PDA

View Full Version : Reservists and BAH

Mxell
02-20-10, 05:57 PM
Good afternoon Marines, I graduated with plt 3207, I company on friday 12th feb, one of my DIs told us all that if we were reservists attending college full time we became eligible for BAH. Ive since got home on boot leave and cannot find any information about it online. Could someone confirm whether what i was told is true? Semper Fi

Lisa 23
02-20-10, 06:17 PM
I can't help you with your question, but you may want to get in-touch with one of the mods...jinelson or thedrifter...and have them change your status from Marine Friend to Marine.

CONGRATS on EARNING the title! :usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-10, 06:23 PM
Have you checked into your Reserve Unit yet? Those are the Marine(s) that will know for sure. Even if you aren't due to officially 'report', if you have some contact information for them might be a good idea to call and speak to the Admin Chief. They'll know 100 percent for sure.

BR34
02-20-10, 08:01 PM
There are a few criterion that must be met to receive BAH, and most of them can't be achieved by a reservist (unless on active orders).

For what its worth the Marine Corps is actually taking some pretty drastic measures to CUT COSTS because our budget is for only 202k Marines and we have more than that. The Marine Corps is allowing certain Marines to EAS 90 days early, allowing FY11 Marines (me) to reenlist in FY10, eliminating reenlistment bonuses for FY10, among other things. So I seriously doubt the big wigs are going to make decisions like what you've been told.

Don't sweat it though, my DI told us we were at war with China when I was in bootcamp.

stein07
02-20-10, 08:17 PM
If you qualify for at least 50% benefits under the Post-911 GI Bill, you will rate BAH. However, you have to deploy (or be on active duty) before you will qualify for that.

polizei
02-20-10, 09:29 PM
^ And IIRC, it has to be 180 consecutive days on active duty (6 months).

stein07
02-20-10, 10:25 PM
^ And IIRC, it has to be 180 consecutive days on active duty (6 months).

Right, and that is for 50% benefits (but full BAH).

FattyTheFerret
02-21-10, 11:46 AM
I don't know about BAH for college but there is one thing that few reservists I know are aware of. If you still paid for an apartment or other residence during your accession training (including boot camp, SOI/MCT and MOS school) and you can prove financial responsibility (genuine lease, not a letter from a friend) and you held that financial responsibility at least six months prior to the beginning of training as well as throughout the entire period of training, you rate BAH during that period even without dependents.

Took me nearly eight months to get the money but if you rate it, it's yours.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN305-08.aspx

goldgello
09-08-14, 12:18 PM
Would you be able to provide a good link for me? The link is showing a 404 error. I'm going through a very similar situation. I am a reservist going on active duty orders for a year. I am a single Marine, living with a roommate, and I have a year lease that I have been paying monthly for 7 months, and will continue to pay for the remainder of the lease. If you could provide a good link that divulges more into qualifications for reservists receiving BAH, I'd appreciate it.

josephd
09-08-14, 12:45 PM
Would you be able to provide a good link for me? The link is showing a 404 error. I'm going through a very similar situation. I am a reservist going on active duty orders for a year. I am a single Marine, living with a roommate, and I have a year lease that I have been paying monthly for 7 months, and will continue to pay for the remainder of the lease. If you could provide a good link that divulges more into qualifications for reservists receiving BAH, I'd appreciate it.

this thread is over 4 years old now, there is a reason that link doesn't work anymore.

you only rate BAH if you are on any sort of active duty orders and after that if you qualify for and use the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits