PDA

View Full Version : USMC Reserve Questions

meep
02-17-10, 02:20 AM
Hello Marines, my background is that I am a 25 y/o male with a college degree and I work in law enforcement. I am interested in the USMC Reserves. I have yet to contact a recruiter because I know how much of a pain in the ass it can be with them.

I just have some general questions that maybe some of you can help me answer.

1.) How do you promote in the reserves? Question being is that since I have a degree and enlist, I was told that I would come out of basic as an E-3. What would the time line be to promote to E-4 and above? I know the reserves is quirky as compared to active duty.

2.) The reason I am considering the reserves is because I want to deploy and serve my country. I am not where I want to be in my LE career yet and being a veteran would help me out alot as well. However, I am choosing the reserves instead of OCS because I want to deploy now while the war is still going on and I dont want to go through the motions only to have Afghanistan come to a halt before I can deploy. With the way the current President is talking about the war on terror it seems he is more then willing to pull out in a years time.

3.) There are several reserve units in my area (new england) that have weapons platoons. My goal would be to become an 0311 and delploy either with them or with an A/D unit.

What are your thoughts? Thank you.

josephd
02-17-10, 03:51 AM
1.) you will not graduate as an E-3 unless you are the company honor man which takes more than your degree to achieve. Promotions in the reserves are the same as active duty but a bit harder to pick up because as a reservist you are not always as squared away as you should be. But if its anything like our company, a lot of meritorious promotions will be done.

2.) With the time line that our CIC has set, you better be shipping out to bootcamp soon or you are going to miss your chance at the 'Ghan....we will always be in conflicts somewhere in the world so your opportunity to deploy will come. But again if you aren't even set to ship to boot yet even I don't think Afghanistan would happen for you with the time line Obama has set for pulling out

3.)...???....

My thoughts....

If you have your degree already go talk to an OSO and get an OCS package started. Forget about LE for a bit and do your time as an officer. Being an officer in the military especially the Marine Corps can open up so many doors for you to work with federal LE and with the government.

SaloSV
02-17-10, 08:34 AM
Of course, I would have never thought of this when I was in your shoes, but you might actually try and get in touch with the CO of one of those reserve units. Assuming they are 03xx MOS (Infantry). Most of the time, the CO are very reasonable (most of the time), and he may give you an indication of unit readiness for deployment. That may help you make your decision.

But if you enlist, and you go 03 (Infantry), you'll be in training for six months from the beginning of bootcamp to the end of SOI. If you go the officer route, you'll be in training for a much longer time. OCS is shorter (10 weeks for you), but TBS is months. If you get attached to a line company, then you have to do an Officer's infantry school (I think, never made it that far).

crazymjb
02-17-10, 03:28 PM
I have a buddy considering something similar to what you are, although taking some time off from college. New Englands own is also known as 1st Battalion 25th Marines, and we and our fathers before us have an impressive record and have showcased professionalism. If you want to go to Afghanastan with us, your going to need to be in boot by mid summer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Battalion_25th_Marines

As far as promotion goes, it's competitive and a helluva lot slower than active duty. Your degree doesn't mean nothing, but the majority of at least my company, I'd say at least 90% is attending college or has graduated with a professional degree. I went to boot camp June of 08, I have friends I went with who are Cpls in the Fleet as infantry after only a year since checking in to their units. On the other hand, even those who are the most squared away can expect to wait 2-3 years at least in our unit. YMMV

Mike