That's a good one, Never Forget.:D

usmcdanno
02-24-10, 12:20 PM
No phone calls when I went through in 1981 either. I think they made us write a letter as soon as we got there though. Too bad you couldn't have recorded that for later posterity. The thing about boot camp is that after about two weeks, you start to realize that you'll probably live through it, lol!!

b2542
02-24-10, 12:30 PM
No phone calls back in 68.

Zulu 36
02-24-10, 12:37 PM
We had calls in 1971 - collect only.

jrhd97
02-24-10, 03:33 PM
My mom remembers the phone call. I don't.

Rocky C
02-24-10, 03:37 PM
Phone Calls???
We didn't in 1977 Parris Island.

tdrt
02-24-10, 04:11 PM
My mom called me at boot camp because she hadn't heard from me!!! Guess she must have given someone holy hell since my DI made me call home. So while on the phone with mom, my DI kept yelling at me and I actually shushed her!!! Oh holy hell! I never did so many mountain climbers in my life! Got a nice, high tight butt though.

usmcdanno
02-24-10, 04:48 PM
If mama ain't happy.....ain't nobody gonna be happy! I told my mom and everybody I'd probably see them in 3 months. When I finally told my mother that I had joined the Marine Corps (the day before I shipped), she was not a happy camper. I spent a total of 12 days in DEP, lol. She was so ****ed, she wouldn't even take me to the recruiter's office to catch the bus to PI. So I drove my own car there, left it in the parking lot, handed the recruiter my keys and my uncle later picked it up. I regret now that I worried her so much. She passed away, almost to the day, one year before I retired. That's the only regret that I have about joining the Marine Corps. She didn't live to see me retire and stop worrying about me.

Big Jim
02-24-10, 07:13 PM
I know we had a phone call too....dammed if I remember what I said though.....

TinDragon
02-25-10, 07:35 AM
We had a phone call, but I couldn't get ahold of my parents, my recruiter... anybody. Since my DI told me I HAD to get someone, I eventually got my grandma... who had no idea any sort of phone call was coming. Parents told me later she was confused as hell, haha.

Silentwarrior17
02-25-10, 07:41 AM
I remember being so flustered that I don't even dial a number to anyone, just pushed buttons. I just said into the phone 'Hi I made it, I'm safe, love you, I got food' then just hung it up and the DI was never the wiser.

Hanzo
02-25-10, 11:49 AM
We had a surprising amount of time for our first phone call. We did it in waves, so my guess is that one recruit was having a hard time getting ahold of anyone so they rest of us just kept talking. I got my mom's recorder and just kept talking.

A week or so later, we also signed a form letter saying we were safe that was mailed home giving our platoon number, etc. I kept every letter written or received during bootcamp and transcribed the voicemail I left for my mom, so I remember all of it.

I was writing a book awhile back about my experiences using my letters as a day to day update, but a computer virus destroyed several hundred pages. I'll have to do it again one of these days.

Cervantes
02-25-10, 11:58 AM
Cant wait til i get my 7 second phone call haha

sscjoe
02-25-10, 12:17 PM
Phone Calls???
We didn't in 1977 Parris Island.

I'm with you Rocky, 1975 3rd Bn no phone call.

Sally
02-25-10, 01:01 PM
I had integrity and let the DI know that nobody picked up my phone calls. It was frustrating and they kept bugging me to keep calling them every day until somebody picks up... too much of a hassle. I guess they're only doing it so they don't get phone calls from worried families every damn day.

momreigle
03-16-10, 09:47 AM
My son left yesterday at 12 noon for Parris Island and i received my phone call at 12:14 a.m. he sounded awesome and did not hear the DI in the background. he must have followed his directions pretty well hope he keeps it up

tdrt
03-16-10, 09:56 AM
My son left yesterday at 12 noon for Parris Island and i received my phone call at 12:14 a.m. he sounded awesome and did not hear the DI in the background. he must have followed his directions pretty well hope he keeps it up

Ah, but the fun has only just begun. Give it a couple weeks

momreigle
03-16-10, 12:11 PM
Ah, but the fun has only just begun. Give it a couple weeks
oh i know!! i'm just hoping he does good

Hanzo
03-16-10, 12:22 PM

He won't. No one does. But then again, in recruit training, 'good' is somewhat relative. He WILL screw up, he WILL get thrashed and he WILL lather, rinse and repeat. But as long as he learns as he goes and doesn't repeat his inevitable mistakes, he'll be fine.

tdrt
03-16-10, 12:46 PM

Oh, momma, your baby is going to do just fine. But just know that it really doesn't matter how well he does, he will get his ass chewed for just breathing. It's inevitable. It's just part of the making of a Marine.

CplKJSpevak
03-16-10, 12:54 PM
In 1992 3rd. Bn. PI we did not get a phone call. But someone called to say we've arrived safely, (from MEPS or recruiters office??) but my parents DID get a call, just not from me. They did have us send off postcards with our contact info only, right away.

hussaf
03-16-10, 11:28 PM
Quote "Thissss is RECRUIT Laudenslager, Don't send breakables or parishable, I have arrived, ahhhhhhhhh, (Yelling the background, sounded like D.I. was on the line yelling). pause, I'm alive, I'm fine, letter will be recieved in 7 days." CLICK

My wife look concerned, I doubled over laughing.
The tears were from the thought that I will NEVER see my baby boy again. Next time it will be as a FELLOW MARINE.........

Man, that must be a total trip! My wife and I are just now talking about kids...I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have a kid, let alone one that becomes a Marine. Best of luck to him!

BTW, no one was home for my call, I got the answering machine and basically left a sarcastic message (parents didn't own cell phones), which I got yelled at for doing.

buggoffextco
03-18-10, 08:25 AM
No phone call either for me in 1975 3rd Bn PI. We did write a short note mailed the day after arrival. My head is still spinning...lol

micarr57
03-18-10, 10:06 PM
i went to hollywood to get my eagle globe and anchor in 75 we had a call not quite sure what i said i did make a call the beginning of the fun and games

SlingerDun
03-18-10, 10:12 PM
Phone call?! hell we'd only been away from home a short whilehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

kman311
03-18-10, 11:12 PM
Wrote an "I'm here, I'm fine" letter. No phone calls 1983 Parris Island. Got to call home one Sunday morning after winning 2 pugil stick fights.

LetUsNvr4Get
03-19-10, 02:36 AM
My mom called me at boot camp because she hadn't heard from me!!! Guess she must have given someone holy hell since my DI made me call home. So while on the phone with mom, my DI kept yelling at me and I actually shushed her!!! Oh holy hell! I never did so many mountain climbers in my life! Got a nice, high tight butt though.

when i went through in 05, my mother decided to call up my SDI and try and convince him that I was mentally unstable, that I was unaware of the choices I was making and that if they didn't release me from the "program" that I would most definitely end up hurting someone or myself.

After a 30 min phone con with my mother, of course i get called into the hooch, and the SDI asks me a few questions, and then says "well if you are mentally unstable, you are just what the Marine Corps needs." :D

kfisbusy
03-19-10, 04:39 AM
:evilgrin:I had no phone calls in 72 at P.I. wrote a letter home throw. I belive it was up to the D.I. if you made a phone call or not. As a D.I. Myself inweapons training at P.I. & S.D. I didn't give phone calls home at all. lol.:flag::iwo: SSGT. Francisco.

tdrt
03-19-10, 08:42 AM
when i went through in 05, my mother decided to call up my SDI and try and convince him that I was mentally unstable, that I was unaware of the choices I was making and that if they didn't release me from the "program" that I would most definitely end up hurting someone or myself.

After a 30 min phone con with my mother, of course i get called into the hooch, and the SDI asks me a few questions, and then says "well if you are mentally unstable, you are just what the Marine Corps needs." :D

Ya, guess we're all a little mentally unstable! My mom and brother (ex Army) had bets on how long I would last in boot camp -- either I would get kicked out because of my mouth/temper or tell them to shove it and quit. Shocked the hell out of them!

AAV Crewchief
03-19-10, 08:44 AM

He got a 7 second phone call? The only person I know from my platoon that got a phone call home was the guy who ended up as series high shooter on the rifle range. Of course that was 1982...eons ago!!!:D:D:D OK, now you really old salts can make fun of me!!!

hussaf
03-19-10, 01:02 PM
He got a 7 second phone call? The only person I know from my platoon that got a phone call home was the guy who ended up as series high shooter on the rifle range. Of course that was 1982...eons ago!!!:D:D:D OK, now you really old salts can make fun of me!!!

SOP now is that, during receiving before the recruits even meet their real Drill Instructors, everybody lines up in a hall way with pay phones and calls their POC/guardian to let them know they got to recruit training safely. This is to reduce the number of worried parents attempting to contact the base. I've heard rumors of recruits getting phones calls or Burger King b/c they did something good in training, but we never got anything like that. I had two possibles on the Rifle Range and all I got was a canteen cup of warm powdered gatorade. The only ppl. in our platoon that called home were the ones with family members who worked/lived in NYC (9/11 happened in like the last two or three weeks of my bootcamp).

Hanzo
03-19-10, 01:11 PM
SOP now is that, during receiving before the recruits even meet their real Drill Instructors, everybody lines up in a hall way with pay phones and calls their POC/guardian to let them know they got to recruit training safely. This is to reduce the number of worried parents attempting to contact the base. I've heard rumors of recruits getting phones calls or Burger King b/c they did something good in training, but we never got anything like that. I had two possibles on the Rifle Range and all I got was a canteen cup of warm powdered gatorade. The only ppl. in our platoon that called home were the ones with family members who worked/lived in NYC (9/11 happened in like the last two or three weeks of my bootcamp).

Hahahaha, yes, the old Burger King line. Yeah, we got "Burger King" alright. I'd tell the story here, but I wouldn't want to ruin the fun for any new recruits who might read this.

Zulu 36
03-19-10, 01:35 PM
As I said in Post #9 - we got to make collect only calls from Receiving. Whether you got someone or not, we wrote postcards with our addresses that night (fill in the blanks).

Phone calls (collect only) were sometimes given as rewards for special achievements. I aced both written (and practical exams), so I was allowed one call for each (total of two calls, not four). So did anyone else that aced them - several others did. High shooter got one, so did high PFT. They allowed us about three minutes on these calls - assuming you got through. If no one was home, or the call was refused, too bad, so sad. No do-overs.

I think it was mostly up to the SDI what rewards, if any, were given.

foxman
03-19-10, 04:39 PM
No Phone Calls at PI in 65 either. But then it wouldn't have done any good. I'm from Kentucky and we didn't have a phone back then. Barely had electricity.

tdrt
03-19-10, 05:17 PM
No Phone Calls at PI in 65 either. But then it wouldn't have done any good. I'm from Kentucky and we didn't have a phone back then. Barely had electricity.

Were you a state yet? :angel:

hussaf
03-19-10, 06:43 PM
As I said in Post #9 - we got to make collect only calls from Receiving. Whether you got someone or not, we wrote postcards with our addresses that night (fill in the blanks).

Phone calls (collect only) were sometimes given as rewards for special achievements. I aced both written (and practical exams), so I was allowed one call for each (total of two calls, not four). So did anyone else that aced them - several others did. High shooter got one, so did high PFT. They allowed us about three minutes on these calls - assuming you got through. If no one was home, or the call was refused, too bad, so sad. No do-overs.

I think it was mostly up to the SDI what rewards, if any, were given.

I remember the cards...I was in BC in 2001. I guess we made collect calls too, but I don't remember. They were on pay phones though...so prob.

We never got phone calls as rewards, but I've talked to plenty of people who did (or someone in their plt. did).

My buddy worked in one of the offices doing cleaning (don't remember if it was inside or outside cleaning) for civilian workers during Team Week. I think they were wives of Marines working on base. They let him take naps in their air conditioned office and call home all the time during team week! They'd wake him up if the DI's were approaching the building. Can you believe that crap?! He's one of those guys that kind of stuff happens to all the time though.

foreverproud
03-20-10, 09:25 PM
I remember being upset that my husband picked up the phone for that 7 second call from boot camp.

Well... I got a 1 minute phone call at 4 a.m. about a week ago after a month and a half of no word from my son ... since right before Marjah. Best 60 seconds ever!! He was able to call back the next day... again at 4 a.m. my time ... and we talked about 15 minutes. Heaven!

LetUsNvr4Get
03-20-10, 10:34 PM
Ya, guess we're all a little mentally unstable! My mom and brother (ex Army) had bets on how long I would last in boot camp -- either I would get kicked out because of my mouth/temper or tell them to shove it and quit. Shocked the hell out of them!

yea thats basically what my mother told my SDI, i've never had the chance to ask her about it though, since i havent talked to her in 5 years. guess i proved her wrong though. i made it through Boot Camp and was only in a very few fights actually. :D

Quinbo
03-20-10, 10:57 PM
For the life of me I can't remember if I got a phone call or not. I do remember filling out the postcard. Everything was pretty much on there already except name and platoon info.

Maybe I did make a phone call on R-1 but if I did I don't recall.

Somewhere near the end of 3rd phase we were marched down to the phone banks and given to oppurtunity to make a collect call home.

I think the call home is a change for the better. I spent a couple hours in the USO at the san diego airport and called from there before I ever got on the bus.

Silentwarrior17
03-21-10, 02:48 PM
I remember I got a phone call home granted by my Series Gunny. I ended up knocking one of the other recruits out during the final pugel stick bouts in the "gauntlet" and was granted a 5 min call.

BOOGIEMAN44
03-21-10, 05:40 PM
I remember making that call...WOW, what a flash back, I on the other hand, won't recive that call, my Daughter has joined the Army as an M.P., I did get a T-Shirt that reads..." Marine by Choise, Army Parent by Force"...Got a lovem...:banana::flag::banana:

Bruce59
03-21-10, 07:18 PM
Now let me see, phone calls? No, no phone calls in Nov.26, 1959 at
Parris Island, and I don't think they had them on the west coast either.
And for all you wise guys out there, YES we had phones way back then.
Come to think of it, we didn't have yellow foot prints either. All we had was the bus stopping at reciving and 5 DIs came out 4 with cut off pool sticks in there hands, it was just about then you heared under everybody breath say, OH S*** what was I thinking. One DI got on the bus gave
his speech and told us to get the hell off his bus. If we had a phone call
I wonder what would I have said? Hi its me I made it to Parris Island ok,
not to sure I'm going to live though this, love you, bye.