PDA

View Full Version : In contrast to PFC Jessica Lynch...Miss Martha Jane Canary (Cannary)

MillRatUSMC
08-31-03, 04:53 PM
http://www.blackhills-info.com/calamity_jane/CALAMITY.jpg

Martha Jane Canary also spelled Cannary (1848-1903)
Have also found this;
Marthy Jane Canary (Cannary)

1872-1873
When on returning to the Post we were ambushed about a mile and a half from our destination. When fired upon Capt Egan was shot. I was riding in advance and on hearing the firing turned in my saddle and saw the Captain reeling in his saddle as though about to fall. I turned my horse and galloped back with all haste to his side and got there in time to catch him as he was falling. I lifted him onto my horse in front of me and succeeded in getting him safely to the Fort.

In the midst of the fighting, it is said, the woman rode into the very center of the trouble, dismounted, lifted the captain in front of her on her saddle, and dashed out. They got through untouched, but every other man in the gallant company was slaughtered.

Sould Miss Martha Jane Canary (Cannary) have been award a Medal of Honor for this action?
But there has to be two witnesses to submit a name, but what if all were slaughtered as in this action?
Times were different than now.

Martha Jane Canary (Cannary)
Marthy Jane Canary (Cannary)
By a daring feat, saved the lives of six passengers on a stage coach traveling from Deadwood to Wild Birch, in the Black hills country.
"The stage was surrounded by Indians, and the driver, was wounded by an arrow. Although the other six passengers were men, not one of them had nerve enough to take the ribbons. Seeing the situation, Martha Jane Canary mounted the driver's seat without a moment's hesitation and brought the stage safely and in good time to Wild Birch.

We come to know Miss Martha Jane Canary aka Marthy Jane Cannary as
"Calamity Jane".
She's buried next to her good friend (lover)
http://www.blackhills-info.com/calamity_jane/wildbill.jpg
"Will Bill Hickock at Deadwood, South Dakota as Matha Jane Canary Burke.

I wonder what the "Army of One" would have awarded Miss Martha (Marthy) Jane Canary (Cannary) if she was alive now?

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

thedrifter
08-31-03, 05:43 PM
Now that is One Woman who deserves a Medal........

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

cbqrr47
08-31-03, 09:53 PM
She was not Wild Bill's lover. While she had a crush on him, most historians say he detested her. She was very dirty, while by most accounts, he was a "clean freak" (for the times).

MillRatUSMC
08-31-03, 10:21 PM
History is how we see it...some historians have them having a child that was put up for adoption.
In the "Movies in Time" on the History Channel, was another view on the supposed relationship of a dirty woman and a clean freak for his times.
On her story by herself, Martha Jane Canary states that she worn the garmens of her sex till she joined the Army and was placed under the command of "Buffalo Bill".
She grew up among men, many of their habits must have worn off on her.
She rode horses and chewed tobacco and on those long rides she must have endured a great deal of discomfort.
No special privy for her sex.
I just look on her bravery under fire.
I myself think that she rated a Medal of Honor for saving Captain Egan.
So history is how we see things.
That why I placed lover between the two ( and ) marks.
Many are not in agreement on the relationship that existed or did not exist between "Wild Bill" and "Calamity Jane".
But she did capture his killer, but he escaped.
Soon there after he was recaptured, tried and covicted and hung by the neck.
Before her death, she requested that she be buried next to "Wild Bill"...wonder why?

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

zippoman
09-01-03, 05:39 AM
I hate puttin anythng on this board that was written by a Doggie, but this was Hackworths Column from this past Sunday !! <br />
<br />
By David H. Hackworth <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Pfc. Jessica Lynch recently was...

firstsgtmike
09-01-03, 08:03 AM
Quote.

"So I rang the Pentagon and asked Col. Jeff Keane, “Why the bravery bit?” Finally, when the standard Army propaganda drill wasn’t going down, Keane told me, “It was for her bravery in the hospital.”

Unquote.

Based on the above, may I suggest the issuance of a new award for valor, to take its place one step below the Bronze Star.

I would suggest it be called the Lynch Pin and be awarded to any recruit or serviceman (or servicewoman) who bravely faced the innoculation needle without flinching.

To demonstrate it's importance, I would also require it to be personally awarded by the recipient's Secretary of the Army, Navy, or air farce. Naturally, a full dress parade to render the appropriate honors to the award winner will be manditory.

Also, the reading of the Citation as a morale booster to the assembled troops will be required.

Heroism should NOT go unrewarded.

Barrio_rat
09-01-03, 09:08 AM
Doesn't the Air Force already do something similar to this? Don't they issue a ribbon for throwing a grenade? As well as a ribbon for just about everything and anything else one might be expected to do in the Marines?

zippoman
09-01-03, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Barrio_rat
Doesn't the Air Force already do something similar to this? Don't they issue a ribbon for throwing a grenade? As well as a ribbon for just about everything and anything else one might be expected to do in the Marines?

Not sure about the name of the ribbon, but they have a new one now that they issue to the Graduating Cadet at the Air Farce Academy who can pop the most cherry's !!!!:D

CPLRapoza
09-01-03, 11:07 AM
My cousin is in the Air force Reserves. She signed up almost a year and a half after I did, and picked up E-4 right after I did, which was after 2 yrs of service. and is aboput to become an E-5. Can someone explain this to me. And I wonder why they complain when we make fun of those pussies. Pardon my french.