PDA

View Full Version : Is the Marine Corps Full?

packvip
02-09-10, 05:59 PM
Hello Marines. I've been having a hell of a time trying to enlist lately. I started this whole process around last mid-September, and I'm still in limbo. Right now, I'm Qualified but not Enlisted, and my recruiters are telling me that they are waiting for word to send more kids up to MEPS, and that I'm first on the list to go. Apparently they aren't taking in any women or reservists, and that it's just too full and enlistments are being slowed to a near hault, essentially.

Is this the case? I'm getting mixed signals, they haven't been contacting me at all. I was intitially supposed to go back up to finally swear in Feb. 2, but the 4th rolled around and they hadn't called me, or let me know that my original recruiter had left on new orders. This has been a reacurring problem, and now I'm hesitant to believe everything they're telling me.

Can anyone here validate what I'm being toldl? If there's any other guys or gals going through the enlistment process reading this, are you being told the same things?

Thanks for your time Marines

josephd
02-09-10, 06:03 PM
I really don't know the answer to your question but I can say that the Marine Corps has met their goal of manpower numbers over the last couple years. Right now they can be very selective of who they are allowing to enlist.

Lisa 23
02-09-10, 06:06 PM
Instead of 'waiting' around for your recruiter to call you, why don't you drop by your RS and talk with your recruiter face to face.

packvip
02-09-10, 06:07 PM
Yeah, they had told me that a while ago. But the constant delays, combined with the fact that a kid I took the ASVAB with(and that I got a better score than, with the same desired MOS) enlisted a couple months ago, have made me a bit suspicious I guess.

packvip
02-09-10, 06:10 PM
Instead of 'waiting' around for your recruiter to call you, why don't you drop by your RS and talk with your recruiter face to face.

I have maam. I went in on the 4th, and was told the same thing, kind've a shrug of the shoulder and hands in the air kind've thing.

DADDYMAC34
02-09-10, 06:23 PM
Someone just told me, that in her neck of the woods. Recruiters are cutting the bottom 10% of poolees (already DEPd) with the worst PT scores (even if it is passing). Not sure how true/false that is but, what kind of shape are you in?

Other than that just keep trying!!!

packvip
02-09-10, 06:30 PM
Huh.. Well, that is interesting. My IST score wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't awful, and I've been working out 5 days a week and I've lost 15 lbs by dieting and such.

I hope this isn't the case. I want to become a Marine, and I feel like I deserve a chance at least.

Phantom Blooper
02-09-10, 07:02 PM
Are you in the weight standards now?

Were you when you started back in 9/09?

The Marine Corps may not be full.....but from what I have heard they are only taking the ones that meet all the requirements without waivers and excess baggage.

You need to stay at the recruiters office....bivoac....camp out on the doorstep.....and ask the question,"What do I need to do Marine,to get in the Marine Corps?"

I am not for certain on how it works but your area and region could have met its requirements and they are waiting for openings.....

Be firm and ask questions.

Go back in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine forum and read some of the posts.....poolees and wannabees are having a hard time getting in and are being told that they should wait until October when the new fiscal year opens up.

Good luck!:evilgrin:

packvip
02-09-10, 07:14 PM
I wasn't at the weight standard intially (I'm 6'2, and at the time around 215, 220- I was told my max to be at was 208, which I'm under now).

I think you're right, I probably do need to just start showing my face at the office more. It's difficult, because my work schedule conflicts with the DEP workouts they have on Thursday nights, so I don't think that's helping me.

Thank you for your advice sir, I will most definitely be following it!

samthomas
02-09-10, 07:16 PM
I feel like I deserve a chance at least.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who are thinking the same thing. In this economy, you need to ensure that you are at the top of the applicant list (pt, leadership potential, etc...).

packvip
02-09-10, 07:19 PM
That is a very good point sir..

Sgt Leprechaun
02-10-10, 09:21 PM
If you had a weight waiver, then for sure you would be pushed to the 'back of the line'.