PDA

View Full Version : Any Marines holding the Title of a Marine Working Dog Handler?

Jeo5
02-15-10, 06:39 PM
Hello,
I remember when i was smaller, our family decided to get a German Shepard.
They were quite smart, quick, had great agility, and were fearless.
My love for dogs has grown over the years.
I've wanted to be a Vet for a few years now, but due to moving, my HS grades have suffered. UC Davis is the only University that I'd like to go to study animals.
My GPA has lowered from a 3.8 with all honors classes, to a 2.3 with only AP English & AP World history along with the other A-G Requirements.
I've always been interested in the military though, Specifically The Marine Corps.
I'd Really like to join once i get my diploma, and be a Marine Working Dog Handler.
I'm good with animals, I know how to care for them, And I'll take a bullet for them any day.
Any suggestions on PT?
How to Become a Working Dog Handler?
Please, help me reach my Dream of being able to work with what I love.

Phantom Blooper
02-15-10, 06:48 PM
Look up a Marine in membership by the name of FUBAR5812 he is an active duty dog handler.

PM him he should be able to answer questions.

:evilgrin:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=44153

Rocky C
02-15-10, 06:48 PM
Here is a Great Thread on Dog Handlers!!!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71950&highlight=handlers

Jeo5
02-15-10, 06:50 PM
Thank you, Marines.

Rocky C
02-15-10, 06:51 PM
Thank you, Marines.

:usmc::thumbup::usmc:

polizei
02-16-10, 02:39 PM
I think you might have a misunderstanding of what that field entails. Have you done research yet? I don't want you to select the wrong MOS, because you could be miserable...

Just know that a K9 handler is an MP, and you may travel a lot. You have to be an MP first, so if you don't like it, or don't want to be a garrison MP, this MOS isn't for you. You can either get selected at MP school, or out in the fleet, but there has to be school seats open.

I just don't want you thinking that you'll be a vet or something like you wanted to be. Just research everything before making a decision. :thumbup:

Not to mention, according to various sources, the Marine Corps is getting rid of garrison MP's, so I'm not sure if K9 will switch to field or not. I assume so, but if that happens, realize what that entails as well.