PDA

View Full Version : Officer Programs

palten08
02-05-10, 09:51 PM
Good evening, Marines,

I have searched the forum and Google for awhile but have yielded little results. I'm sure the question I'm going to ask has been asked before but what research I've done hasn't entirely answered my question.

I'm a B student, in good (not great, yet!) physical shape, stay out of trouble etc, and have been considering the Marine Corps for awhile.

Eventually when I got into high school I did some more research and saw that there are Officer programs for the Marine Corps, which include flying, which is something that definitely interests me because the Marine Corps has lots of superb aircraft that I would love to fly.

I am currently in tenth grade but am bouncing between the idea of going to college for an Associate's degree first and then trying for the ROTC program, or enlisting and then using the G.I. Bill to pay for my college education, and then seeking a commission from there.

I do want to be a Marine and I do want to be an Officer because I like the prospect of leading and inspiring other members of the World's Finest Fighting Force, but I'm not sure what route to take.

If I go enlisted first, how much of a chance do I have of going to OCS?

And I'm thinking if I do the college route I'll just do ROTC, but then again, I would like to go to Parris Island to get the whole experience I've been thinking about since I was a kid.

Sorry for my 'novel' :p

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and advice

josephd
02-06-10, 02:21 AM
If you want to go enlisted first and become a Mustang then I would suggest joining right out of high school, do your 4 years active, go to school after, and then get your commission.

I messed around too much during my years at school with being indecisive on becoming a Marine. And now as much as I enjoy being a Marine I am not particularly happy with being a 25yr old Lance with no degree yet because I didn't set myself up for success.

If you really want to go to college, do it. Just keep yourself motivated and in shape so come time for you to put a PLC/OCS package through you will stand out among the other potential candidates.

And just be aware not all colleges have ROTC programs, just be sure to find the OSO for that area and make sure he gets to know who you are.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-06-10, 07:48 AM
If you are looking at a college before going in, I would suggest "Embry Riddle". They have an outstanding aviation program. You dont have to have ROTC for a commission. If your parents dont have the money for you to go to college, check out "College of the Ozarks" in Branson Missouri. They have an aviation program as well. You can work your way through college there.

palten08
02-06-10, 10:11 AM
Thank you Lance Corporal and thank you Corporal for your advice.

usmcspitfire
02-06-10, 01:34 PM
Welcome aboard.

You have a few more years to make a decision, but the decision is yours, and no one else can make it for you.

If you want to enlist, enlist. I have many friends who were SNCOs before they pinned on their bars. On the other hand, I have friends who are going to be excellent platoon commanders who are 23-24 years old and who either came from the Naval Academy, or various NROTC programs.

It sounds like you have a good mindset, but keep in mind that all Marine Officer's are provisional rifle platoon commanders. Some Flight Contracts are in for a big surprise once they arrive at The Basic School.

Make better grades, and during your senior year contact an Officer Selection Office about your options.

palten08
02-10-10, 08:32 PM
Thank you, Lieutenant

ammermda
02-13-10, 05:42 PM
I concur with the Lieutenant, and recommend you strongly consider college after graduating. Education and life experience will never hold you back.

SF,
Lt A

TunTvrnWarrior
02-13-10, 05:59 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I concur with the Lieutenant, and recommend you strongly consider college after graduating. Education and life experience will never hold you back.

SF,
Lt A

palten08
02-13-10, 09:05 PM
If I do go the Enlisted route, how exactly do I obtain my commission?

I'm certain you have to reach a NCO rank first, but, do you still have to go to an OSO and talk to them?

TunTvrnWarrior
02-13-10, 09:22 PM
you have to have a college degree. We had one Marine in my platoon that was sent off to OCS while we were in our MOS school.

TunTvrnWarrior
02-13-10, 09:37 PM
Being enlisted has it's advantages and disavantages. I strongly encourage you to pursue college first. The two colleges I mentioned previously would put you in a good spot for a commision.

Lisa 23
02-13-10, 09:43 PM
These sites might help you out some....

Marine Officer
FAQ
General Questions
http://officer.marines.com/marine/global/faq (http://officer.marines.com/marine/global/faq)

THE PATH TO BECOMING A MARINE CORPS OFFICER
http://www.marineofficerprograms.com...course-occ.php (http://www.marineofficerprograms.com...course-occ.php)

Officers - Marine Corps
http://www.marines.com/main/index/making_marines/eligibility/officer

Officer Candidates School
MCB Quantico, VA
http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

Marine Corps Officer Job Desriptions
Main Menu
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/offic...erjobsmenu.htm (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/offic...erjobsmenu.htm)

ABCs of the ASVAB
ASVAB and Commissioning
Marine Corps. Candidates for Marine OCC (Officer Candidate Class) or PLC (Platoon Leaders Course), must score a minimum of 115 on the Marine's GT line sore (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/asvab.htm) of the ASVAB. Candidates can also qualify with a minmum combined score of 1000 on the verbal and math sections of the SAT, or a combined math and verbal score of 45 on the ACT.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...commission.htm (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/asvabcommission.htm)

palten08
02-13-10, 10:49 PM
Thank you WMarine and TunTvrnWarrior for your suggestions

I am considering college, yes, it has been on my mind since I was a Freshman.

The thing is, I'm not entirely sure what tuition will look like by the time my Senior year rolls around, so I was thinking going Enlisted and using the GI Bill to pursue a college education.

Then again, I am NOT using the Marine Corps for college. I've wanted to be a Marine since I was a kid and since getting to High School I learned that they can pay for college, which is required if I want to become an Officer.

Plus I want to go to Parris Island and get the whole experience :D

TunTvrnWarrior
02-14-10, 07:20 AM
If your parents income level is below the cut off at "College of the Ozarks", you can work your way through college there on campus and come out debt free at the end of college without getting a loan. They have an aviation program on campus. I would look at it seriously right now. They are located in Branson Missouri.

TinDragon
02-14-10, 07:49 AM
MECEP is a somewhat common way to go officer from enlisted. The way I understand it, if you're accepted to the MECEP program (I believe any NCO or SNCO can apply, but it's usually not given to Corporals from what I understand, and Sgts are somewhat rare too) the MC will pay for your college course, IN ADDITION to paying you for active duty. So if you're a Sgt that gets accepted, you'll have your college paid for, you'll be making active duty Sgts pay, BAH, all that fun stuff... and I'm guessing you'd still have your GI bill to use for a higher degree or spouse at a later time.

Now, I've been known to be wrong (I'm only human) but that's the gist of the MECEP. There are other programs as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

ammermda
02-15-10, 09:11 PM
You have been given some great advice (in my humble opinion). I'll give you another $0.02 from my jar...

1. Gather as much information (what you are currently doing), weigh it carefully, then make your decision. Keep in mind there will be follow-on decisions for you to make.

2. Your first decision to make right now is how you want to obtain your college education. A: as a civilian, or B: as a Marine. That is really the bottom line.

A: As a civilian, you are going to have more freedom; which means you are going to need a bit more self discipline. This is nothing to shy away from (especially if you want to be a Marine anyway). Yes, you may need some student loans, and you may need to work through college. This is where some of that life experience, responsibility, and self discipline come into play. These are all things that will help make you a good Marine, and a good, successful person in general. Also, the great thing about college as a civilian is that you can make mistakes, and learn from them without it being held against you by your future employer (unless it becomes a matter of public record).

B: As a Marine, you are going to have less freedom. As a MECEP'er, you will participate in NROTC at your school, which means you will be under the watchful eye of your instructor. You will probably have less financial worries, but you are not going to experience some of those hardships (and other things) that make college a truly worthwhile experience. I have not done MECEP myself -- but accountability is a big deal in the Marine Corps. If that carries over to MECEP and your college courses, you will not be left on your own to succeed or fail. You will probably not have the liberties to learn from your mistakes that civilians have. Your mistakes -- academic and social -- may likely be career makers/breakers.

Again, this is just my opinion: go to college first. Listen to the more experienced (i.e. look at Marines' dates of entry and exit on their profiles, find those older, wiser, experienced Marines) and seek out their advice. They've been there, done that. Learn from them. (I think you will find I am echoing what many of them will tell you.) Get a degree -- could be anything. You will have all options available to you: enlist or come to the 'dark side.'

SF,
Lt A

Phantom Blooper
02-15-10, 09:25 PM
Everyone has given great advice....

However I will touch on this.....

The thing is, I'm not entirely sure what tuition will look like by the time my Senior year rolls around

Maintain grades and get a scholarships!:evilgrin:

SaloSV
02-16-10, 11:16 PM
My story goes:

I was in college, and enlisted into the USMC Reserves the middle of my sophomore year. I had transferred to my third university when I applied and was accepted into the Platoon Leaders Class (PLC) program. I was a Lcpl when I graduated OCS Juniors.

I ultimately never took my commission for reasons I won't discuss here, but the prior enlisted experience at OCS was invaluable, to the point of jading me.

Of course, there needs to be a Marine Reserve unit within reasonable distance of your school. I'm from Arkansas, so if you go to College of the Ozarks to study aviation, there are a couple units from 3rd Battalion 23rd Marine Regiment you could drill with. There's a weapons company in Springdale, MO, and a line company in North Little Rock (Semper Fi Co. I 3/23).

You risk deployment with the Marine Reserves though. That could really upset your college plan.

I got really lucky, we didn't get deployed anywhere thanks to Mr. Clinton.

MSSlaughter
02-18-10, 07:27 PM
MECEP is a somewhat common way to go officer from enlisted. The way I understand it, if you're accepted to the MECEP program (I believe any NCO or SNCO can apply, but it's usually not given to Corporals from what I understand, and Sgts are somewhat rare too) the MC will pay for your college course, IN ADDITION to paying you for active duty. So if you're a Sgt that gets accepted, you'll have your college paid for, you'll be making active duty Sgts pay, BAH, all that fun stuff... and I'm guessing you'd still have your GI bill to use for a higher degree or spouse at a later time.

Now, I've been known to be wrong (I'm only human) but that's the gist of the MECEP. There are other programs as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

TinDragon: Close but no cigar.

I got accepted to MECEP for FY10 via MARADMIN 710/09. It is a VERY selective program (over 400 applicants...100 selected). With a very time consuming and demanding application process. The Marine Corps will NOT pay your way through college. You have to pay your own way. You do, however, remain on active duty. That said, you can use the GI Bill to pay for your education (no tuition assistance allowed). A little known fact of the Post 9/11 GI Bill is that while on active duty, it will pay for 100% of your tuition no matter where you go. None of that "up to the most expensive state school" stuff...that only applies if you get out and use it. I have been accepted to the University of San Diego and the government, via the GI Bill, is paying my entire way. That's over 35k per year. It's a pretty sweet deal if you can get it.

edit: Also, there's no rank requirement for applying to MECEP, but you are close about anyone getting selected. It's mostly Sergeants with a sprinking of Corporals and Staff Sergeants. Plus 3 GySgts and one LCpl...

crazymjb
02-18-10, 07:38 PM
I just couldn't wait to be a Marine and joined as a reservist. My personal decision was to go through boot and SOI and then take a semester off so I could start the fall after the rest of my graduating class, or this past fall. If you really want to make up time and go this route, you can do boot camp one summer and SOI the next and not miss a beat. Do know that your education may be delayed for an activation. Personally, I am looking forward to it. I want something to break up college for me.

I still have not yet decided whether or not I want to pursue the officer route. I likely will at the very least do PLC juniors and go from there. I do want to wait until after my activation before taking another giant step in my life. Plenty of Marines go this route, a Marine down the hall from me has, as well as a handful of guys in my battalion.

Also, one question I'd like to run by anyone knowledgeable. I was told that it is less competitive to get in to the PLC program while in college vice OCS after graduating. I was also told it by the local OSO. I am not calling him a liar by any means, but I know what a recruiters ultimate end goal is, so if a neutral party here could confirm that for me as well as for the OP that would be great.

Mike

johnb08
02-20-10, 12:59 PM
I am currently enlisted and if i were you I would go to college or at least get started with college and then go reserves. All depends what your long term goals are. Best of luck to you and pm me with any questions you have

SF

PFC Robbart