PDA

View Full Version : Combat Engineering

Bama Boi
02-15-10, 12:13 AM
I would like to know from all you combat engineering Marines what's the daily life of a combat engineer when in the fleet. Is there a lot of training and spending a lot of time in the field? If there is any other information you'll like to give me about this MOS will be greatly appreciated. :)

I did a search for this and couldn't find too much information about it. If there is information on this site and I didn't find it, then I apologize.

Thanks

Komenko
02-15-10, 12:42 AM
I would like to know from all you combat engineering Marines what's the daily life of a combat engineer when in the fleet. Is there a lot of training and spending a lot of time in the field? If there is any other information you'll like to give me about this MOS will be greatly appreciated. :)

I did a search for this and couldn't find too much information about it. If there is information on this site and I didn't find it, then I apologize.

Thanks

I am your source of information young man. If your picking this as an MOS you will most certainly have some fun with it. you know with the 0311s saying how great they are, well they wouldn't know how to cross a mine field if it wasn't for Engineers. Some would say we're super grunts lol. there is lot of training, Demo ranges, weapons training, building breaching! but there are also lots of classes and goiong over the same stuff over and over again, but thats only to better yourself when in combat. I've know a few Marines who went to Iraq and did the Medal of Honor run. you'll hear about that while in school most likely. I even have a few friends at the school house right now who are instructors. you'll learn everything from basic constuction, survivablility, and Demolition (which is the fun and dangerous part). if you have specific questions i can answer them. I've been in Division, Logistics, and base battalions. Never got to a squadron though so i don't know too much about air wingers.

Bama Boi
02-15-10, 12:45 AM
That sounds interesting. What about when not deployed, is there constant training?

Komenko
02-15-10, 12:50 AM
That sounds interesting. What about when not deployed, is there constant training?

sort of. squadleaders usually have classes made out and they have the fire team leaders help out during the day. when I was a squadleader I always had something planned if there wasn't anything on the daily planner for the platoon. it also depends on where you go. also there is a lot of tool maintenance and vehicle PMs. Also we did patrols of all sorts just to be avid with the grunts so when my Marines got attached to them that they wouldn't be lost in the sauce.

Bama Boi
02-15-10, 12:58 AM
Sorry for all the questions but I also heard this MOS was more dangerous compared to the other MOS's besides infantry.

Komenko
02-15-10, 01:09 AM
It is. your playing with explosives most of the time if your in division, and constuction if your with logistics. During the Battle of Fallujah Engineers were riping mud flaps off the back of 7-ton...

Bama Boi
02-15-10, 01:17 AM
Are the chances of taking a shot to a blasting cap high or is that somewhat like a freak accident?

Komenko
02-15-10, 01:20 AM
Are the chances of taking a shot to a blasting cap high or is that somewhat like a freak accident?

depends on where you store them on you. all it takes is 5 lbs. of pressure to set one off. so a bullet would be a freak accident but getting fragged by a gernade is no joke.

Bama Boi
02-15-10, 01:24 AM
Oh ok. Makes sense. So do combat engineers actually suffer a lot of casualties?

Komenko
02-15-10, 01:28 AM
Oh ok. Makes sense. So do combat engineers actually suffer a lot of casualties?

not as much as the grunts cause of how a team stacks on a door. usually Engineers are to breach a door and provide security at the door while the team sweeps the building. but sometimes they do ask to be stacked up front. but there is also the IED part of the job. usually its up to EOD to disarm them but Engineers are able to do the job also if there isn't any time to wait on EOD.

Bama Boi
02-15-10, 12:52 PM
This seems like a job I would like to do and seems like it's pretty rewarding. I saw the new ABV for the Marine Corps and that thing is a monster lol. That's what got me interested in Combat Engineering.

Komenko
02-15-10, 01:00 PM
This seems like a job I would like to do and seems like it's pretty rewarding. I saw the new ABV for the Marine Corps and that thing is a monster lol. That's what got me interested in Combat Engineering.

lol that thing is a monster! its dual purpose and will get the job done quicker. I've seen other prototypes configured almost the same way and when this was completed and in testing i wished that it was in service before i left the Corps.

Bama Boi
02-15-10, 01:04 PM
lol! At first I thought it was fake until I did more research on it. I'm glad that beast is on our side. Seeing that thing coming is enough to make an enemy stop dead in their tracks or enough to make them hesitate lol.