PDA

View Full Version : ?Basic and Christmas?

SP00N
02-16-10, 01:04 PM
Hey, Marines just curious about what happens when your in Boot Camp and Christmas hits? Since there not sending any more pooles untill October, this will probraly effect me and some people.

polizei
02-16-10, 02:42 PM
What do you mean? Nothing "happens."

gonzo4
02-16-10, 02:55 PM
Depends on your Senior Drill Instructor. My Christmas was great and it will be very memorable since I was at boot camp. OUr Squadbay caught fire, good times. We watched a couple movies and drilled so we would be prepared for final drill. We still didn't call home or anything, but I heard a male Plt did. We got snacks from home and the four hour holiday freetime. The Christmas dinner was really good. Being away from home is hard but you have to remember there are thousands of other recruits going through the same thing you are all in it together.

SP00N
02-16-10, 03:43 PM
Oh, well thats cool. I didnt know that. I asked Polizei because I guess the other branches during basic, go home for a week during Christmas.

Well thats cool tho, I would just want to get it over with anyway, and plus you dont need to buy Christmas presents.

How did your squad bay catch fire?! Was it like in Jarhead, roasting sausage. LoL

gonzo4
02-16-10, 05:14 PM
A heating duct fan blew out and was smoking like crazy so like 15 min before lights was called rifle watch had to wake everyone up and we all got dressed in our sweats and had to go outside for like an hour. The fire trucks were our Christmas lights. It was really really cold and thankfully our Drill Instructor let us get heel to and huddle like penguins. Even if she hadn't we would have anyway lol.

Old Marine
02-16-10, 08:02 PM
Hey, Marines just curious about what happens when your in Boot Camp and Christmas hits? Since there not sending any more pooles untill October, this will probraly effect me and some people.

Santa does not stop at Marine Corps Boot Camp.

The Marine Corps does not have Basic. Its called Boot Camp and is the only real Boot Camp of all the military services.

02-16-10, 08:57 PM
Watch the first part of, "Full Metal Jacket."

Sgt Leprechaun
02-17-10, 12:55 AM
You will NOT 'go home'.

You'll celebrate Christmas in the Marine Corps way. It will be memorable in it's own way. Get used to being away from home and celebrating Christmas when you get 'home'.

It's a legit question. Just remember, those Drill Instructors and other support Marines also have to be 'away from home' (i.e. their families) to be there WITH YOU RECRUITS on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. So you aren't the only one.

Underdawg
02-17-10, 03:09 AM
Gonzo and I were in the same platoon, I'm sure we can agree it was a pretty cool xmas. Other than the stuff she mentioned, it was pretty much just another day or Drill Instructors and motivating training.

Underdawg
02-17-10, 03:15 AM
Actually, I was in boot for Halloween, thanksgiving, xmas, new years and the MC birthday...you sign up knowing you're going to sacrifice this time. Its going to be like that for at least the next 4 years of your life.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-17-10, 04:02 AM
Congrats you two new MARINES! I see you just graduated. Welcome to the 'club'!

boyletp
02-17-10, 04:18 AM
Santa does not stop at Marine Corps Boot Camp.

The Marine Corps does not have Basic. Its called Boot Camp and is the only real Boot Camp of all the military services.

Hillarious. but true. if you are serious about the Marine Corps, then you will realize that everything happens based on the needs of the Marine Corps. its not all bad...at all. and another thing, if you have such a problem with it, go to boot camp in mid January...cant go wrong.

TinDragon
02-17-10, 06:40 AM
Hillarious. but true. if you are serious about the Marine Corps, then you will realize that everything happens based on the needs of the Marine Corps. its not all bad...at all. and another thing, if you have such a problem with it, go to boot camp in mid January...cant go wrong.
Sure you can. January is freezing. Haha.

I left about a week after July 4th for boot, so I didn't hit anything of significance in boot and had the MC birthday celebration in MCT.

polizei
02-17-10, 07:31 AM
I think the best time to go is when I went! February through May. Semper Fi.

SGT7477
02-17-10, 08:03 AM
Christmas, let the games begin.:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

MarshRunner
02-17-10, 08:18 AM
Christmas ... lets see ... the Marine Corps gave us a present ... everybody got a "jawbreaker" and exactly 2 heartbeats to finish them.

SF

SP00N
02-17-10, 12:19 PM
Sounds like fun, Oh I understand the hard ships, my old man was a Colonel, I also went to military school, jrotc, moutaineer cadet officer leadership school(MCOLS). Its definetly a lifestyle im familiar with.

Also I see alot of ex-marines who only did four years, I was just curious of why not any longer? My parents are already talking to me about the benefits of doing 20 years.

TinDragon
02-17-10, 12:54 PM
Tut tut, there are no ex-Marines, only former Marines. (With a couple exceptions.) Four years is the minimum contract, and they probably didn't like the military enough to want to reenlist. It takes a very specific type of person to be able to last the 20+.

polizei
02-17-10, 02:19 PM
I'm out after my contract is up, four years is enough for me. I never had the intention to make it a career, and I want to pursue a civilian career. Different reasons for different people...and even though you have some experience, you truly don't know military life until you actually live it.

Zulu 36
02-17-10, 03:34 PM
I went six-years active duty. There were a number of reasons I didn't stay for longer, one of which was I felt I could be more successful in a civilian job than I was in the Corps, plus make more money. I was right on both counts.

I did stay in the military though. I felt that six-years of my life was too much of an investment to totally abandon. A year in the Marine Corps Reserves and 14 in the Air National Guard, for a total of 21-years and two wars.

SP00N
02-17-10, 03:51 PM
I hear of alot Marines switching services, and doing very well.