PDA

View Full Version : Medical

CrazedAssassin
02-19-10, 12:29 AM
I am alergic to metal. Like if I have contact with a piece of metal on my chest or less sensatice skin (Aka not hands / feet) I will break out in a rash.

How could that affect my chances of joining?
I think I am growing out of it though because it has started happening less.

If it goes away by the time I enlist do I need to tell them about it? Will they ask? Will it still affect me?

I have never been in the hospitle as far as I know and I saw a phyciatrist
or something like that (The one that doesn't give out the pills.)

They didn't come to any bad deccissions or anything so will they ask me about that? Will I have to contact them? I don't even know if I can....because I saw them when I was 4 and when I was 9.

I would ask my recruiter these questions but he is in another state so it is hard to get a hold of him.

Wheels123
02-19-10, 01:41 AM
Are you allergic to spell check too?

polizei
02-19-10, 08:10 AM
Worry about the tattoo first.

Silentwarrior17
02-19-10, 08:14 AM
So you have this tattoo and you've seen a shrink? From the wording on the tat and mixing it with that, isn't really building a strong case for ya.

Phantom Blooper
02-19-10, 08:55 AM
Rifles are made of metal....

Bullets (Rounds) are made of metal...

K-Bars and bayonets are made of metal.....

Grenades are made of metal.....

Canteen cups....if still used..... are made of metal...

Dog Tags are made of metal......

Ships are made of metal.....

Tanks are made of metal.....

Amtracs are made of metal.....

Basically everything that a Marine uses on a daily basis has metal in it in some quanity......

So if you are around metal and are allergic to it.....sounds like you will be one running....humpin'....marching rash.

You will need a waiver for your tattoo...and I am not in the here in now...but in the near future..... in today's Marine Corps it doesn't sound like you will get a waiver.

As far as your psychiatry stay goes you will need a waiver for that also....just be glad for your sake and sake of the potential recruits that you are allergic to metal so you don't pick up a rifle and postal out on them.

I would venture to say with that many problems you will not be eligible for military life....however to be fair the only one that can answer these questions would be a recruiter...only if you are upfront and HONEST with them from the start.:evilgrin:

BR34
02-19-10, 09:04 AM

Basically everything that a Marine uses on a daily basis has metal in it in some quanity......

So if you are around metal and are allergic to it.....sounds like you will be one running....humpin'....marching rash.

You will need a waiver for your tattoo...and I am not in the here in now...but in the near future..... in today's Marine Corps it doesn't sound like you will get a waiver.

As far as your psychiatry stay goes you will need a waiver for that also....just be glad for your sake and sake of the potential recruits that you are allergic to metal so you don't pick up a rifle and postal out on them.

I would venture to say with that many problems you will not be eligible for military life....however to be fair the only one that can answer these questions would be a recruiter...only if you are upfront and HONEST with them from the start.:evilgrin:

Ahem, this is 2010. All of those things mentioned are now made of space age polymer. ;)

Phantom Blooper
02-19-10, 09:05 AM
And since you are part of the "Save The Vowels" movement you are doing an excellent job.....so I would be remiss if I didn't give you an "ATTABOY" for original post!

Because you are doing a fine job!

:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
02-19-10, 09:09 AM
And DO NOT LIE about anything.....they will find out. You LIE, you commit "fraudulent enlistment".

And in case you have anything else wrong with you, you can check these sites out........

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, or Induction
Main Menu
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/intmedstandards.htm

Medical Waivers
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm

FattyTheFerret
02-19-10, 09:45 AM
Were some posts deleted? I don't see any mention of a tat...

As for an allergy to metal, if it's serious enough that you are allergic to all kinds of metal (one or two types of metal is understandable, but all of them means you're allergic to a quarter of the periodic table including some elements in your body that are essential for survival) then you need to have this seen by a doctor. Not ten years ago, today. Or tomorrow. But being allergic to metal is not like having an allergy to bees or penicillin. This isn't something you can simply get away with and it won't be something you'll never encounter.

Lisa 23
02-19-10, 09:50 AM
Were some posts deleted? I don't see any mention of a tat...

As for an allergy to metal, if it's serious enough that you are allergic to all kinds of metal (one or two types of metal is understandable, but all of them means you're allergic to a quarter of the periodic table including some elements in your body that are essential for survival) then you need to have this seen by a doctor. Not ten years ago, today. Or tomorrow. But being allergic to metal is not like having an allergy to bees or penicillin. This isn't something you can simply get away with and it won't be something you'll never encounter.

Nope, no posts were deleted. That's in another thread.....'Marine Corps MOS'... in the Ask A Marine forum.

FattyTheFerret
02-19-10, 09:58 AM
Roger that.

Quinbo
02-19-10, 11:11 AM
Blooper you have a way with words.

I can't wait till some kid comes in allergic to chicken and wants to know if the pillows at boot camp are filled with feathers. Ohh my god I'm allergic to wool and sleeping under a wool blanket will give me nightmares about sheep with k-bars. Do you think in my circumstance I can have my fluffy blankey and a pacifier?

polizei
02-19-10, 11:34 AM
AHAHA no **** Bulk, that happened. A kid in my platoon was allergic to the green blankets, and requested to be able to use something else. The DI's just laughed and told him oh well. LOL it was probably the funniest thing I've seen, the kid was MISERABLE. And when we had to close all the windows and shake all the blankets on line, LOL. It was absolutely fantastic.

And to top it all off, he always complained, and had a foreign accent. 90% of the time you could understand what he was saying, lol great times. I wish I had a tape of him saying things.

Phantom Blooper
02-19-10, 12:02 PM
Blooper you have a way with words.

Thanks Sgt. Bulkyker!:beer:

ameriken
02-19-10, 02:26 PM

Tattoo needles are made of metal too so it is amazing that his allergy didnt stop him from getting a tat on his back.

I call bullsh*t on this so-called 'wannabe' who has been to a 'phyciatrist' at age 4; is 'allergic to metal' but got a tat on his back 4 years ago; has a recruiter in another state but cant get a hold of him?

Smells like a poser/troll just fvcking around in the forum.

Silentwarrior17
02-19-10, 03:36 PM
I never even heard of the 'Out of state recruiter' to this point. Wonder if it's kinda like 'I do have a girlfriend she just goes to a different school. You wouldn't know her anyway'

I'm with you on this one here ameriken...

Lisa 23
02-19-10, 03:39 PM
Tattoo needles are made of metal too so it is amazing that his allergy didnt stop him from getting a tat on his back.

I call bullsh*t on this so-called 'wannabe' who has been to a 'phyciatrist' at age 4; is 'allergic to metal' but got a tat on his back 4 years ago; has a recruiter in another state but cant get a hold of him?

Smells like a poser/troll just fvcking around in the forum.

I also agree! :thumbup:

BR34
02-19-10, 03:54 PM
has a recruiter in another state but cant get a hold of him?

Phone services don't cross state lines. :confused:

Quinbo
02-19-10, 04:16 PM
AHAHA no **** Bulk, that happened. A kid in my platoon was allergic to the green blankets, and requested to be able to use something else. The DI's just laughed and told him oh well. LOL it was probably the funniest thing I've seen, the kid was MISERABLE. And when we had to close all the windows and shake all the blankets on line, LOL. It was absolutely fantastic.

And to top it all off, he always complained, and had a foreign accent. 90% of the time you could understand what he was saying, lol great times. I wish I had a tape of him saying things.

One of the best souvenirs from ship is one of those thick gray wool blankets. They beat the natty ass green ones hands down. The trick is to take a couple and slice them right down the middle and place a half on each rack neatly folded so it looks like a whole blanket. Take an extra seabag and cram it full of the uncut ones. Squirrel em off the boat. An old sergeant once told me that the only reason Marines pull mess duty on ship is because we all get two glasses of soda at once and they need a jarhead to wash em all.

CrazedAssassin
02-19-10, 04:22 PM
As for the metal thing goes, it only affects me when I have had prolonged contact with metal. For example, if I go to the store and buy one of those cheap ass necklaces and wear it for a day or two and it is constantly touching my body then I will break out. Although, if I wear my grandpa's dog tags from Vietnam they have no affect on me. I don't know what metal I am alergic to.

As for the recruiter, I live in Owensboro, Kentucky and my Recruiter is in Evansville, Indiana. According to Marines.com, he is the closest Marine Recruiter.

FattyTheFerret
02-19-10, 04:30 PM
You should probably find out what you're allergic to before you enlist.

Go see your doctor. Have him/her refer you to an allergist.

Lisa 23
02-19-10, 04:50 PM
Wow.....look what I found when I googled Owensboro, KY Marine Corps Recruiters......

US Marine Corps Recruiting
636 Southtown Boulevard
Owensboro, KY 42303-7746
(270)683-9876

CrazedAssassin
02-19-10, 06:44 PM
That's an army recruiting office. Well Military recruiting office now...Although I was there last month and all they had there was Airforce, Army, and National Guard.

Lisa 23
02-19-10, 06:52 PM
Did you bother to ask them were the Marine Corps recruiting office was?

Rocky C
02-19-10, 06:55 PM
Do You Drink Water ???

The metals scan includes calcium, magnesium, and iron which play major roles in water chemistry. Other metals include aluminum, barium, cadmium, chromium, lead, manganese, sodium, and zinc, which tend to be present in smaller amounts. The toxicity of metals is dependent on their solubility and this in turn, depends heavily on pH and on the presence of different types of anions and other cations.

CrazedAssassin
02-19-10, 07:03 PM
Yes. I did ask them. They told me the nearest one was in Evansville too; just like the Marine Corps site.

Yes I drink water...Could I narrow down which one I have an allergy too by what I consume?

Lisa 23
02-19-10, 07:04 PM
As for the metal thing goes, it only affects me when I have had prolonged contact with metal. For example, if I go to the store and buy one of those cheap ass necklaces and wear it for a day or two and it is constantly touching my body then I will break out. Although, if I wear my grandpa's dog tags from Vietnam they have no affect on me. I don't know what metal I am alergic to.

Well, if I wore a cheap a$$ necklace, I'd brake out too. It's called the acids in our body that makes those cheap a$$ necklaces give us a rash or make our necks turn green....doesn't actually mean that you are allergic to them.

Lisa 23
02-19-10, 07:07 PM
We're not doctors from MEPS here....so if you want to know what you are allergic to, go to your family doctor and see what he/she can do for you to help you out.

CrazedAssassin
02-19-10, 07:52 PM
Well, if I wore a cheap a$$ necklace, I'd brake out too. It's called the acids in our body that makes those cheap a$$ necklaces give us a rash or make our necks turn green....doesn't actually mean that you are allergic to them.

So that's normal?! Well that is a relief! I think I will still do that allergy check just in case.

Thanks for the information about the recruiter though. I will head by there again and ask.

FattyTheFerret
02-19-10, 08:38 PM
Yes I drink water...Could I narrow down which one I have an allergy too by what I consume?
No, only a physician can do that.

Which you should make sure you get done before you think about enlisting.

SGT7477
02-19-10, 08:59 PM
Do You Drink Water ???

The metals scan includes calcium, magnesium, and iron which play major roles in water chemistry. Other metals include aluminum, barium, cadmium, chromium, lead, manganese, sodium, and zinc, which tend to be present in smaller amounts. The toxicity of metals is dependent on their solubility and this in turn, depends heavily on pH and on the presence of different types of anions and other cations.
Good one Rocky.:D

SGT7477
02-19-10, 09:00 PM
Maybe break out. Semper Fidelis.:D

Lisa 23
02-19-10, 09:19 PM
Maybe break out. Semper Fidelis.:D
After I realized I made a spelling error, I couldn't go back and correct it...the 5 minute rule had already passed. Thanks for the correction.....:thumbup:

ameriken
02-20-10, 12:06 AM
You said something about seeing a psychologist and 'they didnt make any bad decisions'. Not sure what that means because it doesnt tell us much, so I dont know if we can advise on that. If it wasnt a major issue, then it shouldnt be a big concern. As already mentioned, we're not doctors but I think any Marine will tell you to be honest and upfront with the Corps about anything in your history, let MEPS decide where to go with it, and then live with the results. Better than being found out later, which could be deemed a fraudulent enlistment.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-10, 02:08 AM
DQ's:

Allergies that have to be controlled with meds

Seeing a 'mental health' person for any length of time for any mental disorder that has been diagnosed (automatic and generally NOT waiverable)

Being on meds for above.

Tattoos (DQ, require a waiver and must not be racist, sexist, anti-American, gang related or cover a certain percentage of the body. ANY of the foregoing is an auto-DQ and NOT waiverable).

Phantom Blooper
02-20-10, 05:16 AM
ALL Marine are allergic to metal......

Bullets & Shrapnel......:evilgrin:

Rocky C
02-20-10, 06:26 AM
Yes. I did ask them. They told me the nearest one was in Evansville too; just like the Marine Corps site.

Yes, your Dr. can do a Blood Test but it's no easy process!!!

SGT7477
02-20-10, 07:06 AM
After I realized I made a spelling error, I couldn't go back and correct it...the 5 minute rule had already passed. Thanks for the correction.....:thumbup:
Just giving you a bad time.:D

Phantom Blooper
02-20-10, 07:12 AM
Yes I drink water...

Thank your lucky stars that you do.....or you will dry up.

Your too young to drink beer and liquor....

Filter your H2O.....

Or have your water tested.....

Anyone else in the home have this problem?

Coat the part of your cheap costume jewelery that touches the skin with clear finger nail polish.

Download Spell Check.....

Lisa 23
02-20-10, 08:24 AM
Just giving you a bad time.:D

Yeah, I know. ;)