PDA

View Full Version : Reserves Armorer Question

sbryson21
02-22-10, 07:50 PM
Hey Marines, I was wanting to get a question I have verified. I'm in the process of going through all the paperwork right now with my recruiter to join the reserves with an MOS of Armorer. Well my buddies dad (who's a former Marine) says that that's a job that normally goes to guys that have been there for a couple years or so. So I told him that I was actually going into the reserves and I was told that you are guaranteed your job if you go that route vs AD. So just looking for somebody on here that has gone through the reserves and can verify that your job is guaranteed. Thanks!

josephd
02-22-10, 08:06 PM
yes, when you get contracted to a reserve unit you also get contracted to that MOS for that unit. That doesn't necessarily mean you will be doing that job all the time once there it just means that is the MOS that you will go to school for.

sbryson21
02-22-10, 08:11 PM
Perfect, thank you for clearing that up for me.

polizei
02-23-10, 10:57 AM
Ditto what Josephd said. We have a MSgt as our armorer, and sometimes a Cpl will help him (MP), but I'm not sure what exactly you would be doing. Might want to look into that before you go to boot. I can't really see a PVT/PFC doing anything more than cleaning weapons or maybe basic work. But I could be wrong...

sbryson21
02-24-10, 06:09 PM
Ok, so after talking with my recruiter today, he clarified that my actual job title would be something along the lines of small arms repair technician or something. Sorry for the mis-post I guess I didn't really realize the difference. So is that a job that would be more likely that I would be able to do at just a Pvt. rank?

polizei
02-24-10, 07:05 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/2111.htm

Big Jim
02-24-10, 07:11 PM

Thats some good info right there.....I was an Armorer my last 4 years in the reserves in the Corps....and I was attached to an MP Battalion out of Cincinnati, Ohio. It all mostly depends on which unit you get attached to as to what kind of weapons you will be working on, ok? If you get attached to a tank unit...you'll be working on crew served weapons alot.....if you get attached to a grunt unit...alot of small arms weapons....it just depends.

But one thing you can count on is having alot of M16 rifles and M9-9mm and M1911A1 pistols for each and every Marine in that unit. If you have any questions....PM me.....

sbryson21
02-24-10, 07:31 PM

Ok thanks for the link, Marine. Much appreciated info.

sbryson21
02-24-10, 07:35 PM
Thats some good info right there.....I was an Armorer my last 4 years in the reserves in the Corps....and I was attached to an MP Battalion out of Cincinnati, Ohio. It all mostly depends on which unit you get attached to as to what kind of weapons you will be working on, ok? If you get attached to a tank unit...you'll be working on crew served weapons alot.....if you get attached to a grunt unit...alot of small arms weapons....it just depends.

But one thing you can count on is having alot of M16 rifles and M9-9mm and M1911A1 pistols for each and every Marine in that unit. If you have any questions....PM me.....

That helps a lot as well, thanks! PM inbound.

polizei
02-24-10, 08:00 PM
Big Jim, are you talking about my unit in Dayton? The only reserve unit in Cinci is Comm. Dayton is MP Co C, HQSVCBN 4th MLG. Semper Fi