PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion on this?

Wheels123
02-10-10, 02:32 PM
(CNN) -- On a chilly morning in February 2009, state police found 26-year-old Kenzie Houk in her bed with a bullet though her head. She was eight months pregnant. <br />
The search for her killer ended...

ARTYPIG
02-10-10, 03:30 PM
Wheel, as much as I'd like to read this, I quit because there is not enough white space but rather one long para graph. So sorry no opinion from me.

SlingerDun
02-10-10, 08:28 PM
When i was 5 my mother was murdered, i didn't carry around any vengeance towards her killer then or now and that's all i have to say about that...
A substitute showed up at the age of 10 that i would have enjoyed seeing covered in dirt. But i sucked it up because i was not a tweaker and was also familiar with those ten commandments, right from wrong etc.. But i would have expected severe punishment if i had killed her and can only imagine how miserable of a nightmare it would be for a boy stashed away in the big kids joint, forever.

--->Dave

Sgt Leprechaun
02-10-10, 08:34 PM
Anything is possible. I'd have to see more information on the case before making a decision on it. Any way you play it, though, it's sad. Kid doesn't sound like a 'thug' type and the vic doesn't sound bad either. Damn shame.

BVD
02-10-10, 08:43 PM
Why was the weapon not locked in a gun cabinet where the child cound not get to it without supervision.

Komenko
02-10-10, 08:52 PM
Why was the weapon not locked in a gun cabinet where the child cound not get to it without supervision.

good question! lack of responsibility on his father's part.

MD8724
02-10-10, 10:00 PM
Do the crime, do the time.

If he really did just walk in, put it to her head, and pull the trigger, then I see nothing wrong with 15 w/o parole.

brian0351
02-11-10, 02:10 AM
But at 11 would he really be mature enough to grasp murder and death?

How many times as children did we tell our parents that we hated them and wish they would die because they grounded us?

And like the article said...a child's mind acts on impulse without the thought of consequences. Cookie! Mine! That's like asking a child if they know the importance of diet, exercise and calorie counting. They don't care they want a cookie.

I feel for the family of the lost but to punish this kid for life is just asinine.

Quinbo
02-11-10, 02:57 AM
It is sad sad sad. The only finger pointing at the parent should be lack of teaching weapons safety not that the gun wasn't locked up.

The DA is stuck trying to pick up a turd by the clean end. It's no win for anybody.

dROD20
02-11-10, 06:43 AM
wow, baddd stiuation. i think the father is at fault for not keeping the shotgun locked up. but anything could have happened here...it could have been the father...it could have been a family friend...of maybe it was the young boy. whatever the truth is, its a sad story. and they put the child in an ADULT jail?! wow...now thats just bad judgement by the police.

buggoffextco
02-11-10, 07:34 AM
Well, my opinion is that even though an 11 year old knows what is right and wrong, all the neural connections in the brain are not complete. There are many things that can be blamed, first being the availability of the weapon but there are others. In this age of video gaming, first person shooters mainly, when someone dies, they "respawn" so the finality of death may not be fully grasped. To a youth, dead forever is a vague concept most certainly for someone who may never have experienced the death of a loved one. I am of the opinion that this youth should not be tried as an adult and punished as such. Doing that leaves nothing to salvage and leads to a lifetime (most likely) of sub productivity and possibly a criminal for life. I would rather see juvenile proceedings where he can learn that there are consequences to behavior but also have a chance to be a "good" adult with counseling and education. This sounds like it might be too easy on the lad but in truth, the separation from family and the unavailability of the lifestyle he was accustomed to has produced the desired effect in much the same way as with an adult who has been incarcerated. JMHO

sdk87to91
02-11-10, 01:13 PM
I often use cite the fact that kids nowadays dont hunt and cant realize the finality of Death. Many kids can only shoot at street signs or homeboys.
This kid however "hunted often" with his dad. Unless they always got skunked this particular kid probably does understand that death is final.
I teach Hunter Education to kids in exactly that age group and I think they are mostly old enough to know better.

I say he should be tried but not sentenced for long. to a kid a year is twelve lifetimes.

I think the father should be tried and held responsible for something.

tdrt
02-11-10, 03:56 PM
If he really did it, then he needs to do the time. He was a hunter. He knows the concept of "dead." He's old enough to know right from wrong and it's wrong to kill. And frankly give a rat's patootie about his age. He knew what he was doing when he went and got the gun, loaded it, and walked into her bedroom and shot her. As far as sentencing, I don't think it should be life or too long and most definately not in with adult offenders. I don't know the answer but there better be a helluva lot of counseling involved.

Marine84
02-11-10, 06:02 PM
That's what's wrong with a lot of kids these days! Everybody wants to treat them like children and let them do adult stuff (huntin' with Dad, go to bed when he wants, do what he wants). When they fk up and do something like say...............kill somebody and there is a price to pay, they still want to treat 'em like children ("he's only 11", he's too young.)

BULL$H!T!!!!!! They let him act like an adult, make his a$$ pay like one! They'll try him as an adult and put him in some high security place for juveniles and make him spend a lot of time alone. As he gets older they can move him from one place to another.

That way, this poor child (can you see my eyes rolling?) can "grow up" with folks his age! He'll be set for life! 3 hots, a cot, cable TV, drugs, visitors, AND sex. I call that a bargain!

Wheels123
02-11-10, 06:05 PM
That's what's wrong with a lot of kids these days! Everybody wants to treat them like children and let them do adult stuff (huntin' with Dad, go to bed when he wants, do what he wants). When they fk up and do something like say...............kill somebody and there is a price to pay, they still want to treat 'em like children ("he's only 11", he's too young.)

BULL$H!T!!!!!! They let him act like an adult, make his a$$ pay like one! They'll try him as an adult and put him in some high security place for juveniles and make him spend a lot of time alone. As he gets older they can move him from one place to another.

That way, this poor child (can you see my eyes rolling?) can "grow up" with folks his age! He'll be set for life! 3 hots, a cot, cable TV, drugs, visitors, AND sex. I call that a bargain!

LMFAO:D