PDA

View Full Version : Time for chevrons after promotion.

0627Instructor
02-09-10, 01:01 PM
Greetings,

Can anyone tell me the order that states how long a Marine has to put chevrons on their uniform after they get promoted? I've checked 1020.34G and found nothing. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Hanzo
02-09-10, 01:38 PM
I did some searching and couldn't come up with anything. Officers have a grace period of 120 days, but I couldn't find anything for enlisted. I did, however, find a yahoo answers thread where the consensus was that there isn't a specific order, but you'd be out of uniform when wearing it or for inspection. Thats a long way away from being definitive by any means, but it sounds reasonable.

0627Instructor
02-09-10, 01:55 PM
The rule I've always heard is 30 days. But I have a Marine that was promoted to PFC on Dec 1st and has yet to put chevrons on, even after numerous inspections and warnings. I'm writing up a charge...

SGT7477
02-09-10, 02:26 PM
What the hell doesn't he want to move on, maybe take his pay away too, tell me it isn't Gomer Pyle?:D

polizei
02-09-10, 02:27 PM
I think it's 30 days. At least that's what I've always been told. It's not hard to do, especially if you're active.

Zulu 36
02-09-10, 03:28 PM
I don't know about now, but in my day if your sleeve didn't match your ID, trouble was a'comin'. You were out-of-uniform just the same as if you weren't wearing the EGA on the collars of your Alphas.

sscjoe
02-09-10, 03:38 PM
Ditto, the first thing we always did after the promotion was take everything to the tailors. The first time I picked up PFC, I knew it was coming so I had the correct duty uniform ready prior to the promtion.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-09-10, 06:56 PM
30 days is the 'traditional' time period.

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 08:01 PM
What the hell doesn't he want to move on, maybe take his pay away too, tell me it isn't Gomer Pyle?:D

Im definitely with you on this one, if you earn the next rank why in the hell would you not want to show it off !

02-09-10, 09:31 PM
This topic is very confusing to me. I've never heard of a grace period! I was always taught to have that stuff ready BEFORE you are promoted. Why the hell would you wear something that shows a past rank?!

Vandrel
02-09-10, 09:32 PM
^ sticking it to the man is how some see it. No different then why they don't want to shave in the morning or get a hair cut on Sunday.

I would have to search the orders but I can almost garuntee from what I recall is the order states 30 days following the date of the warrent. The reason for this is to allow the Marine ample pay periods to sqaure away the uniforms and not be expected to have them ready all at once.

Article 92 is a pretty easy one, failure to obey..... "Hey turd, go get your uniforms fixed"

It doesn't have to be specifically about the uniform regs but rather the render to the order given to correct the uniforms and the failure of.

Telling someone to do something, for example, You need to be here at "x" time. Being UA will also carry a 92 along with it for the failure to obey.

SGT7477
02-09-10, 09:39 PM
When we got promoted you best get your azz down to the tailor ASAP.

Phantom Blooper
02-09-10, 09:55 PM
If you know you are getting promoted....which most Marines know the date...one of each shirt and the blouse of the season and at least 1 pair of utility chevrons should already be sitting in the wallocker...when that warrant is executed.

I agree with Sgt Zulu....ID card should match rank....on uniform

May have been an order.....never heard of it though....but once you was promoted all uniforms went and had chevrons put on.....either lunch time or first available free time in that day......the warrant was executed.

:evilgrin:

MLMonk
02-09-10, 10:10 PM
I got my LCpl chevrons on my uniforms the week before I got pinned. Why does he seem to not want to get promoted?

To the 2nd post: The hell would an officer need 120 days to get his uniforms up to the rank they are. Everything they own is a pin on rank. Do they expect to make the ranks themselves and put it on once a week or something?

I've been told it's 30 days to get your ranks sewn on.

Phantom Blooper
02-09-10, 10:35 PM
Send him to the tailor with chevrons and Velcro.:evilgrin:

0627Instructor
02-11-10, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the input.

This Marine is just out of MCT and I'm his primary MOS Instructor. My whole take on it was if he didn't want to take the time to get the chevrons put on then he OBVIOUSLY doesn't want the rank right?

We had a Bravos inspection on the 5th and he showed me the receipt for the tailor. Not only has it been well over two months since he got promoted, but the receipt said his shirts were ready for a pick up a week and a half before the inspection.

The school house drives me mad sometimes. We get them straight out of MCT and we have to teach them everything it seems, and it worries me. How is it these young Marines are just outta Boot, but they can't tell me where Devil Dog comes from? Or the Blood Stripe? Why are none of their uniforms marked and why do they not know where those markings go?What's going on at MCRD these days!?

Silentwarrior17
02-11-10, 07:07 AM
And that is where it is your job to teach them (as I'm sure you are doing, and doing well). I can't tell you the countless marines who come out of school and don't know a single thing. Regardless of the product that MCRD is producing, mentor the marines...and make the SOB sweat for those mosquito wings. They will either become really smart or really strong.

Hanzo
02-11-10, 08:47 AM
To the 2nd post: The hell would an officer need 120 days to get his uniforms up to the rank they are. Everything they own is a pin on rank. Do they expect to make the ranks themselves and put it on once a week or something?

Couldn't tell ya, but thats the reg I found. My guess is that it has to do with changing different grades of officer so that you can get your scrambled eggs, etc.

polizei
02-11-10, 12:11 PM
It's not MCRD, it's the recruit/Marine. If they don't care to know, they aren't going to learn. And I don't think it's a requirement to have markings anymore. At least not to my knowledge...I think I'm the only one at my unit with all my trash marked. Lol!

SGT7477
02-11-10, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input.

This Marine is just out of MCT and I'm his primary MOS Instructor. My whole take on it was if he didn't want to take the time to get the chevrons put on then he OBVIOUSLY doesn't want the rank right?

We had a Bravos inspection on the 5th and he showed me the receipt for the tailor. Not only has it been well over two months since he got promoted, but the receipt said his shirts were ready for a pick up a week and a half before the inspection.

The school house drives me mad sometimes. We get them straight out of MCT and we have to teach them everything it seems, and it worries me. How is it these young Marines are just outta Boot, but they can't tell me where Devil Dog comes from? Or the Blood Stripe? Why are none of their uniforms marked and why do they not know where those markings go?What's going on at MCRD these days!?
They should of had my DI's.:D

Silentwarrior17
02-11-10, 01:20 PM
Polizei - it is still a requirement to have your uniforms marked. Some have just fallen out of, or don’t know the true practice of doing a full uniform inspection. Last thing you want to do is hit a formal school with unmarked uniforms. Not pretty.

RedCowboy
02-11-10, 03:15 PM
Mine still have PFC chevrons because I have been in Iraq most of my career and there wasn't any need. Now, I just found out I am going to afghan so again, no inspection is coming up but as for the question, I dont' thin kthere was a maradmin stating anything about the grace period you have to get them done. If you know are getting promoted, it is common sense to have them fixed. Now, while I was in the school house, I got promoted to PFC but I was not keeping track so it was last minute for me. A week later I had the Alpha's inspection. Since I just got promoted, the instructors stated I had 30 days to get them done. I still got them done in less then a week. I'm so cool.

avenger08
02-12-10, 05:02 PM
i dont know the official order but i have always heard that you have 30 days after date of promotion to have chevrons put on your uniforms.