PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying for security clearance.

jwstrauc
02-19-10, 03:13 PM
Hi my name is John and I'm a wannabe.

I was interested in the linguist program but I hear you have to qualify for security clearance among other things. The problem I have is that I got a DUI last summer. I have heard that all branches of the military do not grant security clearance to someone with a criminal background not in the military already.

But I also heard you can enlist for a short-term contract mos and then re-enlist with a fresh background. Does this sound correct? Any knowledge on the subject would be great.

Thanks for your time.

(I did use the search but couldn't find a match on anything)

BR34
02-19-10, 03:55 PM
There's no such thing as a short term contract in the USMC...to my knowledge.

Supersquishy
02-19-10, 03:59 PM
Hi my name is John and I'm a wannabe.

(I did use the search but couldn't find a match on anything)

Come on you can do better than that. Try the Google funtion for starters and to be fair you can also try Bing too.:D

Rocky C
02-19-10, 04:03 PM
Come on you can do better than that. Try the Google funtion for starters and to be fair you can also try Bing too.:D

But Bing Crosby is dead :(

jwstrauc
02-19-10, 04:18 PM
I did use google as well. I actually tried contacting the Marine recruiter but all their personnel were out for the weekend, but I did talk to the Army recruiter, (though I have no intention to join the Army) and he was the one who mentioned all the information I have regurgitated here. Including the short enlistment which could be Army specific, I apologize.

The reason I have posted here is not only to find out if I even qualify but what my options are if I don't, and it is nice hearing advice from current and former Marines as opposed from just a recruiter. Thank you.

Kegler300
02-19-10, 04:27 PM
One DUI will not prevent you from obtaining a security clearance. As a linguist, you will be required to obtain a TS/SCI level clearance. If all you have is the one DUI, and no other alcohol or drug related incidents, you should have no problem obtaining the clearance. However, if you do enlist and obtain the clearance, and afterwards have an alcohol related incident, including underage drinking, you will risk losing your clearance and your linguist MOS.

Lisa 23
02-19-10, 04:43 PM
Maybe this might help you out some.......

Security Clearance Secrets
Part 1, The Basics
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security.htm

Part 2, The Approval/Disapproval Process
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security2.htm

Part 3, Finding What Information is Stored About You
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security3.htm

jwstrauc
02-23-10, 12:02 PM
So I talked to my recruiter today and he told me that I would not qualify for security clearance with one DUI. He brought up a lat move in order to qualify. Any suggestions?

Kegler300
02-23-10, 12:54 PM
So I talked to my recruiter today and he told me that I would not qualify for security clearance with one DUI. He brought up a lat move in order to qualify. Any suggestions?

Your recruiter is wrong.

Vandrel
02-23-10, 01:39 PM
Him telling you that you won't qualify is a pretty big red flag. The ONLY way to know is by sending in a SF86 with all your info and history.

Unless you are a felony criminal or a avid drug user with a lot of jail time then you should be able to get at least a SECRET level.

The key to this process is being honest

I've had quite a extensive driving history in the past and that hasn't effected me

jwstrauc
02-23-10, 04:23 PM
Yea no joke that is what he told me. In fact the Army recruiter told me the same thing and I didn't even bother asking the Air Force recruiter because he was an a**hole. but I asked the Navy Recruiter later today and he told me as long as its not a felony and preferably over a year, I should be fine.

Thanks for all the help, that's why I came here first. Hope to see you guys on the other side.

Lisa 23
02-23-10, 05:08 PM
Hope to see you guys on the other side.

Try saying Marines, not you guys.