PDA

View Full Version : Marine corps policy on mma

wannabeUSMCmp
02-07-10, 07:38 PM
Like the title says, what is the marine corps policy about fighting while on active duty?
thanks in advance for answers

CplGiraffe
02-07-10, 08:30 PM
Depends on what you mean by fighting. I have seen Marines get Page 11 and get their MCMAP belts stripped back to tan and web belt for being in non-authorized fight club activities. You can also get in trouble for having a "job" outside of the Marine Corps without approval from your chain of command.

wannabeUSMCmp
02-07-10, 08:42 PM
sanctioned amauter mma competions, also forgot to include in the original post which bases have mma teams/gyms on base(or usmc sponsored)

Lisa 23
02-07-10, 09:15 PM
When using the words Marine Corps, they will be capitalized at all times!

Did you ever hear of Marine Corps Officer Brian Stann. He fights in the WEC (World Extreme Cagefighting)
http://www.brianstann.com/bio.cfm

wannabeUSMCmp
02-07-10, 10:09 PM
Stann actually has fought in the ufc recently, he retired from active duty a couple years ago i think. Im not that good though i meant the policy for normal people who arent ever gunna be a pro and its just their hobby.

Lisa 23
02-07-10, 10:34 PM
I didn't know he was fighting in the UFC now, and I kinda thought I heard that he retired as a Major, but wasn't sure.

You may want to fill out the rest of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to. :thumbup: And read the site rules in the poolee and the Ask A Marine forums, too.

josephd
02-07-10, 10:48 PM
I don't know the actual policy on Marines competing in MMA fights but I have numerous Marine friends, 2 of which who are officers, who compete.

Isn't UFC itself sponsored by the Corps?

Lisa 23
02-07-10, 10:56 PM
Josephd, all I know is that Dana White is the president of the UFC, and I'm not sure if the Marine Corps is a sponsor or not. I'm pretty sure that the UFC held a few fights on Marine Corps bases, but that's about it. I even think the WEC had a few fights on Marine Corps bases, too.

SlingerDun
02-07-10, 11:26 PM
Captain Stann fought last night in UFC 109http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

echo3oscar1833
02-07-10, 11:56 PM
My take on Cage Fighting as a sport, well personally I like watching it as a fan. As a Marine, I don't think it should be allowed while serving. If you get hurt while doing so, what good are you to the Corps. Your job as a Marine is to train for the worst, and maintain top physical fitness. By doing so you place yourself in a position to go where the Marine Corps needs you.

josephd
02-08-10, 01:11 AM
Josephd, all I know is that Dana White is the president of the UFC, and I'm not sure if the Marine Corps is a sponsor or not. I'm pretty sure that the UFC held a few fights on Marine Corps bases, but that's about it. I even think the WEC had a few fights on Marine Corps bases, too.

I really don't follow MMA, UFC, or whatever sanctioning body it is....but I know the fights they show on Spike TV have Marine Corps advertisements on the mats in the fighting ring/octagon....that would lead me to believe the Corps sponsored it right?