PDA

View Full Version : order on the wearing of civilian PT gear..

benw2200
02-08-10, 10:29 PM
Does anyone know the actual Marine Corps order on the regs for wearing civilian PT shorts in places like a PX, chow hall, etc. It seems like I'm always hearing people talk about pockets, like if shorts have a certain number of pockets they are ok to wear in public as "non-pt" shorts. My unit is de-mobilizing in Pendleton right now and I've seen guys in the PX and chow hall here wearing civilian PT shorts with pockets and not getting chewed out for doing so.. so I'm assuming there's some type of maradmin/almar/whatever on the subject. thanks.

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 05:28 AM
All you have to do is read your base order (BO 1020.8W) Devil.
The BO's will tell you everything (i.e., belts, shirt styles, etc.) that you can and cannot wear to include wearing headgear sideways or backwards in some cases.

ARTYPIG
02-09-10, 09:14 AM
It used to be that any shorts you wear had to have four pockets like your trousers and had to have belt loops, and as you know if it has belt loops you wear a belt. They also need to be cleaned and pressed if need be. Marines aren't like any other branch, we take pride in everything we do or wear. We are NOT bags of poop for a lack of a better word or one that can be typed here.

Semper Fi!

BR34
02-09-10, 09:15 AM
I think the uniform order is P1020

FistFu68
02-09-10, 09:35 AM
:evilgrin: Starch Your Skivvies like a Board @ wear them that should Impress the Brass :D :flag:

Old Marine
02-09-10, 10:17 AM
I have a suggestion. Dress the way that a Marine should dress and you will not have a problem.

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 10:22 AM
I have a suggestion. Dress the way that a Marine should dress and you will not have a problem.

OORAH GUNNY !!!

how to dress and present ourselves is basic boot camp Marine knowledge.

A good moto to go by is "When In Doubt, DONT !"

MD8724
02-09-10, 11:05 AM
If the order says he can wear his shorts, then I guess that would be a way that a Marine should dress. :)

Old Marine
02-09-10, 03:04 PM
Its amazing that for years and years the Marine Corps has survived because real Marines do not question orders given by superiors, either verbaly or written.

It seems that these days according to some, if it is a written order they want to know who wrote it and who signed it. Why it was written and so on. Sounds a lot like some people still haven't gotten rid of their civilian fire drill ways. Nothing ceases to amaze me these days.

MD8724
02-10-10, 09:58 PM
It's generally best to understand an order before you follow it blindly.

Man, I love having DISCUSSION boards, where we can DISCUSS things.

Silentwarrior17
02-11-10, 07:48 AM
Anyone ever see a Lcpl tell a Cpl or a Sgt that 'I can wear these cuz it says in the MCO blah blah blah'...I think not. Don't worry about the order and don't worry about what everyone else is wearing. You know what to wear regardless of the MCO. Believe me...I seen a Cpl try to bring this crap of MCO up on a Lt. Col and the Sgts and above in the PX got thier Azz handed to them in the middle of the store for not correcting the marine...you will get corrected if need be, it's just a matter of time.

Old Marine
02-11-10, 10:11 AM
It's generally best to understand an order before you follow it blindly.

Man, I love having DISCUSSION boards, where we can DISCUSS things.

There are many times when you verbaly receive an order and it has to be followed immediately. (Meaning that you do not have time to question it or go to S-1 and look it up.) :evilgrin:

Wheels123
02-11-10, 10:48 AM
MCO P1020.34G is the order on uniform regulations. Use common sense, if you have to question whether or not you can wear it, don't wear it. It is simple as that, definately don't try pulling the "Well the MCO says this" crap. You might just step on the wrong toes and next thing you know the Base Commander puts out an order stating that all Marines will only wear "Charlies" while on liberty.

StoneTheWeak
02-11-10, 12:34 PM
I wear pt shorts with pockets all the time, and never catch hell for it. And I carry a copy of the order on civilian attire in case some poorly misinformed motivator thinks the order says I can't. There's a difference between what the order/base allows and what someone else thinks they should allow.

I'm gonna go with the order and the base, not the individual, considering the orders are written by people with shinier things on their collar.

Silentwarrior17
02-11-10, 01:13 PM
Good luck there stone, dont' say we didn't try to warn ya.

Marine Shu
02-11-10, 02:43 PM
I must say that some people go way out of their way to 'correct' people. I wear a high-and-tight. There is a fade there, but it is a very sharp fade, not as gradual as most people get, but it is there. I was in the PX when a motivated Sgt started chewing me out to go get it fixed right this instant. Well, my Gunny was with me, and tore into this Sgt. He basically told him that there was nothing wrong with my haircut and that he was just jealous that I was more motivated than he was.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that what may be ok in one person's eye might appear nasty or out of regs for someone else. What would you do in a situation like that? If your SNCO, OIC and all of your unit says you are g2g, then why listen to someone you have never met before and that doesn't know anything about you. I usually leave people be unless I saw something that was WAY out of line. If it was a behaviour issue, I correct them right away, but if it was something about how much hair they do or dont have on their head, then I leave that to their chain of command. What are your opinions?

Silentwarrior17
02-11-10, 02:48 PM
I agree with ya there. I'm not saying I would go out of my way to correct a Marine on something that is 'on the edge'. I do know however that there are a lot of Marines out there that worry WAY too much about what other marines are doing and what is going with that Marine at the moment. There is a time and a place for a correction to be made and most of the time it is obvious. Some just don't care and what they say goes no matter who you are.

GSEMarine94
02-11-10, 02:58 PM
Funniest thing I ever saw happened at the PX on New River, a moto SSGT walked up to a Marine in civies. He had a high and tight and was dressed like an off duty Marine should, but it was obvious he hadn't shaved that day. Well after listening to the SSGT square him away the Marine informed him that was a retired Marine and hadn't seen the MCO concerning retired Marines as of yet.

BR34
02-11-10, 03:02 PM
Funniest thing I ever saw happened at the PX on New River, a moto SSGT walked up to a Marine in civies. He had a high and tight and was dressed like an off duty Marine should, but it was obvious he hadn't shaved that day. Well after listening to the SSGT square him away the Marine informed him that was a retired Marine and hadn't seen the MCO concerning retired Marines as of yet.

:D

StoneTheWeak
02-12-10, 02:07 AM
Another one. I've been wearing the same pair of sunglasses since August, in and out of uniform. Oakleys with polarized lenses that I bought in the PX. Because of the polarization they reflect, but they aren't considered mirrored. But to a CPL in my shop they are. But every other individual up and down the rank structure has never said a word. Amazing how it works.

The instant someone picks up rank, they start thinking they own the show. He just got pinned the 1st. Go figure.

Silentwarrior17
02-12-10, 07:31 AM
Well then learn from that stone. Pick the traits you want from your leaders as you see them thru the ranks. Respect them, as I'm sure you know, but take what you like and throw away what you don't like, and when you get to that stage implement it.

LetUsNvr4Get
02-12-10, 07:39 AM
Well then learn from that stone. Pick the traits you want from your leaders as you see them thru the ranks. Respect them, as I'm sure you know, but take what you like and throw away what you don't like, and when you get to that stage implement it.

Agreed ! Learn from those senior in rank to you, both their good and their bad habits and if you dont like something about the way they lead, then that should just push you to GAIN RANK AND BE A BETTER LEADER THEN THEY ARE !

GunnyFury
03-16-10, 02:04 PM
Marines don't question orders. However, I do applaud the Marine that can research MCO and directives to double check the accuracy of the order. The reason is because you have SNCOs that somehow think...

CplAllen
03-17-10, 05:11 PM
There are many times when you verbaly receive an order and it has to be followed immediately. (Meaning that you do not have time to question it or go to S-1 and look it up.) :evilgrin:

No disrespect, Gunny, but this is not one of those times. A young Marine is wanting to know what the regs are so he can be squared away and do the right thing. Is there really that kind of issue here as far as bringing war-time scenarios into a simple question about the chow hall? If this is not what you meant by it than disregard.

CplAllen
03-17-10, 05:14 PM
Another one. I've been wearing the same pair of sunglasses since August, in and out of uniform. Oakleys with polarized lenses that I bought in the PX. Because of the polarization they reflect, but they aren't considered mirrored. But to a CPL in my shop they are. But every other individual up and down the rank structure has never said a word. Amazing how it works.

The instant someone picks up rank, they start thinking they own the show. He just got pinned the 1st. Go figure.

You should get used to this, I think. One day you will be there and have to give orders to your friends. It sucks but that's the name of the game brother.

blackup
03-18-10, 12:08 AM
Three biggest myths about uniform regs:

1. Skivvie shirts MUST be worn

2. **** cover cannot be tilted

3. Low regs are unsat

Beltayn
03-18-10, 11:24 PM
As a Food Service Marine, I can tell you that the policy at MCAS Cherry Point Chow Hall is that if you are wearing obvious civilian PT gear, pockets or no pockets, our Marines will correct you and inform you that such attire is inappropriate for eating in the DFAC.

This isn't so much for the purpose of uniformity or appearance. Its for hygienic and sanitation reasons. PT gear is designed for and used to PT in, and even when clean is not appropriate attire for a sanitary dining facility utilized by hundreds of Marines daily.
We aren't asking you to be a motard, we're asking you to help us not get your fellow Marines sick.

It's the same as the policy where Marines are expected to not place their covers or Kevlars on the eating surface of the tables.
There's generally a very good reason for the rules that are in place, and if you don't understand that reason it can be potentially harmful when you seek loopholes.

The exception in the case of the chow hall is if you are merely getting a hot tray for an SIQ Marine or fast food take-out.

As a Food Service Marine, regardless of what you decide to do in the PX or elsewhere, I would request that you avoid wearing PT gear in general when eating at any USMC Dining Facility.