PDA

View Full Version : 15 College Credits???

Wooooooooord
08-15-02, 06:31 PM
I was going to join the Navy and since they allow a certain amount of people without their high school diploma to join, I was shooting for that. I took the ASVAB and did well (56). My physical was "incomplete" because I had a knee operation about 10 years ago and had a weird scar. All I need is my medical records, it was just a vein cluster that needed to be removed or untangled I don't remember. So, at the last moment I grew some balls and decided to join the Corps. I was talking to my recruiter and he told me I need 15 college credits along with my GED. Is this true?

Sixguns
08-15-02, 06:42 PM
The Marine Corps, like all the branches can take folks with a GED. However, the percentage is very small. In fact, it's two percent of all enlistments (We enlist nearly 40,000 annually). So, you are talking 800 GED spots per year, nationwide for the USMC. Obviously, these are given out on a "best qualified" and "first come, first served" basis. You improve your chances of getting in with a GED if you have the 15 college credits. With the college credits, you are considered equal to a traditional HS graduate and not a GED. GED's get a bum rap because most people think GED'ers are quitters and it is easier to get the GED certificate than gut out four years in traditional HS to get the actual diploma. So, get the credits if you must, or ask your recruiter how many GEDs he has enlisted this year and can you speak to his commander to plead your case to be allowed in with a GED alone. Good luck.

Wooooooooord
08-15-02, 07:24 PM
Thanks a lot Sixguns, I appreciate it. Maybe within the next few months I'll FINALLY be able to enlist.
-Richie

top1371
08-17-02, 11:55 PM
Ok, I know I have been off recruiting duty since '95 but I dont think things have changed that much.

I believe your recruiter is correct. I put in a guy that had a GED and the credits (his credits were from job corps, just a tech school but it was listed as accredited in the books)- but not to steer you wrong - you dont need the GED, the college credits alone put you into a completly different catagory.

Check with your recruiter to get the real scoop.

Sixguns
08-18-02, 02:12 PM
Top,

This prospect already has a GED. That makes him a Tier II. You are right, the 15 credits would make him a Tier I. THat is exactly my point. He already has a GED. The only thing that can improve his standing is the college credits to make him a Tier I.

Congratulations on your years of service. I look forward to retirement later this year. Thanks for providing input in this forum.

SF,

greg
08-29-02, 08:15 PM
I'm a senior this year and planning on finishing and getting my diploma. I also have about 12 college credits. Does that change anything for me? What is the difference between the tiers?

Sixguns
08-30-02, 03:51 PM
Greg,

Are you getting a high school diploma? Where did the 12 college credits come from?

The Tiers represent different categories and quality standards in recruiting. Because of enlistment standards, only small percentages of applicants can come from the lower tiers (Tier II and Tier III). Almost 96% of all applicants enlist as Tier I's. This Tier represents individuals who have a four-year (traditional) high school diploma or students who have 15 college credits. The college credits are viewed to be equal to the H.S. diploma. Appliants with 15 college credits do not have to possess a H.S. diploma to enlist.

If you enlist with a high school diploma and have completed a semester of college, you could qualify for a promotion. That means instead of shipping to training as a Private, you'd be a Private First Class.

I hope that answers your question.

greg
08-31-02, 11:34 AM
I am going to finish high school first. I have taken a lot of classes at a community college too. Those credits would be extra college credits and would hopefully count as that first semester in college and lead to the promotion.

Bretticus
01-16-08, 01:40 AM
In July of 06 I had signed into the DEP program... I had exited DEP about January of 07 because I had dropped out of school and figured I could not go in with a GED. A recruiter at the port richey office called me and said if I got my GED he could get me in still and I had not gotten my GED until Octobed of 07. The recruiter in Brooksville now keeps telling me I need 15 college credits which I wouldn't mind getting but the fact I don't have the money to afford classes is the only thing keeping me back. I know the whole GED thing means your a quitter but I did it so I wouldn't have to stay in school another year to make up a credit and a half making in longer before I could go in. I want to know if there is anyways I can contact a head recruiter and see if I can get it with just my GED or else I am possibly thinking of joining the Army. Can somebody please help me?

JChebahtah
01-16-08, 02:05 AM
Wow, this post was resurrected from 2002. Read the rules, fill out your profile and you may get answers.

Dan629
01-16-08, 02:25 AM
Take it from me..

It is not easy to get in with a GED. I have been waiting for a year now, for a spot to open. Now, I am enrolled in school, to finally get my diploma and I get a call from a few recruiters in my area, telling me the Marines are finally letting in a small number of them at the end of this month. Guess that's how life works. Unfortunately for me, I still have my medical situation being reviewed by BUMED.

Get your college credits or go enroll in a local high school that offers night classes. Some high schools that do, will get you an actual diploma for completing the credits you missed while you were in school.

CathyGo
01-16-08, 03:25 AM
You may want to see if there's an "alternative" high school in your area. Lots of them offer classes at odd hours and dumb it down(pc based) so you can just speed through. You could also qualify for education assistance in your area for college since you say you can't afford it. Try contacting the admissions counselor. If you qualify but have transportation problems as a student public transportation(bus) might be free. It's free in Tempe for students. You never know what you qualify for until you start looking it all up. Filling out your profile would help.

Bretticus
01-16-08, 11:32 AM
Ok... So I am able to go back to high school and take night classes to get my highschool diploma even though I have my GED??

Dan629
01-16-08, 12:23 PM
Ok... So I am able to go back to high school and take night classes to get my highschool diploma even though I have my GED??

Correct. You have to find a school who offers the course though. Also you need to make sure it is a REAL diploma. A lot of places offer a diploma that says for example ' State of NJ Diploma ' on it. Thats no better than a GED. You need one that says a specific high school on it. ust ask the school before enrolling, if you will recieve a REAL diploma.

Dan629
01-16-08, 12:35 PM
PS: Ask your recruiter about this and he should know a high school in your area who offers it.

Bretticus
01-16-08, 02:14 PM
K thanks but I might just join the army and then later I can re inlist into the marines right?

Dan629
01-16-08, 02:23 PM
K thanks but I might just join the army and then later I can re inlist into the marines right?

Why spend four years in the Army? Sounds to me like your ultimate goal is to become a Marine. You can spend a few months in school or a few years in the Army. You do the math.

Fubar5812
01-17-08, 12:28 AM
take it from a GED graduate.

i dropped out of highschool to work 2 jobs and support my family,worked for a year,got a car...signed up for GED classes,went to classes for 3 months (tuesdays and thursdays 6-9) then i took the GED,passed all but the math portion (4 years of highschool math in 1 test..aint fun) had to re-take that portion,passed. i went to the recruiter "I want to be a Marine!" ok well you need 15 college credits to bring to tier 1,i went to MEPs they saw i had 6 college credits(from a previous semester),said "you MUST have 15 before you ship,or its a no go" i signed up for classes 4 classes each at 3 credits a class.i had to pass 3/4 of the classes,that was this semester...worked HARD,tutorting,staying after and talking to my teachers (two of which are former Marines) i now have 15 and am leaving febuary 25th for Parris Island.

all of that while working 25-30 hours a week,keep the g/f happy and paying my bills.it is COMPLETELY DO-ABLE GUYS AND GIRLS.

the program WILL work with you money-wise either through payment plan or a loan (if your attending a college)

any questions,PM me.

ZaCo
01-17-08, 03:19 PM
In some states you only need 12 credits. This is because states will differ on the amount of credits awarded to classes. Example: Minnesota awards 4 credits to a class, where North Dakota and Colorado only give 3 to the exact same class.

Sixguns
01-17-08, 11:02 PM
The Marine Corps has long had the toughest educational standards for enlistment. Each year, the Corps enlist approximately 40,000 recruits. Of this number, less than two percent are allowed to enlist with a GED as their sole educational credentials. The means roughly 800 GED applicants are enlisted annually. Now, if you take those 800 allocations and divide it by the 50 or so recruiting stations nationwide, that yeilds 16 slots for GEDs each. Each Recruiting Station (RS) has 10-12 Recruiting Substations (RSSs). This means your recruiter (at the RSS level) may only have the ability to enlist one or two GED applicants per year.

Additionally, recruiting directives state that the GED applicant must have completed the tenth grade in a traditional school before leaving to pursue a GED. Also, GED applicants must score above an Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT) score of more than 50 (AFQT 50 or above).

Fifteen college credits in academic studies listed in an accredited institutions course catalogue of 100 or above (i.e. English Composition 101) is seen as work/education equal to/greater than a traditional high school diploma.

Bottom line: You stand a better chance of getting in with the college credits. When you joined the DEP you knew a HS diploma was required to ship. Without a HS Diploma or College credits, you are basically saying, "take me as I am even though I understood I needed to meet your established education requirements." That is why the Corps is not just shipping you to training, because you failed to keep your end of the enlistment/DEP agreement. A GED also requires a waiver and this process is even more difficult for someone who was in the DEP and failed to graduate.

I hope this sheds light on your situation.

Bretticus
01-23-08, 09:58 AM
About a year and a half ago I had signed a contract while in DEP for 8 years with the Marines.... It has been over a year now and all that should be dropped.... I am trying to join the Army and wanted to know if it would cause a code red or if I can get in without any problems. Please help me out

Sixguns
01-24-08, 03:57 PM
When you failed to ship for the Marines, the command should have initiated a DEP discharge letter to notify you and the MEPS that you were not going to be shipping to training for the Corps. You can...

Dan629
01-25-08, 11:24 AM
About a year and a half ago I had signed a contract while in DEP for 8 years with the Marines.... It has been over a year now and all that should be dropped.... I am trying to join the Army and wanted to know if it would cause a code red or if I can get in without any problems. Please help me out

I'm sure if you asked your Army recruiter, he will have the answer to that right away. Just a thought.

Cariboulu151
06-11-08, 08:48 PM
If I finish school can i join even though i have a felony 4th degree arson charge?

Zulu 36
06-11-08, 09:00 PM
No profile-no answers.

Cariboulu151
06-11-08, 09:26 PM
I thought my profile was finshed. How is it not finished?

Wyoming
06-11-08, 09:26 PM
GO ARMY!!!!

LVMY0311
06-11-08, 09:28 PM
I see everyone is saying that college credits will help your chances... but I also know that they will help you in rank.

I finished high school and then did two years of college, so I have like 64 credits. And my recruiter told me that if you have at least 15 credit hours, then you will get out of boot camp a PFC. So some college has it's benefits. :)

Good Luck

Zulu 36
06-11-08, 09:34 PM
I thought my profile was finshed. How is it not finished?

It wasn't finished when I posted - I checked first. See the post by bigal for the answer to your question regarding a criminal record.

Cariboulu151
06-11-08, 09:46 PM
I was told that i could get a waiver if i finshed school. Is that true?

mikeab84
06-11-08, 09:49 PM
Right now I'm enlisting on the GED w/21 credits. I didn't need a waiver for it. A friend of mine wanted to join w/a GED and no credits, and the recruiter wouldn't even talk to him.

Cariboulu151
06-11-08, 09:57 PM
I meant a waiver for my felony.