PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to join?

USMChopeful1178
02-22-10, 06:32 PM
I'm in my senior year of high school getting ready to graduate and looking to become a Marine! I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to do so but I have hit several roadblocks.

My biggest concern is over past drug use. It was a stage of my life which I am not proud of and I have moved on since then and I really don't want this to affect my future. I was admitted to the hospital on one occasion due to a benadryl overdose (go ahead call me an idiot, I deserve it) and while there I also admitted to experimenting a bit with cough syrup as well as pot on a few occasions. My overdose managed to shake some sense into me and I managed to put that lifestyle behind me and pursue a lifestyle much more respectable: a United States Marine.

It's my dream to become a Marine and I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to prove myself. I have never had a drug conviction, in fact my trip to the hospital is the only recorded instance of my drug use. I'm hoping that you guys can give me a little insight here and tell me if this would be enough to permanently DQ me or if I could still get a waiver. I want to be honest with my recruiter and I'm hoping that if I am open about past drug use I will be able to get a waiver and finally put that all behind me. I don't want to let my past mistakes ruin my future, could anyone give me any insight on the matter?

josephd
02-22-10, 06:49 PM
fill out your profile!....

Yes you can get a waiver for such things but honestly with the Marine Corps being more selective on who they are allowing to enlist now I don't see it happening. What you need to do though is go talk to a recruiter. We could all give opinions and advice all day but all that matters is a recruiter.

Marine84
02-22-10, 08:33 PM
Benadryl? Really? OK...............I can't stand it any longer.........you're an idiot. LOL! I myself had a drug waiver - just be straight up and honest about it and don't do the $h!t anymore if you want to be one of us!

Lisa 23
02-22-10, 08:46 PM
fill out your profile!....
:thumbup: