PDA

View Full Version : New Tattoo Policy?

Underdawg
02-23-10, 01:18 AM
What is going on!? I keep hearing a million different things about the "NEW" tattoo policy.

This poster shows whats acceptable. At the bottom there is a Marine that has part of his shoulder piece showing outside of his PT gear, it's got me really confused. Does that mean I can go and get my tattoo finished since I was already grandfathered in for the one around my wrist on the same arm?

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/Marine%20Corps%20Tattoo%20Poster.pdf

"Half-sleeve or quarter sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing standard PT Gear (T-shirt and shorts). A half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoo is defined as a very large tattoo or collection of smaller tattoos that covers, or almost covers the entire portion of an army or leg above or below the elbow or knee."

Now it says below the elbow, but is a shoulder piece that covers my whole upper arm considered a sleeve? I would think not, since you cant see it NOW in PT gear, and you wouldn't be able to see it at all in Charlies.

So far I have the outlining done, and when finished the tattoo could go a little past the PT line if I wanted it to. I WANT IT TO, lol. My question is, am I going to get in trouble if I do show up with a finished tattoo that is a little below the PT line (like the one in the poster). I have an opportunity to have the same artist who did my outlines to finish it, that's why I'm looking for clarification.

This is what the finished tattoo will look like:

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/s/sublime/album-everything-under-the-sun.jpg

Semper Fi,

Underdawg

Kp42
02-23-10, 02:20 AM
I think that poster clearly explains what you can and cannot have. If it extends below the PT shirt line you might be subject to punishment. I think a lot of it depends upon how lenient your command is. My advice: If your not sure, don't do it. Hope this helps.

BR34
02-23-10, 06:29 AM
I believe what I read in the new policy is that if the tattoo shows in PT gear it shall not be any larger than the Marine's hand with his fingers/thumb extended and joined.

Sally
02-23-10, 06:59 AM
sublime really? how original....

Silentwarrior17
02-23-10, 07:48 AM
Go through your command and talk to them. Get the approval to finish your tattoo. If you get the approval from higher and they deem it as 'OK' due to the fact that it has to be finished and not a new tattoo, you should be ok. From there they should just take new pictures and then have you sign a page 11 entry into you SRB. Don't worry about the page 11 it wont be adverse, but rather just an entry stating this is what happened and this is who signed off on it. Do not, is say again, DO NOT get the tattoo without the approval of higher. You would be suprised what they will approve of.

sully0331
02-23-10, 08:02 AM
BR34 your dead on finger tip to finger tip or fist...you can still ink your whole body just cant have them joined "sleeved" or bigger than your fist.

polizei
04-12-10, 01:42 PM
Hey guys, kind of reviving this...I've been reading some and thinking, and it's certainly not 100% clear to me either.

Now, I've been wanting a tattoo for years now, and just haven't done it for several reasons, but the more I think about it the more I want one (well, actually two but that's a different story). What I'm thinking about getting is Semper Fidelis down the backs of my arms. Now I don't want this to be viewed as "a boot with a stupid moto tat" because it's really not. My reason for wanting it is because the Marine Corps will forever be apart of my life, and I've learned great things so far and it might sound stupid but I want to die with some sort of USMC affiliation on me. Also, my grandfather was a Marine on Iwo Jima, who I never met. I want to remember him, and we have a bond being Marines. It's just something I feel I will never regret getting, as it's such a big part of my life.

So with that out of the way...of course I know I need to go through my command, but before I take everyones time away, I was hoping someone with experience over the new policy could enlighten me. From my understanding, tattoo's are ok to have on your arm, as long as they are smaller than your palm (fingers joined), in PT gear (shirt/shorts). Is this correct?

If I do the palm/finger on my arm, it covers half of my arm, and my finger tips stop about where the PT shirt would be at the lowest point. Now is there a simple answer to this question, or is this really something that just needs to go through the CoC?

BR34
04-12-10, 01:46 PM
Seems like you're understanding the regs pretty well.

Allow me to make a recommendation though. Don't get a tattoo that is visible in PT gear at all, regardless of what the tat regs says.

polizei
04-12-10, 01:49 PM
Why is that BR? Seems like a lot of Marines have them, especially on the arms/legs. The other tattoo I want is of an angel and Phoenix, which is in no-way related to the Corps. That I want on my back, so I figured the arms would be a good spot. Plus when walking wearing t-shirts people could see it. Is that bad? I don't want to "show off" but I also don't want to "hide it." I generally don't tell people I'm a Marine unless I feel a need/want to tell them. Really the only "moto" thing I wear is a jacket with a small EGA on it. Not that I'm not proud to be a Marine or anything. I just don't like "showing off" or "bragging."

BR34
04-12-10, 02:04 PM
Why is that BR? Seems like a lot of Marines have them, especially on the arms/legs. The other tattoo I want is of an angel and Phoenix, which is in no-way related to the Corps. That I want on my back, so I figured the arms would be a good spot. Plus when walking wearing t-shirts people could see it. Is that bad? I don't want to "show off" but I also don't want to "hide it." I generally don't tell people I'm a Marine unless I feel a need/want to tell them. Really the only "moto" thing I wear is a jacket with a small EGA on it. Not that I'm not proud to be a Marine or anything. I just don't like "showing off" or "bragging."

Welp, I came in the Marine Corps with a bunch of tattoos. Even had one on my neck that I had to remove to enlist. I now have one on my wrist, and one on my forearm that both need to be entered into my SRB and grandfathered in. Also, with this new policy, if I ever wanted to become a Marine Corps officer, I'd be SOL.

The reason I don't recommend getting one that is visible in PT gear areas is because you never know when or what the next tattoo regs will be. What is fine today might limit your career years from now. Just something to consider.

polizei
04-12-10, 02:12 PM
Well to be fair, I don't for see myself ever becoming an officer, nor making the Marine Corps a career. I have 3 years left of my enlistment, but anything could happen in those years. I'm not sure if I'll re-enlist or not, because I cannot judge what the future holds.

I do however appreciate the concern. I also want to become a civilian police officer and I know they are cracking down on tattoo's as well, so I also know I have to check those regs. I don't want to get something "too visible" but honestly the way things are going...I think pretty soon it's going to be changed to non-visible only. I wouldn't be surprised.

BR34
04-12-10, 02:16 PM
That's another point I had actually forgot about. A few months back I was checking with police departments around here, and I believe it was the MO state police that didn't allow anyone in if they had tattoos visible when they wear their short sleeve uniform shirt. If it weren't for that I probably would have applied to work for them. So, yes, just one more thing for you to consider. Choose wisely.

Lisa 23
04-12-10, 02:54 PM
Polizei, what about getting the Iwo Jim Memorial on your left chest with Semper Fidelis under it to honor your grandfather being that he was on Iwo Jima.

USMCM38A1
04-12-10, 04:28 PM
When we were in in the 80's it was nothing that showed when in uniform .Now it is in PT gear .Seems pretty easy, when I was in they would write you up for destroying government property.They got a little too leanient in the 90's and 2000's due to needing elistments for the Gulf War .They will be tapering off as soon as they get Afganistan over with and it will be the 80's all over again, look at somebody side ways and get written up because they will be cutting back to around 100,000 Marines again.The Corps likes to stay small and young and turnover suits this perfectly.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-12-10, 06:50 PM
That's another point I had actually forgot about. A few months back I was checking with police departments around here, and I believe it was the MO state police that didn't allow anyone in if they had tattoos visible when they wear their short sleeve uniform shirt. If it weren't for that I probably would have applied to work for them. So, yes, just one more thing for you to consider. Choose wisely.

BR, you got it. MANY organizations are now taking this policy, not just cops. But cops are the ones starting the trend. No matter what kind they are, many departments are either not hiring, or making it mandatory that the officer wear long sleeve shirt and tie year round.

Choose wisely. I wouldn't get ANYthing that contradicts with current regs, and nothing that, 10 years from now, is going to hurt your career, either as a Marine or a civilian. Meaning, unless it's something you desperately HAVE to do/have for some reason, I wouldn't.

polizei
04-12-10, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. It's something I've been thinking about for a while now, but I've wanted to be a cop since I was 12...so that's my first priority.

jits4life
05-14-10, 04:34 PM
I can't believe it I had a half sleeve and they told me no. They said OCS might be more lenient

Lisa 23
05-14-10, 04:39 PM
Jits4ilfe, you're posting in the wrong forum. Open Squad Bay is for Marines only.
If you bothered to read the rules like I suggested in your thread in the Ask A Marine forum, you would know this.

BR34
05-14-10, 07:14 PM
I can't believe it I had a half sleeve and they told me no. They said OCS might be more lenient

The new policy says you can't have more than 4 and become an officer. OCS is much more strict.

boecanales
05-20-10, 07:30 PM
i went to inlist today but they turned me away because of my sleeve!! is there anyway i could still find a way to join?

Sgt Leprechaun
05-20-10, 07:42 PM
Nope. Other than having it removed, that's it.

boecanales
05-20-10, 07:50 PM
to tell you the truth i was thinking about getting it removed. Ive just never heard of anyone getting a half sleeve removed.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-20-10, 07:52 PM
Check out doctors in your area, you should be able to locate one who'll do it. IF this is something you want bad enough, you'll do what has to be done despite everything. Keep us informed by all means.

usmc3521
05-20-10, 08:01 PM
I had 4 on my neck removed, laser treatments hurts like a MOFO!!!

I have a half sleeve on my right arm and 2 tats on my left, but got mine while I was in so im grandfathered under the new maradmin that was just released to the PSR'S a few days ago

Sgt Leprechaun
05-20-10, 08:08 PM
Can you post that, or a synopsis of it, up? If you can't, PM me with it and I'll post it.

Lisa 23
05-20-10, 08:12 PM
Boecanales, you're posting in the wrong forum. Open Squad Bay is for Marines only.<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_646794", true); </SCRIPT>

Sgt Leprechaun
05-20-10, 08:18 PM
Oops, didn't catch that. Moving it now, thanks!

CalmaSAdkisson
05-21-10, 12:42 PM
Don't have any tattoos, but I love a good tattoo artist. As a matter of fact, I have a picture in mind. Pen and Ink of a mighty steed, snorting smoke, splitting the sky wide open. A maiden on its back. Reins in hand, tight meaningful grip. Head erect, leaving but going, at the same time. Her gown is long and flowing, she feels as though she is riding in air. Can you do it?