PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Convincing Parents this is the right choice

jchayden
02-11-10, 07:13 PM
Hi guys

For the past few years I've wanted to be in the military and I always admired the Marine Corps. My grades are to the point now that I can get into schools like UC Berkley and Stanford, and I really want to join their NROTC programs under the Marine option.

However, my parents are not so hot on the idea. They want to be either Navy of Air Force because it would be "safer" but those branches really don't call to me like the Marines or Army does. They think that I'm just going to become cannon fodder and I'm gonna be shoved onto the front lines and no matter how many times I tell them that there are several different MOS's, They think that because of their poor luck, I'm going to be an Infantry officer (which I really hope is right).

This is something I really want to do and despite what people say about there being more job opportunities for those who join the Navy/ Air Force blah blah blah, I just want to serve my country with the Marine Corps

I would just join whether they like it or not but I'm afraid that if I do, they may not pay for college.

Can anyone give my any ideas of how I can warm them to the idea?

Thanks for the consideration

JC

Lisa 23
02-11-10, 07:25 PM
Try saying...Hi Marines, not Hi guys.

Have you thought about taking your parents to meet with a OSO recruiter? That might help. Have you sat down with your parents and explained to them that this is what YOU want? That might help also.

jchayden
02-11-10, 07:30 PM
I can't take them to see an OSO recruiter because I live outside the country for the time being, and every time I sit down with them, they've made up their mind before I open my mouth. They're as stubborn against it as I am for it.

apologies for not addressing you by your title, I didn't know whether or not I was aloud to seeing as I'm a guest

Does anyone know if I could somehow contact an OSO by email?

MLMonk
02-12-10, 12:11 AM
The NROTC will actually pay for your school if you get on the scholarship (usually just requires a 1st class PFT, and good leadership values). You can look up local OSO offices and call them if you feel necessary. Since you are trying for an officer, you have over 4 years to convince them really. It took me a bit to convince my parents to let me join the Marines as enlisted, even though I wanted to be an officer. Eventually they just accepted the idea and now they are proud of me being a Marine despite me deploying in a few months.

brian0351
02-12-10, 02:28 AM
There is no "convincing them". They want what they think is the best for you. At 18 you will be an adult. Do what is right for you, your parents will come along afterwards.

WalkingMan
02-12-10, 05:59 AM
Hi guys

For the past few years I've wanted to be in the military and I always admired the Marine Corps. My grades are to the point now that I can get into schools like UC Berkley and Stanford, and I really want to join their NROTC programs under the Marine option.

However, my parents are not so hot on the idea. They want to be either Navy of Air Force because it would be "safer" but those branches really don't call to me like the Marines or Army does. They think that I'm just going to become cannon fodder and I'm gonna be shoved onto the front lines and no matter how many times I tell them that there are several different MOS's, They think that because of their poor luck, I'm going to be an Infantry officer (which I really hope is right).

This is something I really want to do and despite what people say about there being more job opportunities for those who join the Navy/ Air Force blah blah blah, I just want to serve my country with the Marine Corps

I would just join whether they like it or not but I'm afraid that if I do, they may not pay for college.

Can anyone give my any ideas of how I can warm them to the idea?

Thanks for the consideration

JC

As far as I know, it is impossible for one person to change another person's mind for them.

I would guess that you have become the person that you are today, with the values that you have today, in large measure, as a result of the upbringing you received from your parents. So in a way, it might be safe to say that your parents are now contradicting everything that they have previously instilled in you, because of fear for your safety.

Islam has declared war against our country and all of Western Civilisation.

If we lose this war, what sort of safety will there be, for anyone?

Try Googling 'islam dearborn michigan', or better yet, Google 'islamberg'.

If everyone worries only about keeping their own miserable hide safe, and letting 'someone else', or 'someone else's son/daughter' stand against these 7th century monsters, our children and grandchildren's corpses will stand as mute testimony, to our sniveling cowardice.

Somebody has to make a stand. Who will that be?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

http://robertwittig.org/

Marine Shu
02-12-10, 12:27 PM
I agree that it is your decision to make, not your parent's. However, you don't want to burn any bridges between yourself and them. You want their support, but you don't want them to make you feel guilty about wanting to join. I have been in this situation. Your best bet is to gather as much information about the Marine Corps as you can. Find out what jobs would be available to you. Go talk to a recruiter or OSO. You can fill out an interest form on www.marines.com (http://www.marines.com) There is a lot of good gouge on that site as well. There is even a link to the parent's site, which will give your parent's some answers to questions that they might have. When you fill out the interest form, you will be contaced by a recruiter who should be able to tell you how to go about getting more info. I'm not sure how recruiting out of the US works, I see that you live in Shanghai right now. When will you be returning to the States? Once you have done your research, present that to your parents and explain how this choice will help you in the long run. It will be a steady source of income, you'll have health coverage, career opportunities, whatever it is that you think is most important to you. If they are adamant about you not joining, let it go for a while, since you want to become an officer which means that you have 4 years to decide, unless you do the NROTC program which would have you going to OCS during your summer breaks. After a year or so, bring the idea back up to your parents. Show that you haven't changed your mind about it, and maybe they will see that you are going to do it with or without them. At your graduation from OCS/TBS they will be the proudest people on Earth, I guarantee that.

tdrt
02-12-10, 01:11 PM
You need to do what's best for you. It's your life, your choices. If you meet the NROTC requirements, you could probably get a full scholarship. Don't let them convince you that just because they have "poor luck", that will be your legacy. You create your own luck and happiness. And just because you become a Marine doesn't automatically mean you're going to become cannon fodder or come back in a body bag.

I am the mom of a 16-yr-old son, and I have to support him and his decisions regardless of how I feel. However, it would be over my dead body if he decided to join the Army though! :)

jchayden
02-13-10, 01:05 PM
haha, I actually grew up in Dearborn, we moved out because there were gang wars between the whites and Lebanese.

anyway, thanks for the input. I'll probably just drop it for a month or two and maybe bring it up later when I have a bunch of information. Plus I could always say the ol' "mom, at least I don't want to be a dancer."

Thanks again for the help and support, it's hard choosing between your parents and country, hopefully I can get to where I don't have to...