PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Enlistment

PLombardi1
02-16-10, 09:46 PM
I'm around two years off from needing to actually make a call, but its nice to be able to set things up ahead of time. I know I want to join the Marine Corps, but I'm not quite sure which way I...

Komenko
02-16-10, 10:08 PM
umm yeah you need to fill you profile out first bud, also this post should be in &quot;Ask a Marine&quot;! <br />
<br />
1. they are everywhere lol Officers get put in any job the enlisted have but under a different MOS...

Sgt Leprechaun
02-17-10, 04:08 AM
No profile no further answers. Mods please place in 'Ask a Marine'.

PLombardi1
02-17-10, 12:10 PM
I apologize for not updating my profile sooner. I have input all of the information within the profile except for collegic information, due to the fact that I'm not in college just yet. Thanks for the responses so far, if anyone has any further answer for me I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks so much for all of your help,

Pat

TinDragon
02-17-10, 12:37 PM
All the officers I know of sit behind a desk. However, those are non-grunt officers. I'm not sure how grunt officers roll.

If you're going active, you'll have no problems with funds for college. Do a Google search on the "Post 9/11 GI Bill" for more specific info, but basically they pay for your college seperate from your normal pay. There's also programs like the MECEP that will send you to college as your duty station, so they will pay for the college directly and will pay you just like you were stationed at a base.

I have only seen one person that went to college for four years and then went the enlisted route. He had a lack of common sense, in more ways than one. If you've already got the degree, you might as well try to go officer first. Otherwise, just go enlisted first, then use all the programs the MC offers to get college for free or incredibly cheap.

Trust me, enlisting is not a dead end job. If NOTHING ELSE, you have a higher chance of being hired simply because you were a Marine, and people know that Marines live to a high standard, so they won't have to worry about your work ethic or anything like that (in theory). A lot of stuff translates into great jobs though. A friend of mine who just got out was hired by the NSA within two months (one month? It was somewhere in there).

I believe that should answer all the questions you asked. As a side note, I trust more of the officers I have seen that went enlisted first than the ones who went right to officer. That's not to say that the ones who went right to officer are bad leaders, or that Mustangs are great ones, I just have noticed that the Mustangs seem to be able to relate to the enlisted a little better (in most cases).