PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait to pick an MOS?

CountmeIn12
02-07-10, 11:29 AM
My ship date is 20101019 and I know the new fiscal year begins Oct 1. Can and Should I wait till then to pick an MOS? The reason being im guessing there will be more openings and maybe more bonuses tied to different jobs.

Any info would be appreciated

Rocky C
02-07-10, 03:06 PM
Forget the Bonus!!!
Forget the MOS!!!

Just go in on an Open Contract.

Just Earn the Title of " A United States Marine " and let the " Corps " put you were your needed.

That's what I Did!!!

CountmeIn12
02-07-10, 04:12 PM
Im not doing it for the bonuses and such. I have enlisted for all the right reasons but I would be crazy not to take advantage of every opportunity I can. Whether its bonuses or a good job.

Lisa 23
02-07-10, 04:25 PM
How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to. :thumbup: And read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums also.

SgtThrasher
02-07-10, 05:05 PM
I agree with Rocky,When I went to Parris island in September 1965 we didn't have a clue what our MOS would be ,the only sure thing was Vietnam and we couldn't get there fast enough.I've heard the Marine Corps today have L/Cpl's entering boot camp with prearranged MOS's that haven't killed a sand flea yet,but also understand the recruiters pressure to recruit in this new era.

mErKtWiSt
02-08-10, 10:17 AM
First you should concentrate on your pt which is going to be one of the main aspects of being a Marine. Did you take your ASVAB test yet? what you qualify for depends on what you score. I would rather have you pick your MOS so if you dont like it your not like some of these Boot Marines now a days and blame the Corps for "screwing" you over on your MOS. Sit down with your recruiter and ask them all the questions you feel you need to ask. My MOS has no bonus but i enlisted and reenlisted and about to reenlist again because i love being a Marine and love my MOS. Like every job in the Military and Civilian life they can all suck at times but its on your passion and how much you make of it. Say you decide to pick Admin, you might hate it for those 4 yrs (if you decide to get out) but understand that every MOS no matter how little you think it effects Marines is important and you should take pride in doing so. Without Admin, Marines cant focus in combat cause their pay is jacked up and their families are not being taken care of, Whitout Logistics theres no support or chow, Without the Armory no one can issue you and fix your weapons etc.. every MOS ties into each other to provide the best welfare for troops. Not trying to be an a**hole but i just hate when Marines blame the Marine Corps for choices they could have controlled somewat when they enlisted but were to lazy to inquire about em.