PDA

View Full Version : Would I be able to join the Marine Reserves? [prior-service]

Meyer0331
02-20-10, 09:11 PM
I know, I know, ask a recruiter. Well, I want to know before Monday. The big push in Afghanistan is making me want to go back and I just read that the local unit is going to Afghanistan.

My deal:
Age 36 (I know that will be bad) I got out 6 years ago, but during that time, I spent 1.5 years in Army NG and 3.5 in Army Infantry. I just got back from Afghanistan last summer.

PT won't be a problem. I am doing research online and it seems that there is a four year limit on going back in but we all know there's a waiver for everything.

Can anyone offer any advice?

ggyoung
02-20-10, 09:18 PM
Still gota do bootcamp

polizei
02-20-10, 09:24 PM
Don't quote me, but I think you're over the age limit. And like Sgt. ggyoung said, you would have to go to boot, MCT, and MOS school (once again, I think). And I have the same last name as you...funny. :evilgrin:

Meyer0331
02-20-10, 09:24 PM
Still gota do bootcamp

I did Marine Corps boot camp in 2000. Pretty sure I wouldn't have to do it again, but might have to lose a stripe.

polizei
02-20-10, 09:25 PM
You need to fill out your profile, and tell us the whole story...and if you're a Marine, why didn't you say so in your first post?

Meyer0331
02-20-10, 09:48 PM
You need to fill out your profile, and tell us the whole story...and if you're a Marine, why didn't you say so in your first post?

Just filled it out. I assumed that with a screenname MEYER0331 it would be obvious I was an 0331 machinegunner.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-10, 11:47 PM
I had to read it twice but I figured it out.

Here's the deal, with some caveats....ALL your service time is deducted from your age. Assuming you did a 4 year tour with 'us' and a 4 or 5 year tour with the Army, your age will just require a simple waiver.

NO you do not have to do recruit training or MOS school over again (unless you get another MOS).

You'll likely lose a stripe if you were a Sergeant. If a Corporal, you'll be ok. If you made E-6 in the Army, you won't be one here.

All that having been said, prior service recruiting is a pain. If you are trying to go active, anyway. Expect a LONG wait with much paperwork. But if you are persistant it CAN happen. If you are looking at the reserves, it'll likely be easier for you if you can locate the local reserve unit, see if they need your MOS, then find out what MOS they DO need. Then go from there.

This process changes all the time so I won't bore you with my details. I would ask that you keep us updated since it's likely your information will be more current than ours, that way we can help others. (Or, of course, you could become a regular and do the same..if you have time..).

Either way, best of luck!