PDA

View Full Version : Marines not taking HS Grads?

Phoenix27
02-11-10, 07:38 PM
My recruiter told me I wouldn't be able to do my DEP contract because the Corps. isn't taking Highschool grads this month?

Is this true? I mean... it's a bit surprising to me because he told me they're after females and high school seniors right now.

I'm a bit worried I won't be able to sign my contract and get the job I'm looking for if this is the case.

Thanks Marines.

Marine Shu
02-12-10, 12:35 PM
The Marine Corps has reached it's goal of 202,000 Marines. Instead of trying to fill a lot of quotas for the expansion, recruiting efforts are now focused on replacing Marines who are at the end of their contracts, and who choose not to reenlist. Because of this, we can be a lot more selective, and very well may be turning away applicant's who have a minimum of a HS degree. I am not familiar with the current recruitment plan, however they may be looking for at least a few college credits. Your best bet is to maintain contact with a recruiter, as things may change. I would check at the begining of the month (middle to end of 1st week) to see if they will take you. If not, come back at the end of the month (about a week before the last day of the month). They may need 1 more person, and be willing to take you then. The biggest thing is to not give up. Show persistance and if they say you need college credits, take some classes at a local community college or online.

Phoenix27
02-12-10, 03:24 PM
The Marine Corps has reached it's goal of 202,000 Marines. Instead of trying to fill a lot of quotas for the expansion, recruiting efforts are now focused on replacing Marines who are at the end of their contracts, and who choose not to reenlist. Because of this, we can be a lot more selective, and very well may be turning away applicant's who have a minimum of a HS degree. I am not familiar with the current recruitment plan, however they may be looking for at least a few college credits. Your best bet is to maintain contact with a recruiter, as things may change. I would check at the begining of the month (middle to end of 1st week) to see if they will take you. If not, come back at the end of the month (about a week before the last day of the month). They may need 1 more person, and be willing to take you then. The biggest thing is to not give up. Show persistance and if they say you need college credits, take some classes at a local community college or online.

I have been taking classes at my community college for 2 semesters. I didn't do too well last semester due to having a horrible bouts of the flu. But I do have some credits... I'm not going to give up at all, because this is what I want.

Thanks for the information Marine. :D

New York
02-13-10, 02:51 PM
Where are you trying to enlist from? Peekskill or NYC?

Phoenix27
02-13-10, 04:52 PM
Where are you trying to enlist from? Peekskill or NYC?

Enlisting in Ithaca, New York.

SaltyFungus
02-13-10, 11:54 PM
Enlisting in Ithaca, New York.

I am a canvassing recruiter out of that area, what your recruiter is telling you is accurate.

commdog7
02-14-10, 06:41 AM
The Corps fluctuates how many recruits they are willing to take in year after year. About 2 years ago, the Corps grew from about 175k to 202k manpower, so we were taking in a large number of recruits and accepting quite a few GED waivers. This year, the Corps is down-grading, therefore the Corps is cutting the number of enlistments and re-enlistments. It is much tougher to get in and stay in than it was a few years ago.

Which means you have to make yourself more competitive. Taking college classes is a good way stay ahead of the competition. Even if the Corps won't accept you this year, they might take you in next year or sometime in the future, depending on the quota.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-16-10, 01:22 AM
Listen to the recruiter we have here on site. AND, the Marine Corps has been EXTREMELY picky in recent years (even during so called 'lean' times) about taking non HS graduates, or those with 'just' GED's.

Basically, unless/until you get 15 college credits, you are out of luck. 15 credits are the key, without them the Corps won't even talk to you. Just the way it is.