PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good Idea?

lancejr14
02-09-10, 10:37 PM
hello marines,
My grandfather was a Marine In the Korean war. I know he has two purple hearts and another metal,not sure which. But I don't know what he got them for. I was wondering if it is idea to ask how he earned them. FYI I know he had has struggles with Ptsd in the past. So i don't If asking about it would make it worse.

MLMonk
02-09-10, 10:47 PM
Purple Hearts are for being wounded in battle. That is really all there is to them. I used to ask my dad how he got his Distinguished Flying Cross in Vietnam, he just told me "Some mission over Hanoi". I never asked him again, it didn't feel really right to bring up that subject with him. It really depends on the person, some are ok with it, others aren't.

brian0351
02-10-10, 04:44 AM
Best bet is to wait until you join the Marine Corps. I had the same thing with my uncle. He was wounded in Vietnam. A few years into my enlistment, him and I had a few beers and I asked him about his time in Vietnam. He said, "I've been waiting years to have someone to talk to who would understand how us Marines are..."

Right now at this point, you have no idea what he went through or the understanding of what it is to be a Marine in a unit of Marines. You also don't know what it's like to lose some of those Marines.

Silentwarrior17
02-10-10, 07:59 AM
brian0351 took the words right out of my mouth. Best advice you could have.

SGTBrentG
02-10-10, 09:14 AM
Although I agree with the advice you have gotten here, I will tell you from experience that you will regret it one day if you let the opportunity go by to find out if he will talk about it. I regret not asking my grandfather about his service in WWII and I will never know........

Silentwarrior17
02-10-10, 09:19 AM
I agree with brent here too, but you will get him to open up a lot more if you were to wait. Even after your boot graduation, he will see you as more than just his grandson and you will be his brother now. He will open up to another marine because you could tell him all your boot stories and he can tell you about the war.

lancejr14
02-10-10, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the advise I think I will wait until after I become a Marine to ask him about it.

Rocky C
02-10-10, 03:45 PM
Best bet is to wait until you join the Marine Corps. I had the same thing with my uncle. He was wounded in Vietnam. A few years into my enlistment, him and I had a few beers and I asked him about his time in Vietnam. He said, "I've been waiting years to have someone to talk to who would understand how us Marines are..."

Right now at this point, you have no idea what he went through or the understanding of what it is to be a Marine in a unit of Marines. You also don't know what it's like to lose some of those Marines.

:usmc::thumbup::usmc:

SGT7477
02-10-10, 04:38 PM
hello marines,
My grandfather was a Marine In the Korean war. I know he has two purple hearts and another metal,not sure which. But I don't know what he got them for. I was wondering if it is idea to ask how he earned them. FYI I know he had has struggles with Ptsd in the past. So i don't If asking about it would make it worse.
Probably could make it worst but your local courthouse might have his records.:flag:

Sgt Leprechaun
02-10-10, 09:41 PM
As a historian, my response is to tell you to ask. He's not getting any younger and anything could happen. While you can get his service records, hearing it from HIM will make all the difference.

It's going to depend, really, on your relationship with him. If you are close and he feels comfortable, then ask. If not, then probably not, and waiting *may* be the best idea after all. Only you can answer that question, however.

At the worst, he won't tell you anything. That happens, and don't take it personal.

lancejr14
02-11-10, 05:58 PM
I know that he was in one of the first nonsegregated units in the Marines, So I have always wanted about his experiences in Marines. Also his health is not the best so waiting may not be the best idea either