PDA

View Full Version : Reading Vietnam Diary by Sparrowhawk

foreverproud
02-09-10, 03:36 AM
I've been coming back daily since I discovered Leatherneck because of the wealth of information and history through out the entire site. I like history ... military history and I like learning.

I ventured down to the Vietnam Diary tonight and started reading ... it didn't take long for the tears to start flowing. I know that I can never know the experience or feel what any Vietnam Vet must, but I still feel an emotion that I cannot really describe with any particular word.

I wrote Rudy the entire time he was in Vietnam. We graduated from high school the same year. Before Rudy left he asked me to hold on to some of his things until he got back .... track medals, 45's ... a couple of high school pictures. Not sure why he asked me, but I was fine keeping them for him. I'm glad I was able to return his mementos to him.

He sent me a few pictures while he was there. He had sent me one picture just before he left and I remember he looked too skinny. I've kept the pictures. Years later the letters were painful and I threw them away. I regret that.

Reading Sparrowhawk's diary ... which is beautifully written ... made me realize how little I understood Rudy's or any other Vet's experience. I'm married to a Vietnam Vet ... not a Marine ... Army ... but a deserving Vet nonetheless, and I realize that I can never really understand his experience either. I don't know if Sparrowhawk is frequently around on Leatherneck ... but if you are, thank you for posting your diary. I plan on reading every word of it. Thank you for your service, my gratitude cannot be expressed enough.

And as a parent of a Marine now serving in Afghanistan ... I know that his experience will change him forever. I will never be able to touch that part of his soul ... his heart.

My dad was a WWII Vet, Navy Seabea ... 10 years active, 20 years reserves and retired at age 60. He also served 4 years in the Army ...lol...in between there somewhere. I think my dad did try to share his experience with me .... from an early age ... he never taught me to sing Itsy-Bitsy Spider when I was little... he taught me Anchors Away, From the Halls of Montezuma and The Caissons Go Rolling Along. I remember him having me sing each anthem to friends and family. I listened to his memories many times over.

As a civilian, reading Sparrowhawk's diary tonight fills me with admiration, respect and a recognition of indebtedness for service served well and with honor.

Thank you Marines