PDA

View Full Version : College in the fleet

Jeffrey183rd
02-10-10, 08:05 AM
Hello Marines. I'm wondering what college in the fleet is like because my recruiter told me there are colleges on every Marine Corps base. How exactly do you fit time to take classes? What is the caliber of the education? I didn't join the Marine Corps for college funds, but i''m having some thoughts on maybe gaining a commission sometime in my enlistment.

TinDragon
02-10-10, 08:17 AM
It depends a lot on your MOS and such. In a job like mine, I have a lot of downtime for online classes because I work nights (including nights on weekends) and there's not too much to do then. If you're in most other jobs, you'll probably work a 8-4:30 type job, so you'll be able to go to college classes on base weekends or evenings. Usually, folks are pretty nice about the college thing, so if you've got classes they'll usually make sure you don't have duty those nights, get you out of field ops for a night or two, etc.

I'd have to say the education is pretty good. The colleges on base are usually well-known colleges, like out here in Okinawa we have the University of Maryland, and I think we've got a college from Texas as well. I personally haven't taken any courses from them though. I have had some friends take courses from AMU (an online college for the military) and they like it.

BR34
02-10-10, 08:35 AM
I have had some friends take courses from AMU (an online college for the military) and they like it.

AMU is cool because they provide the books for each course you sign up for. After registration is complete they mail them directly to your house. I couldn't be happier with them.

Jefferey, as far as down time to get courses complete it really does depend on your particular MOS, the courses you're taking, your rank, etc. I often find time to do homework and sometimes even write entire essays while I'm at work. But that's because my MOS is slow in the winter time, and I'm not a PFC or LCpl, running around doing working parties whenever I'm done with work.

Even if you don't want to get commisioned one day you should definitely take advantage of the educational benefits the Corps will give you.

Jeffrey183rd
02-10-10, 08:47 AM
Thank you Marines.

samthomas
02-10-10, 09:24 AM
My experience is less exciting. We were able to sign up for courses on deployment; classes were scheduled around field time. The instructor was an officer, who was not trained or qualified to teach at the collegiate level. I completed nine credits this way, over two floats.

There was also the opportunity to sign up for courses at the camp, but the only Marines I ever saw successful at doing this were from HQ platoon. The rest of us who tried ended up having to drop the course due to other commitments.

The online options that you have should be a great benefit. Take advantage of it all.

brian0351
02-10-10, 11:19 AM
If you go infantry...forget it. You won't have time for any courses.

As for commissioning in the Marines. Most of the Enlisted to Officer programs send you to college at your current payrate. Basically the Marines will pay you to go to college. You will be a full time student and the only responsibility is to usually check in with the local ROTC squad. The Capt I work for here did a similar program as a Ssgt.

BR34
02-10-10, 11:36 AM
You will be a full time student and the only responsibility is to usually check in with the local ROTC squad.

We don't want to give him the wrong idea. It's a little more than just checking in. They're still required to maintain MC standards and regs. They still have to PT 3 hours a week. They're still held accountable by anyone appointed above them.

These programs though, like MECEP, I believe are some of the best the Corps offers. Getting base pay, BAH, and BAS to go to any school in the country with a ROTC program...can't beat that.

Vandrel
02-10-10, 01:08 PM
There was also the opportunity to sign up for courses at the camp, but the only Marines I ever saw successful at doing this were from HQ platoon. The rest of us who tried ended up having to drop the course due to other commitments.

If you go infantry...forget it. You won't have time for any courses.

Yup, couldn't agree more. Doing any type of off-duty education or work is going to be HIGHLY dependant on your MOS and your unit. If you are any type of combat arms related MOS and your unit is in a swift deployment cycle you might as well not even waste your time.

Furthermore it's going to also depend on your rank, junior enlisted (E-3 and below) in most combat arms MOS's will have little to no time for off-duty education or work when they are new to the Fleet.

While it is a great opportunity for some free education it's also a very rough time line to keep up with if your unit has a 0530 to 1800 daily training schedule to follow. In most cases work doesn't stop at 1600 or even 1800, after hours can often be spent getting things ready for the next day or a upcoming field op. Monday to Friday after 1600 may look free for classes but then there is Field Day for Thursday so scratch that day if your unit is Field Day Crazy, Monday's you can expect staff meetings which will eventually carry down some long list of "word" to pass from "higher" during the afternoon accountability formation. Friday is safety brief day and in most cases safety stand down day, scratch that day due to death by power point. On top of that you can expect at least one day of duty each month, if you are a boot chances are you may have more then one day of duty, so that's another day scratched.

For education during deployments, well, I had that stuff tossed at me and all of my Marines and guess what happened? We ended up living outside the wire for 7 months with little to no time to do anything other then sleep, eat, stand post, patrol.

Those are just rough examples, keep in mind it's all about the MOS and unit level tempo. It sucks but it's just the way it is for most Marines that don't spend their entire career behind a desk or in some office.

BR34
02-10-10, 04:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned taking college courses should be mandatory in the USMC. There should be a rule that a person has to have 'x' number of college credits to receive an honorable discharge. <br />

samthomas
02-10-10, 05:24 PM
Make it mandatory, and it will become like the MCI's. <br />
<br />
It should be encouraged, and time provided (when not deployed), so that Marines are able to pursue a reasonable amount of off-duty...

Jeffrey183rd
02-10-10, 05:54 PM
wow samthomas 20 credits 4 years?? I spoke to a Marine and he told me he earned his bachelors 3 years in the Marine Corps. He was an airwinger and from what I hear its a more relaxed environment. My contract has me for 0600 communications, and ill probably audition for the Marine Corp band in a couple of months. I understand a lot of it depends on Unit but, do you think communications will at the very least allow me to have an associates degree?

BR34
02-10-10, 06:09 PM
Make it mandatory, and it will become like the MCI's.

Care to elaborate on this? Not sure I understand what you mean.

Vandrel
02-10-10, 06:33 PM
^ He means if you make it manditory then it will become about as pointless as MCI's are, the answers are in the back of every book and no ones takes them seriously... they are just another check in the box for promotion and more often then not they are a huge waste of paper.

It should be encouraged, absolutely but the problem is that most junior Marines don't grasp the concept when their leadership tells them they cannot take classes and disapprove their requests to enroll. Mission always comes first and if the leadership feels it will get in the way then it will get stamped DENIED in a heart beat, the only thing that the individual Marine thinks is that the leadership is dumb and is making it into a personal grudge, they don't see the bigger picture that the leadership is in most cases doing them a favor and keeping them from getting set up for failure.

^ Of course most online courses don't apply to that but classes that require command approval or modified work hours do fall into this.

BR34
02-10-10, 06:38 PM
^ He means if you make it manditory then it will become about as pointless as MCI's are, the answers are in the back of every book and no ones takes them seriously... they are just another check in the box for promotion and more often then not they are a huge waste of paper.

That's because MCIs are done in-house. (Actually, the answers are no longer in the books. Tests have to be taken online and test takers have to be signed in by a proctor).

College courses won't be the same because they will be administered by organizations with no direct affiliation with the Marine Corps.

I understand it's nearly impossible for something like this to happen in any branch of the military for a multitude of reasons, but I still believe it would be a good idea if there was a way to implement it.

Vandrel
02-10-10, 06:41 PM
It would be awsome if the military, Marine Corps in specific, allocated "x" amount of time for Marines to get a education and tossed out MCI's all together to replace them with "REAL" educational material required for promotion that will benifit the Marine in the long run after the military.

I was lucky enough to get hired on after I got out with no degrees or certifications. Experience and OJT for the win.

Jeffrey183rd
02-10-10, 06:51 PM
What exactly are MCI's?

Lisa 23
02-10-10, 06:54 PM
What exactly are MCI's?

Marine Corps Institute, commonly known as MCI, is a coursework of Marine Corps related education. Various subjects include infantry strategy/tactics, leadership skills, MOS qualifications, personal finance, and mathematics, as well as a host of other subjects. MCI's are generally required for promotion to the next enlisted rank.

echo3oscar1833
02-10-10, 06:58 PM
Yeah right, I knew Marines, and still do that are freaking Gomer's. No offense to them, but some of them could barely pass Boot, MCT, and MOS school. We would be setting more Marines up for failure...

Phantom Blooper
02-10-10, 07:11 PM
The instructor was an officer, who was not trained or qualified to teach at the collegiate level.

I went on six pumps and another to Lebanon....each time they had a professor brought on the ship at Morehead City NC...except the Lebanon trip and he stayed with the MAU and taught classes daily.

Yes he did work around the Marines schedule...for the field.

He was billeted in Officer Country berthing area and was issued a civilian DOD ID card that gave him the equivalent rank of an officer.

He left the ship back to the states when we went into Rota,Spain for the cleansing of the ships and equipment.

So you might have a certified to teach professor on your pump.:evilgrin:

samthomas
02-11-10, 03:43 PM

That is what I meant. Even though it would be an outside organization running them, the learning experience would end up being watered down.

each time they had a professor brought on the ship at Morehead City NC...except the Lebanon trip and he stayed with the MAU and taught classes daily.
So you might have a certified to teach professor on your pump.:evilgrin:

We had a couple of instructors from Central Texas College, but I never took any classes with them. My last two course on deployment were with a Chief and a 2nd Lt. I am not opposed to the education that is available while serving, but it could be better.

I separated in 2001, so I am sure things are a great deal better now. The access to online courses would be a great advantage, and all Marines should take advantage of it. Maximize the courses while you are in, so that you are able to maximize what you get with the GI Bill later on.

Phantom Blooper
02-11-10, 05:06 PM
This was in the 70's and 80's.....so education was caveman....before Al set the internet to work.

So now I am sure with the gear,barracks.... the out sourcing of education is probally better.:evilgrin:

BR34
02-11-10, 06:17 PM
Yeah right, I knew Marines, and still do that are freaking Gomer's. No offense to them, but some of them could barely pass Boot, MCT, and MOS school. We would be setting more Marines up for failure than success by implementing a program of this magnitude. I know you mean well BR, but I call no go on that kinda program. :marine:

I know what you mean. I know those Marines. But we adapt and overcome when dealing with difficult situations.

In 15 years we're going to be in a world where Marines can't expect to EAS and just jump right into the job market without more than a high school diploma. Then we're really going to be setting them up for failure. If a Marine is too dumb for philosophy classes they can simply take a bunch of courses to count toward their elective credits.

...but I digress. If I were ever Commandant I would be hated throughout the Marine Corps for more reasons than this.