PDA

View Full Version : Will I be disqualified for enlistment?

devin0116
02-23-10, 06:34 PM
My name is Devin, I am 17 years old. I have wanted to be in the military since I can remember and a Marine since 5th grade. But now I will continue with my question. <br />
<br />
I suppose that this somewhat...

usmcmsf
02-23-10, 07:04 PM
You would have a hard time getting in now. They can find out anything and everything they want to about you. They are pretty picky now days.

Lisa 23
02-23-10, 07:52 PM
Don't count on getting a waiver approved these days.
And like usmcmsf said, they are very picky these days and you'll have a hard time getting in now, especially with the Marine Corps meeting its quota and beyond.

Criminal History Waivers
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/criminal.-um-.htm

FattyTheFerret
02-23-10, 07:57 PM
Always disclose everything but there is the (small) chance that if the charges are dropped when they ask the county in question your record will come back clean. It doesn't matter what you tell them,...

Zulu 36
02-23-10, 08:14 PM
Court records NEVER go away. They may be sealed, they may be restricted, but they NEVER go away. Same thing with the police reports.

It is not hard for a reasonably proficient background investigator to discover that these records exist and if he/she really wants to read them, that too is very possible because you will be required to allow access as a condition of employment or granting of a security clearance.

Sadly, everyone else is stating the truth. These days people are lined up trying to get into the Corps and the recruiters are not taking people needing waivers of your type. Why do all that work when the next kid in the door is 100% clean?

brian0351
02-23-10, 11:15 PM
Everyone here pretty much said what needs to be said.

However, I have to ask...You've always wanted to be a Marine, yet you didn't have the self discipline to stay away from drugs and not trespass? Have you stopped using drugs at all?

Your offenses are waiverable but like everyone said, why are they going to put time and effort into someone when there is a line of people who kept themselves out of trouble waiting to get in? Best bet is to wait until you complete all required sentences before approaching a recruiter. Stay clean.

You may have a shot at the reserves.

devin0116
02-24-10, 01:01 PM
Unfortunatley I lacked the self-discipline to make the right decision. However I admit my mistake and take full responsibility for what I did. I have not touched drugs ever since, nor will I ever. I have bootcamp this Saturday where I guess they yell at me and try to scare me out of ever using drugs again, which is unecessary because I have learned my lesson. Thank you for your responses, I will do everything in my power to right this and hopefully be granted waivers for my mistake.

Best Regards,
-Devin

polizei
02-24-10, 04:07 PM
If you lack self-discipline, why would I want you in my Corps? You realize we (can) deal with very dangerous things. Even toting a rifle or pistol around can be dangerous. Think about it...Marines don't lack self-discipline (well, most).

FattyTheFerret
02-24-10, 06:17 PM
If you lack self-discipline, why would I want you in my Corps? You realize we (can) deal with very dangerous things. Even toting a rifle or pistol around can be dangerous. Think about it...Marines don't lack self-discipline (well, most).

The whole point of recruit training is to instill discipline. Out 90 some odd recruits maybe ten had a decent amount of discipline prior to those three months.

If he truly wants to be disciplined, a drill instructor team will certainly make that happen.

devin0116
02-24-10, 06:21 PM
Well, what I meant to say was I lacked obvious self discipline in this situation, there is no point in denying it. I don't believe I lack self discipline entirely. I made a bad decision and I want a second chance, But not everyone gets a second chance.

Why would you want me in your Corps? I have Honor in the sense that I stood tall and know what I did was wrong, and I don't blame anyone but myself. I have Courage in the sense that I accept my punishment and won't let this affect me in a negative way. I have Commitment in the sense that I will do all that is necessary to complete my given sanctions in the alotted time and do everything to get a waiver approved.

Lisa 23
02-24-10, 06:28 PM
Like I previously posted, don't count on getting that waiver approved when the Marine Corps is looking for those who don't have to get any waivers for anything......period.

polizei
02-24-10, 07:08 PM
It's good that you're stepping up for your actions. But like WMarine said, it might be too late. Just keep trying.

thezero
02-24-10, 07:27 PM
Sorry but the goal was 202k we have 205k. We have a few guys actually getting kicked for some stupid stuff down here. And once your 18 all charges should be wiped off your record? Unless it is only...

brian0351
02-25-10, 12:03 AM
Also another way to help your case is to get some college credit under your belt. From what I've read here recruiters are looking for HS Grads with 15+ credits.

You made some stupid mistakes as a kid, cleaned up and got some college. That shows responsibility and that you've tried to make up for your mistakes.

Gunner 0313
02-25-10, 12:30 AM
http://www.salagram.net/never-give-up.gif

devin0116
02-25-10, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. If you have any other tips to help I would like to know. Who grants waivers, the recruiter or his/her CO?

Gunner 0313
02-25-10, 02:26 PM
:flag:The sky is the limit. A guy that I served with got a waiver from the Commandant.

FattyTheFerret
02-25-10, 02:58 PM
Recruiters submit waivers. Depending on the type and severity of waivers they may travel up many different levels before final approval.

My waiver had to be approved by B.Gen Salinas before I could ship.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-26-10, 12:08 AM
General officers at the MEPS/Recruiting District Level, usually. Sometimes they have to go to Washington, DC to Headquarters, Marine Corps for approval.

In your case it would likely be a local waiver. Depending on numbers, it may, or may NOT get approved. You'll have to complete everything and have paperwork to prove it, THEN try.

Oh, and needless to say, (But I'm going to anyway), DOPE MAKES YOU STOOPID.

devin0116
02-26-10, 10:23 AM
Thank you. Let's say I get a waiver approved and I pass the eye test (I am slightly colorblind) is it possible for me to get MSG?

BR34
02-26-10, 10:26 AM
MSG isn't something you can get in your contract. It isn't a primary MOS. It's something that would have to be requested once you're in the FMF.

Lisa 23
02-26-10, 10:26 AM
How about you don't get ahead of yourself here and take it one step at a time.

devin0116
02-26-10, 12:15 PM
I know its something you request, just wanted to know my chances.

Lisa 23
02-26-10, 12:33 PM
The waivers you need may or may not get approved, so like I already said, take it one step at a time.

devin0116
02-26-10, 03:26 PM
May I ask another question? I do not know if any of you can answer this but how can I convince a recruiter to take the time to submit a waiver? Meaning how can I say "look, I made a bad decision, but I have made up for my mistakes and am the best candidate." Ok maybe the last part is a little much but how do I sell myself? I have never been good at bragging and hate it. I scored an 87 on the ASVAB and have a 3.5 GPA.

Zulu 36
02-26-10, 03:38 PM
It's going to be one of two things: Either the recruiter has been told by his bosses not to bother with waivers, In which case you're screwed. Or he may personally may not want to bother because he is making his mission just fine without the extra work. In that case you MIGHT be able to beg him, but don't hold your breath.

Lisa 23
02-26-10, 03:39 PM
You can't....plain and simple. I don't think recruiters like it when someone has to "beg".
"Before" you got arrested for tresspassing and doing pot, you should've thought of the consequences then, not now. If being a Marine is something that you wanted to be since you were a kid, then none of this should've happend in the first place. There's always a price to pay for doing crap like this.

devin0116
02-26-10, 04:05 PM
Like I said, I messed up. I have wanted to do this since I was a kid, I just got mixed up in a bad lifestyle. I was never a habitual user or anything, it was only my 5th or 6th time using, but I know once is all it takes for bad things to happen. I read in another topic that I shouldn't "shop for recruiters"?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-10, 07:44 PM
Correct. Man up, deal with it, and move on. You are still young and it's possible the rules may change in time for you to enlist later on in life. As long as you make no further stupid decisions, you may just have to wait it out.

devin0116
07-15-10, 08:21 PM
Hey Marines, I know I am kinda bringing this topic back from the dead but I have another question regarding this. My recruiter said he is completely willing to write the necessary waivers for me. Now this doesn't necessarily meant hey will be approved, correct? They go to MEPS for approval?

Phantom Blooper
07-15-10, 08:32 PM
The recruiter writes up waivers...you provide documentation....they go to MEPS or BUMED for final approval....some need to have CMC approval.

He can write and summit it up through but there is no guarantee in todays Marine Corps that it will be approved.

But if he is willing they must think you have a good chance....however no guarantees.:evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
07-15-10, 08:38 PM
Agreed. If they are willing to write it up these days, considering few are getting approved, then you at least have a shot.

supermanlives22
07-16-10, 09:30 AM
if i were you i would wait till your done with the court stuff wait a month then try. but have you even been through a background check?

devin0116
07-16-10, 01:14 PM
I finished all my sanctions a few months ago, so I am done with the court stuff. Got a letter proving that. I have not been through a background check as far as I know.

waitinferage21
07-23-10, 03:18 AM
I joined in 09 with a possesion charge, you shoudl be alright. get a good asvab score and you should do arlright. need to get a waiver th ough.

gunnyE7
07-23-10, 05:26 AM
Sounds like you made some bad choices in your days.

afraziaaaa
07-23-10, 04:42 PM
Marine Corps Recruiting Command processes waivers based on a concept reffered to as &quot;weighting&quot;. There are red weights and green weights. <br />
<br />
One felony TECHNICALLY does not disqualify you. Sealed,...

LoveOfCountry
07-26-10, 12:03 AM
Your records are here to stay.

This is how your clearance background check works.

First, they will run everything through the computer systems, national databases, local court records, driving record, school record, etc.

Once they have that, you'll be interviewed by an investigator.

From there the DOD will hire private investigators to search out your friends. They will interview your friends, family and co-workers and then get 2 new names from each of them. They will go as deep as they need to and you never know who they will be interviewing.

You're going to get caught if you lie.

With that said. I'd probably start looking for a civilian job.

Our pool is filled through next year which gives us the ability to weed out the "scrubs."

Sgt Leprechaun
07-26-10, 12:23 AM
Only one correction to the above......the DoD doesn't hire PI's to investigate.....(If they do, please let me know about THAT program, my agency needs the work...). The people they use to do Backgrounds are contractors employed by the "Defense Investigative Service" at some ungodly hourly rate.

FattyTheFerret
07-26-10, 12:40 AM
Your records are here to stay.

This is how your clearance background check works.

First, they will run everything through the computer systems, national databases, local court records, driving record, school record, etc.

Once they have that, you'll be interviewed by an investigator.

From there the DOD will hire private investigators to search out your friends. They will interview your friends, family and co-workers and then get 2 new names from each of them. They will go as deep as they need to and you never know who they will be interviewing.

You're going to get caught if you lie.

With that said. I'd probably start looking for a civilian job.

Our pool is filled through next year which gives us the ability to weed out the "scrubs."most of that is for a TS/SCI. secret doesn't require much beyond a ncic and credit check. and as for court records, they'll check records for counties in which you lived

but PIs? lolwtf

Sgt Leprechaun
07-26-10, 12:44 AM
Yeah. They might LOOK like "PI's" but they are govt contractors making at LEAST 50 bucks an hour.

With nice pretty silver badges to 'scare the straights' LOL

LoveOfCountry
07-26-10, 01:14 AM
Yeah, mine is TC/SCI. From what I can tell they did a pretty good job. While I was in boot camp I received letters from friends in Georgia and Ohio saying that PIs had stopped by their homes to interview them.

They didn't interview my obvious relationships though, which was strange (i.e. wife, parents, siblings, employers, etc.).

Sgt Leprechaun
07-26-10, 01:16 AM
Because they are EXPECTED to say good things about you....

LoveOfCountry
07-26-10, 01:18 AM
That's what I figured except for the employers. I thought for sure they would head there.

FattyTheFerret
07-26-10, 01:25 AM
ugh, my ssbi is going to take forever and a day :facepalm: I keep reading calls for reserve lat-moves to intel but the amount of time it would take for me to get cleared turns me off on the whole idea

IVIanOnTheIVIov
07-29-10, 09:33 AM
If you wanted to join the Corps so bad, why'd you smoke pot? Guess you didn't want it enough. Just sayin.

Fail.