PDA

View Full Version : question about confidence and about tattoos

mikeh7644
02-18-10, 01:23 AM
hello marines i am in college right now and feel that after i am done with college i am going to join the corps but the questions i have are about the confidence in being a marine. holding my head up high and unafraid of anything. i find myself walking around with no confidence in myself to my name. when someone walks by that is big or "intimidating" i find myself being a little afraid like i am unable to walk by them without my legs being a little shakey where it makes my walking a step off of the norm. it isnt obvious to everyone else but it is to me. so knowing that i am a marine in and especially out of uniform will i be holding my head up high like im on top of the world? not the confidence where i hold my head up just because i tell myself im a marine but the confidence that is imbedded into my brain and that i know im the ****....also with women would i be more confident in talking to them? i am not looking into joining the marines just for the confidence...it fits my personality..even if you dont think so becuase of what i just posted i want serious replies not anything stupid like marines isnt for you because youre a pussy just a yes or no and how it helped your confidence if it did. thank you

my last question is i have two tattoos already one on my forearm and one on my calf...they arent big but they arent very small..what is the policy in joining with tattoos already is it prohibited? or will they look past that?
thank you and please reply

TinDragon
02-18-10, 06:20 AM
The Marines was a big confidence booster for me. I used to be a pretty shy kid, and although I don't make it a habit to go around hitting on random chicks like I'm hot ****, I at least talk to them and everyone else like a normal person. Really helps that when you make it through boot camp, you realize most other people couldn't do it, so fvck those other guys. Haha.

For tattoos, you'll probably need a waiver for those. A waiver should be possible to get if the tattoos are not visible in either PT clothes or Service Charlies (I don't remember which one it is). If they are visible, they need to be able to be completely covered by your palm. If they can be, the hardest part will be convicing a recruiter to get you a waiver instead of just skipping you and working with someone who doesn't need one. (And of course, the tattoos need to not be racist, sexist, etc etc)

dROD20
02-18-10, 06:47 AM
after joining i become more confident in everything i do. not that im cocky about anything but i do feel like i hold my head higher than i did before i became a Marine. thats one thing that the training does for you. as far as the tattoos, all you will need is a waiver...that shouldnt be hard...good luck man!

Silentwarrior17
02-18-10, 07:58 AM
I’ll be the first to say it…Marines are cocky as hell and I’m proud to be one of those cocky azzholes. Some wont admit to being cocky and being brash. The reason Marines are cocky is because we have the right to be. Coming out of boot camp, you have completed something that very few people would ever even dream of. I’m not going to say that I am the ultimate badazz in the world because those spots have already been taken by the likes of Chesty, Manila John and Cpl Jason L. Dunham. The Corps gives you the confidence to conquer the world and everything in your path. Most people HATE how cocky we are, but that’s only because they want to be us and wish they could carry themselves in the same light. We are cocky and confident because we are good at what we do and always have been. It’s not a cockiness that is out in the open because we act it out, but more of a look all marines have. The one thing marines know with cockiness is there is still respect and dignity, and that is what truly separates us. Good luck on your endeavor.

There is no such thing a bragging. You are either lying or telling the truth. S/F

Marine84
02-18-10, 08:11 AM
Made me a cocky b!tch and it's lasted alllllllll these years.

Lisa 23
02-18-10, 08:56 AM
Well, you can try doing a search on this site for the tattoo policy, as it's been covered many times before. You may also want to read the rules in the poolee and the Ask A Marine forums as well, and when using the words Marine or Corps, they will be capitalized at all times.

SGTBrentG
02-18-10, 09:06 AM
Everyone that I know thinks I am cocky. I would rather think that I am extremely confident. Whatever you want to call it, the day you leave boot camp you will have it......forever.

polizei
02-18-10, 10:55 AM
Ditto what everyone else said. I came back with a LOAD of confidence. Just don't be the dumbass' that kill themselves after boot from DUI's or other stupid crap from their new found confidence.

mikeh7644
02-18-10, 11:57 AM
alright thanks a lot yall that did help me a lot. im just tired of being shy and i am going to look forward to it being a benefit when i join with many other benefits.

Lisa 23
02-18-10, 12:03 PM
How about saying....Thanks Marines, not thanks ya'll.

brian0351
02-18-10, 12:11 PM
Confidence comes with life experiences. Sounds like college wasn't the experience you were hoping for.

The Marines aren't a magic switch that will make you confident. Most Marines are confident from the fact they accepted and overcame a huge challenge. Then most of us went on to do amazing things in amazing places.

You want to build confidence? Go to the gym. Skydive. Talk to a random girl no matter how scared you are.

I knew plenty of Marines who joined just like you did in hopes of finding confidence. They continued there negative trends and began to fail at being Marines. Yes I gained confidence once I joined the Marines, but there has to be some sort of foundation of self worth in order for that to take place.

Best advice I can give you...and this is coming from someone who used to be really shy...stop being a B i t c h. Make a change in your life and then join the Marines as a man.

mikeh7644
02-18-10, 02:16 PM
yeah i get wat youre saying that makes sense. the thing i think is, is the way my father raised me. that i was never good enough basically i cant be equal with people i have to be the best at everything and if i cant then i just fail and everything just goes down hill from there like when i talk to girls i think too much and then i just fail and start mumbling and not know what to say at all then it feels like they are "stuck" talking to me because they dont want to be mean. i just have no self confidence. i mean ive been with 10 girls that all adored me because how i am and how i look but i just cant have that stick in my brain. some days i feel very confident but most days i feel like no one wants to have anything to do with me even if i know thats not the case and its only in my head. and ive been in couple fights that i won and some that i havent but still i feel scared when someone comes up to me. im just trying to find that confidence in myself that i know i have and maybe being a marine that will come as one of the benefits. i love sports but i also expected playing football would help me and it has but i still feel like it and i feel anti social at times i mean i am a big dude with a little asian dude brain. 6'4 260 bench 335. it might have been me sitting in my house playing world of warcraft throughout most of my high school career but enough with my sob story i am looking forward to joining the Corps even if it didnt do anything to my confidence thank you Marines <---capitalized ;)

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-10, 01:26 AM
You are in COLLEGE? Your posts are some of the most difficult, English wise, to read I've seen in some time. If you say you are an English or some other writing major the top of my head will explode. Then again, probably not. I need an Exedrin after slogging through your posts.

While your dream is admirable, officers (and enlisted as well) are expected to not only speak, but WRITE in an articulate and grammatically correct manner.

And yeah, I'm a hardazz when it comes to this stuff. But so will your NCO's, officers, and anyone else who has to read your writing, and they won't be as gentle as I am.

mikeh7644
02-20-10, 02:16 AM
You are in COLLEGE? Your posts are some of the most difficult, English wise, to read I've seen in some time. If you say you are an English or some other writing major the top of my head will explode. Then again, probably not. I need an Exedrin after slogging through your posts.

While your dream is admirable, officers (and enlisted as well) are expected to not only speak, but WRITE in an articulate and grammatically correct manner.

And yeah, I'm a hardazz when it comes to this stuff. But so will your NCO's, officers, and anyone else who has to read your writing, and they won't be as gentle as I am.

but the thing is it isnt necessary to write in good form here. so it aint not matter!<-----haha last one was for you ;)

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-10, 02:43 AM
Try again.

It IS neccessary to 'write in good form' here. Check our rules.

It also shows either laziness, sloppiness, or stupidity. All of those traits can be corrected by someone motivated to do so.

mikeh7644
02-20-10, 02:52 AM
Try again.

It IS neccessary to 'write in good form' here. Check our rules.

It also shows either laziness, sloppiness, or stupidity. All of those traits can be corrected by someone motivated to do so.

alright im sorry. im not trying to cause any irritation. ill keep that in mind when i post something up

Lisa 23
02-20-10, 08:35 AM
Along with what Sgt Leprechaun told you, how about using capital letters at beginning of sentences and punctuation marks, too. It's very annoying when people don't use punctuation marks. :evilgrin:

Rule Eight when you post make sure that it looks like you are submitting it to your english teacher for their determination whether you pass or fail!
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15

8. Posts in the forums are expected to be written in English as it is the default language of our community. Posts should be clear, understandable, correct in grammer where possible and should avoid using too many appreviations and chat language slang.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/view_info_forumrules.htm

Socal2361
02-20-10, 08:52 AM

Try not to be so harsh on the guy he's still a nasty civilian, haha. When he earns the EGA then the gloves are off.

Socal2361
02-20-10, 09:03 AM
alright im sorry. im not trying to cause any irritation. ill keep that in mind when i post something up

If you are planning on earning the title, you will have to get used to this form of constructive criticism, only it will be more stern and in your face than you see in these posts. To answer your question it is impossible to not gain confidence in yourself after earning the title. All Marines I have known past and present, has had an extreme confidence boost. The confidence also grows the longer you stay in the Marine Corps with the more rank and responsibility that you are given. As far as the tattoo policy you can talk to a recruiter, or go to usmc.mil, or it might be marines.mil now I can't remember which. Do a search for the tattoo policy and it will give you all the info you will need.