PDA

View Full Version : Extra Pay on Afghanistan Deployment

RaiderMortars9
02-17-10, 07:33 PM
Hows it goin everyone? well i deploy to afghanistan here pretty quick and i was just curious as to the extra pay i will get over there, i can never get a straight answer from Iraqi vets because apparently alot of them spent alot of money over there on their last dpeloyment (ex px, spades etc...) so i was wondering if i could get a answer. I am a single corporal.....no bah, no dependants, nothing, so will i get per diem, and imiment danger pay or what how does this work. thanks

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-10, 12:51 AM
No per diem. Iminent danger, yes. Tax free, yes.

HOWARDROARK3043
02-20-10, 07:03 AM
your a cpl. and you are asking boot questions??? then go ask a lcpl. if you dont know

Marine84
02-20-10, 07:59 AM
your a cpl. and you are asking boot questions??? then go ask a lcpl. if you dont know

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quinbo
02-20-10, 08:43 AM
Interesting article in the stars and stripes this week. If you spend one day in Iraq afghanistan, or kosovo you rate hazordous duty pay or immenant danger pay as well as your income; tax free for the whole month. If you arrive down range on Feb 28 and leave on Mar 1st you would be tax free and combat pay for both months. That would be 4 pay checks. VHA BAQ com-rats and all that jaz is non taxable income anyway. If you are single and they are feeding and housing you then you don't rate that stuff anyway.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-10, 06:45 PM
Yup. Always been that way. Don't forget 'combat leave' as well, the days you earn 'in the zone' or while you get the pay, are ALSO tax free.

boyletp
02-20-10, 07:37 PM

correction, go ask you Sr. Lance Corporal :cool:

Quinbo
02-20-10, 08:05 PM
Bona Fide questions boylet. Recieved valid answers too. You have been kicking around long enough to know that walking into S-1 and asking the PFC at the front desk, that just got there yesterday, might possibly not gain you the information you are seeking.

Rather than hazing him why don't you go ahead and provide all readers with your wealth of information on the subject!

boyletp
02-20-10, 08:37 PM
The best way to find out your pay is to push the question up your chain of command. But, other than that, I know as a LCpl, i came out of Iraq with 18,000 in pocket, and i was there for 7 months. You will make a lot of money, i also reccomend researching taking out a loan and paying it back over the corse of the deployment to build credit, or go to your bank and take out a CD or two. This will give you a small return in i believe depending on the plan usuall 5 years, and try to get an intrest rate on it that COMPOUNDS annually, or bi-annually.

BR34
02-20-10, 08:46 PM
Hows it goin everyone? well i deploy to afghanistan here pretty quick and i was just curious as to the extra pay i will get over there, i can never get a straight answer from Iraqi vets because apparently alot of them spent alot of money over there on their last dpeloyment (ex px, spades etc...) so i was wondering if i could get a answer. I am a single corporal.....no bah, no dependants, nothing, so will i get per diem, and imiment danger pay or what how does this work. thanks

In addition to what has already been mentioned you will also receive hardship duty pay.

BR34
02-20-10, 08:49 PM
Here's something that should help out those interested.

http://www.military4life.com/militarypay/

HOWARDROARK3043
02-20-10, 08:58 PM
the pay is not that much more,,,, you go on deployment thinking you are going to get fat checks but a couple extra hundred a month is not really that much,,,, if you are married and have kids then you get bigger checks,,,,,

on deployment you are SAVING money because you have no need to buy anything,,,----its funny to see Marines carrying PX bags in the desert and they bought soda that you get for free at the chow hall----that is why you have cargo pockets,,,,to fill them up at the chow hall

sorry for hurting thr Marines feelings,,,i forgot you have to be nice all the time now...

Komenko
02-20-10, 10:57 PM
the pay is not that much more,,,, you go on deployment thinking you are going to get fat checks but a couple extra hundred a month is not really that much,,,, if you are married and have kids then you get bigger checks,,,,,

on deployment you are SAVING money because you have no need to buy anything,,,----its funny to see Marines carrying PX bags in the desert and they bought soda that you get for free at the chow hall----that is why you have cargo pockets,,,,to fill them up at the chow hall

sorry for hurting thr Marines feelings,,,i forgot you have to be nice all the time now...

ROFL when i was in Al Asad in 2006 you couldn't take anything from the chow hall! damn foreign gaurds stopped everyone who was walking out with loaded cargo pockets!

HOWARDROARK3043
02-20-10, 11:10 PM
In afghanistan,, at first it was a free for all ,,,,you could tell the Marines that were there a while because of the size of their cargo pockets,,, after a while they put up signs saying 2 sodas per person,,, that didnt stop people,,,,,i once walked out with a CASE of chips---i told the chow hall workers that my Marines were working and could not come to the chow hall, they said ok................its the wild west on deployment,,,,it makes up for the few extra dollars you make

i wont mention that Marines go through other units trash looking for "good" pieces of wood,...----------------

haebyungdae
02-21-10, 02:52 AM
Another option is the Savings Deposit Program (http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/woundedwarriorpay/savingsdepositprogramsdp.html) through MyPay. Haven't done it but heard good things from multiple people that did take advantage.

Lupo22
02-21-10, 05:03 PM
So if my wife decides to go back home to Florida while I'm deployed, will she collect BAH for Florida? I had heard somewhere that she would be able to do so

Sgt Leprechaun
02-21-10, 06:30 PM
Correct, for the most part.

BR34
02-21-10, 06:33 PM
Lupo, if your wife is on your orders to wherever you are (Jacksonville?) then that is where she rates her BAH. If she isn't on your orders (like what probably happened with you in boot camp and SOI) then the BAH will be from the zip code of your home of record.

benw2200
02-22-10, 08:39 AM
ROFL when i was in Al Asad in 2006 you couldn't take anything from the chow hall! damn foreign gaurds stopped everyone who was walking out with loaded cargo pockets!

lmao! Did they have those "Rip It" sodas when you were there? Those things were the poor man's Red Bull haha. Me and my buddies would wear a fleece underneath our blouses and load our cargo pockets and the fleece pockets. we would go to midrats and come out with enough food to last us days..

ZSKI
02-22-10, 11:59 AM
You will make your base pay hazardous duty pay and combat pay, also you actually do get a small per diem at least i did equated to like 12 dollars a day. As for the tax free month if you served one day well thats a changing its gonna be pro rated sometime soon. Not sure the exact date but the order came out

Komenko
03-06-10, 08:33 PM
lmao! Did they have those "Rip It" sodas when you were there? Those things were the poor man's Red Bull haha. Me and my buddies would wear a fleece underneath our blouses and load our cargo pockets and the fleece pockets. we would go to midrats and come out with enough food to last us days..

yes they did! the red rip it tasted like crap but the Orange was pretty good!