PDA

View Full Version : goes along with swim Q...

bquick13
02-05-10, 11:08 PM
Hey Marines, I didn't see this under the other post, but my Marine Recruiter said something about jumping 30 feet in to water with full gear, is that right!?!?!!!

Lisa 23
02-05-10, 11:17 PM
Yes, it's true. Click on the training matrix......
MCRDPI
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/index.asp

bquick13
02-05-10, 11:19 PM
Thanks WMarine.. Kinda scary... but the more I think about it. It kinda sounds fun!

Lisa 23
02-05-10, 11:27 PM
Swim qual isn't about having fun, it's about learning to survive in water if you ever had to in a real situation.
While some may be good swimmers and aren't afriad of the water, some may be afraid of heights. You have to learn to overcome your fears.

bquick13
02-05-10, 11:35 PM
Swim qual isn't about having fun, it's about learning to survive in water if you ever had to in a real situation.
While some may be good swimmers and aren't afriad of the water, some may be afraid of heights.

Yes ma'am. I understand. I swim like a fish, but I am pretty afraid of heights.(not that bad, I've been skydiving) But I mean, wow, what a way to get over that.

Have any of ya'll Marines see someone to get to a point like that and just freeze up? What happens to them?

I've got a buddy that doesn't like heights so much, we stayed in a hotel and had a balcony that was maybe like 20 feet off the ground and he couldn't be out there he would panic.

He would **** his pants if he seen he had to jump off that!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-10, 11:38 PM
Be more concerned with yourself. Just do what you have to do, and remember that thousands of Marines have gone before you and done the same thing.

bquick13
02-05-10, 11:42 PM
Yessir, thats one thing my recruiter did tell me, he said you are gonna look in that mirror one morning and ask yourself "what the hell did I get myself into" but you have to remember there are 200,000 Marines now, not including retired. So hey if they can do it so can you(me)

Sgt Leprechaun
02-06-10, 12:02 AM
And.....that's the correct attitude!

temarti
02-06-10, 12:16 AM
if you can swim you will do well, cut a few feet off the tower story though, you will start with a 6ft. if get past 3 then move up to the larger tower which is not 30ft. As long as you stay relaxed in the water and let the strokes the instructor teaches you, work for you and not against you then you will be fine.

Old Marine
02-06-10, 01:57 PM
Freeze on the tower and they use to nudge you a little to get you going. Do not know if they still do that.

polizei
02-06-10, 02:30 PM
When I went in a year ago, they still did that. You either jump on your own, or you get pushed, so either way you're going lol.

If you can swim, don't list yourself as an iron duck like me. I thought it was just for people who weren't as comfortable in the water. Well, they ONLY let you try and qual level 4, so don't do that! I made the mistake, learn from me.

Level 4 is a joke, really. I saw people utterly FAIL at swimming 25m, I didn't really understand how, but I guess they just hated water. I thought I was bad.

Oh, and one more trick...try to get gear that fits you. I had cammies that were WAY too big, and I literally had to stop because they fell off. LOL!

bquick13
02-06-10, 06:14 PM
Geez I had a buddy who graduated in Dec. man I bet that was cold!

Also, I still don't understand how all the jobs and everything work in the Marines, or and branch for that matter. If you excel highly at anyone thing in the training will you get offered any different jobs or anything like that?

Rocky C
02-06-10, 06:29 PM
Geez I had a buddy who graduated in Dec. man I bet that was cold!

Also, I still don't understand how all the jobs and everything work in the Marines, or and branch for that matter. If you excel highly at anyone thing in the training will you get offered any different jobs or anything like that?

You will be tested in Boot Camp!!!
If you Enlist with an open contract like I did and Excell in testing you get a Sweet School and Mos.

I Graduated Boot Camp and my first school was Pensacola, Fl MOS 2621 and went forward from there.

bquick13
02-06-10, 06:55 PM
As of right now, I am signing up, I will be shipping June 1st to boot. I will be doing the 92 day program in the Reserve, after I will be going through NROTC, I wanna do aviation, and I wanna fly (hopefully). I understand every Marine is a Rifleman, but front lines do nothing for me, I want to be watching my fellow Marines back from the sky. I will admit its the infantry with the real cojones, but my goal is to fight smarter not harder. If I can do anything to save infantry lives with air support or anything like that it would make me feel pretty good about myself.

bquick13
02-06-10, 09:56 PM
Oh and one more quick question, my recruiter said you eat one time during the Crucible? If you eat once, why are you issued 3 MREs ? Is it an on the go deal or do you really only use one? Also, if you don't care Marines I think it'd be cool to hear some of yalls Crucible stories if you wanna share.

Lisa 23
02-06-10, 10:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you're given 1 MRE for the 54 hours of The Cruicible that is to be eaten sparingly. I'm sure another Marine will come along and clarify this.

The Crucible

The recruits' final test

For 54 straight hours, recruits’ endurance, teamwork and skills will be pushed to the limit. Through perseverance and courage, they will finish as platoons and earn the title Marine.

During The Crucible, recruits face:

• Obstacles that must be negotiated as a team
• Day and nighttime marches
• Night infiltration movement
• Combat resupply and casualty evacuation scenarios
• Combat field firing as a team
• Minimal food and sleep, simulating combat
• Leadership tests
• Core values

http://www.marines.com/main/index/making_marines/recruit_training/training_matrix/the_crucible

bquick13
02-06-10, 10:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you're given 1 MRE for the 54 hours of The Cruicible that is to be eaten sparingly. I'm sure another Marine will come along and clarify this.

The Crucible

The recruits' final test

For 54 straight hours, recruits’ endurance, teamwork and skills will be pushed to the limit. Through perseverance and courage, they will finish as platoons and earn the title Marine.

During The Crucible, recruits face:

• Obstacles that must be negotiated as a team
• Day and nighttime marches
• Night infiltration movement
• Combat resupply and casualty evacuation scenarios
• Combat field firing as a team
• Minimal food and sleep, simulating combat
• Leadership tests
• Core values

http://www.marines.com/main/index/making_marines/recruit_training/training_matrix/the_crucible

Okay, thanks WMarine, I've been reading so much on the Marine Corps, the jobs, and the training, some of it maybe starting to run together.

Matlock09
02-06-10, 10:26 PM
Anything that sounds "fun" will be made very enjoyable you understand? Everybody's experience is different but you didnt go off that tower on your own free will, everybody was given a little nudge off so freezing is not an issue. Just a little advice dont hold your nose if you have a habit of doing that. I did and I was made to do it again, just a little heads up.

Komenko
02-06-10, 10:38 PM
While some may be good swimmers and aren't afriad of the water, some may be afraid of heights. You have to learn to overcome your fears.

hey hey hey, you can have fun and learn at the same time! I know i did with swim qual and repelling! that was the best part of the training for me in boot camp!

Lisa 23
02-06-10, 10:46 PM
hey hey hey, you can have fun and learn at the same time! I know i did with swim qual and repelling! that was the best part of the training for me in boot camp!
Yeah, I know. I just don't want them to think it's like being in a pool at home with all the fun that goes on.
I actually enjoyed swim qual myself. I love to swim, and I felt like a fish in water...lol!

echo3oscar1833
02-06-10, 11:40 PM
Swimming is like anything else, the more you practice, the better you get. I didn't know how to swim, when I graduated boot camp. I went all the way to the fleet now knowing how to swim. Why because there wasn't time to actually learn. Once I got to the fleet I had an outstanding Sgt, that took the time to get me up to par on swimming for my MOS. Now I swim whenever I get the chance. It also has alot of thearaputic, and positive medical effects to be gained from it. :marine:

Smitty Puffs
02-07-10, 12:33 AM
Yes. It's a huge deal. Bigger then anything else that happens at boot camp. You might die.

polizei
02-07-10, 09:23 AM
I think we got 2 MRE's during the Crucible, but I remember only eating not even 1. You'll be so tired and mentally/physically drained, you won't really feel hungry. I didn't even hardly eat anything at the Warriors Breakfast or whatever it's called. Don't worry about small things like that...it really doesn't matter, you'll just have to experience it. It's different for everyone.