PDA

View Full Version : paying bills while at bootcamp?

ClarkGableJR
02-13-10, 05:48 PM
I have a car payment that is co-signed by another person which, according to my lender, toyota financial, won't be eligible to be deffered under the sailor/soldier bill.

q1: Is toyota telling me the truth? I did get that answer from someone on the phone who probally isn't a manager who can make executive decisions.

q2: Is there anyway i can just use the money i make at boot to make off payments because saving the money(or borrowing) to make 3 car payments is a little difficult for me right now.

CRR21
02-13-10, 07:29 PM
I also have a car loan through Toyota financial but without a cosigner. I think your paychecks are deposited directly into your bank account. I'm planning on setting up my 3 payments beforehand through my online bill pay (wachovia). I'm not sure but it may not be eligible for deferment because of your cosigner. I haven't spoken to them yet as I don't ship until September and haven't really started to sort out my finances.

Marine Shu
02-13-10, 08:49 PM
While you are in boot camp, your paychecks are deposited into a newly created FSNB account (if you are at PI) or Pacific Marine (for SD, I'm pretty sure). Towards the end, you can have your direct deposit changed to your own bank, but you wont have access to your funds while in boot camp. Can your cosigner make the payments and you pay them back afterwards? Otherwise I think the only thing you can do is request to speak to your Senior Drill Instructor and explain your situation. It's not a guarantee, but he may let you call in payments once a month. But just remember that you will probably catch some flak from him and your other hats for it, so expect a little special attention. I'm pretty sure that if you are the primary party on a loan, then the SSRA should apply. Maybe try to speak to a manager.

SlingerDun
02-13-10, 10:12 PM
q1: Is toyota telling me the truth?Of course nothttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif
but probably close to accurate concerning a co-signed loan. Toyota got both tit's caught in a ringer right about now and "frankly Scarlett, They don't give a damn about your military deferral. They need money. I would sell the Toyota unless your co-signer can't do without, because you won't "need" a pov while at boot camp, mct, mos school, Mojave Viper, deployed etc.. see what i'm saying?

--->Dave

gonzo4
02-16-10, 03:02 PM
Since your going to PI you will get FSNB, horrible bank. YOu can talk to your Senior about sending money home and having them take care of your bills. A lot of recruits request to go to the bank to send money home and it really is no big deal. We usually went on a day when nothing was really going on like during swim week or when it was time to make PX calls. The Drill Instructors get annoyed at taxiing recruits around but you do have other responsibilities.

ClarkGableJR
02-16-10, 04:33 PM
I'm actually foing to mcrd, does that make a difference @ all?

ClarkGableJR
02-16-10, 05:03 PM
Going* to mcrd

gonzo4
02-16-10, 05:11 PM
No it shouldn't make a difference. Just as long as your Senior knows well before hand that you and other recruits need to make bank calls you will be ok.

FattyTheFerret
02-16-10, 08:04 PM
Requests to send money home were pretty common among recruits in my platoon. I filled out many a form for married recruits, recruits with kids, etc. I even had to send in a payment or two.

I'm pretty sure you can't get a deferred payment unless you're actually deployed but don't quote me on that. Either way, if you need to send money home your Senior will most likely let you unless you've been a ****bag. It's not a right in any way, don't forget that. Wait 'til a Sunday or one of the times when he says anyone that needs to talk to him about anything can pound on the hatch. Just make sure you're squared away on everything else before you do.

Either way, Toyota Financial isn't going to make a big deal about it. If something happens and you can't make the payment, talk to them once you've graduated, explain the situation and ask to have the credit report adjusted once you make the payment. I did that exact thing. Just because they've reported you late to the credit bureaus doesn't mean they can't have the data adjusted.

My point is: your car payments will be pretty low on the list of things to worry about.

brian0351
02-17-10, 12:11 AM
The Soldiers and Sailors relief act is only for those who are drilling reservists and are activated.