PDA

View Full Version : Marines I Need Advice

JR189
02-08-10, 06:09 PM
For the past year now ive been thinking of joining, i want to see the world, meet new people, learn new things, and most of all defend this great country. Though all of this came to a hault when i was offered a job that is hard to get, my father and my friends told me im dumb and crazy if i didn't take it. i told my recruieter this and he suggested the reserves tho i really want active duty. Can i start with the reserves, and after time passes get in active duty? At this point i keep telling myself i want to become a Marine, and i would do anything it takes, Plus i feel like im not gonna last with this job because ive put alot of thought into this. I read alot about the reserves, but im really looking to travel not stay here. Do Reserves get deployed alot? I want deployment. I really need advice anything would be great.
Take Care Marines and THANK YOU for defending our country

Lisa 23
02-08-10, 06:19 PM
You took the time to make a post, now take the time to fill out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to. :thumbup: Also, read the site rules in the poolee and the Ask A Marine forums, too.

polizei
02-08-10, 06:46 PM
Well that was work just trying to figure out what the heck you said.

In short, go active if you want active. Reserves can switch to active, but you have to get permission, it takes over a year, new contract, blah blah not worth it. Units rotate deployments so you'll have no idea. And don't worry about deployments until you're in the fleet.

Silentwarrior17
02-08-10, 08:37 PM
If you want to be in the corps but don't want to give this job up then go reserves. If you want to go active than do it too. Remember it's your life, not your parents. You are the one who is going to have to do it all day every day not them. Now for going from reserve to active. You first have to be in your company for 2 years. That means that you will be approx. 2 1/2 years into your contract. If at that time and point you wish to go active, all you have to do is get the paperwork started. It will not take over a year as I did it and it took only around 4 1/2 months and that was during the christmas holiday at the time. Just think really hard about what YOU and you alone want. It isn't going to be your dad or your friends that have to get up and live out your day it's you. Talk with your recuriter and get a plan going on it. Also, if you take this job and then decide to go into the marines, reserve or active, the job HAS to be held for you, it's Federal Law. And about the deployments...we are at war, you aren't going to have to worry about deployments, you'll get 'em.