PDA

View Full Version : Engineers/Mechanics

NC from NC
02-21-10, 01:29 PM
Hello there, i am wondering what different Engineering or Mechanic jobs i can get if i join the Marines, If anyone here can give a somewhat detailed summary of one or more. By somewhat detailed i mean like what is the pay grade, prerequisites and whatever you think i would need to know before this?

NC from NC
02-21-10, 01:41 PM
Also i really like engines but i'll be happy with anything that i can work with my hands. If that helps any...:confused:

Lisa 23
02-21-10, 06:17 PM
Being that you're only 15 years old and a father-to-be soon, are you still in high school? And yes, this does make a difference.

Phantom Blooper
02-21-10, 06:54 PM
If your a father to be at 15.....

Sounds like you already went to work with your hands and your little steam engine.....

Nobody can really give the advice you seek....

The Marine Corps is ever changing.....

Look in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine Forum and do a search for some of the questions you ask....

Being that you are going to be a father shortly I would focus on taking care of your child and significant other as a first priority.

When you are 18 years old you will be able to join the Marine Corps on your own provided that you meet the qualifications....

Read the forums and do research as you will require a waiver for your child and if you get married.... your spouse.

You must also stay in school and graduate or get a GED plus 15 college credits.

But the easiest route is graduation,from an accredited highschool.

As I said earlier the Marine Corps standards are changing rapidly daily and some of these options may not be available for you or anyone that is not on the straight and narrow without any baggage or laundry in three years.

You can also enlist at 17 with parent or guardian permission but you still will have the same problems.

My advice would be to go to.... and complete school....go to your job and support your family and in two years go speak to a recruiter and find out what options are available to you......

Love of family is a virtue....now you have that responsibility to bear on your shoulders......just for future reference.....the Marines will not even consider you if you fail to support the child or are in arrears and trying to enlist.

Hindsight is twenty twenty and love is blind.....and blood can only flow to one part of the male anatomy at certain times.....but when the mood hits you and you have more than four hours....next time wear a condom!:evilgrin:

NC from NC
02-22-10, 07:04 AM
I will always support her and even if something happens my girlfriend will be able to support herself, her family and mine are going to help while we are in high school and while she is in college. I want to work to put her through college. I have had it in my mind for a while to go into the Marines and we have talked about it. This is merely trying to see if I will be able to or if I even would like to. and yes i am in high school and i am going to take some college courses, well technically there technical school but i think that they might count as college credits. i think. well i hope that this will help with your decisions.

NC from NC
02-22-10, 06:43 PM
I researched waivers, but I'm a little confused on that part. I couldn't find anything. You said I need a waiver for my daughter and my girlfriend, if you can give me more information on that I'll be grateful. If you can't thats allright, just say you can't and that'll be it.

Lisa 23
02-22-10, 07:07 PM
You've got a lot of growing up to do, and you're only 15 years old and about to become a father.
Take this one step at a time, and right now, the most important thing to you should be the birth of your child, and if you plan on marrying the childs mother. Worry about how you are going to take care of them even before you make any decisions on joining the Marine Corps. They should come first, as you are not only making plans for your future, but theirs as well.
Best of luck to you.

Dependents
In general, DOD prohibits the enlistment of any applicant who has more than two dependents under the age of 18. While the services are allowed to waive this policy, they often will not. In fact, most of the services are even more strict in their policies.

The Navy, for example requires a waiver for any applicant with more than one dependent (including the spouse). To receive a waiver, the applicant must show that they are financially responsible (which means the Navy will check their credit report).

In the Marine Corps, a waiver is required if an applicant has any dependent under the age of 18.

The Air Force will do a financial eligibility determination (see below) if the member has any dependents at all.

The Army requires a waiver if the applicant has two or more dependents (in addition to the spouse).

The Coast Guard requires a waiver if there is more than one dependent (other than spouse), unless the applicant is enlisting in the grade of E-4 or above, when the limit is two dependents (other than spouse).

For enlistment purposes, a "dependent" is defined as:

a. A spouse, to include a common law spouse if the state recognizes such; or

b. Any natural child (legitimate or illegitimate) or child adopted by the applicant, if the child is under 18 years of age and unmarried, regardless of whether or not the applicant has custody of the child. The term natural child includes any illegitimate child when: the applicant claims the child as theirs, or the applicant's name is listed on the birth certificate as the parent, or a court order establishes paternity; or if any person makes an allegation of paternity that has not been finally adjudicated by a court; or

c. A stepchild of the applicant who resides with the applicant if the stepchild is under 18 years of age; or

d. Any parent or other person(s) who is/are, in fact, dependent on the applicant for more than one-half of their support.

In general, for enlistment purposes, an applicant is considered to be without a spouse (unmarried), if:

a. Common law marriage has not been recognized by a civil court, or state law.

b. Spouse incarcerated.

c. Spouse deceased.

d. Spouse has deserted the applicant.

e. Spouse legally separated from the applicant. (For the Army, separation by "mutual consent" is sufficient.)

f. Applicant or spouse has filed for divorce. (Note: If the divorce action is "contested," the service may deny enlistment until after the dispute is resolved in family court).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlstandards_2.htm

NC from NC
02-22-10, 07:17 PM
Thank you for your information, and yes I do have a lot of growing up to do. I've grown up a lot in the past 8-9 months and I'm not done yet. Please realize that I'm 15 and some things that I say may sound rude but I don't mean it like that. If I do decide to join, then I will ask to get a waiver for Leticia (girlfriend) and Serenity (daughter). Since there is only 2 I think that I am safe. The reason I'm looking at Marines is because since I was a kid and saw them I wanted to be one. Leticia is very supportive but I am only looking to see if it is better than working as a mechanic as a civilian. I don't think I will be able to go to college, but I wouldn't trade this for any body's life. I was thinking of going into Aviation School after I work and put Leticia through college (I offered). She wanted to be a lawyer for all her life. Sorry if this seems a bit off topic. I'm just really happy, Serenity was born at 2:17 today!

Lisa 23
02-22-10, 07:32 PM
Well congrats to you on becoming a dad and best wishes to mother and daughter!
When you turn 17, go and see a recruiter. You'll have lots of time between now and then to decide on a military future. Right now, enjoy being with your daughter and your childs mother.
If you still want to join the Marine Corps when you turn 17, then go for it...but until then, take care of your family, stay in school and get good grades, and most importantly, get that high school diploma.....and stay out of trouble!

NC from NC
02-22-10, 07:36 PM
Lol Leticia says best wishes back, shes right beside me. and I'll be sure to tell Serenity tomorrow when we see her at the hospital. 3 days may be to long. Thats kinda been the plan but I needed to see if I would have a future here. I may have to change everything around cause of Serenity. Lol Leticia says that I should go ahead and stay with it. This is bound to be a very stressful life but I wouldn't trade it. Wow today's been very exciting. And I'll be sure to stay out of trouble