PDA

View Full Version : At a loss...

Whitey
02-04-10, 05:54 PM
Apparently despite being a Corporal now I still don't rate to be a supervisor in the eyes of my fellow Corporals. I was literally put on blast in front of my troops today because I was not in my coveralls and I was giving them some downtime after breaking their backs for me all day.

I guess everyone just has to feel saltier than someone else or expects you to have the same leadership style as everyone else. I guess I'm a horrible NCO for not belittling my troops constantly.

So what exactly is the purpose of a Corporal? How do I know if I'm going about this all wrong? How do I know if I'm going about this in all the right ways? Whats a Corporal supposed to do within the realm of "working supervisor"?

RYDERKUR
02-04-10, 06:01 PM
My personal belief if you are doing it right and that's why they lit you up. They're angry over the fact your Marines respect you more, will work harder, and get things done for you. They are trying to bring you down in front of your Marines so they think you are doing something wrong, and won't respect you as much. I still don't know what it is with you Trackers though :D

Whitey
02-04-10, 06:06 PM
what about us trackers?

temarti
02-04-10, 06:12 PM
always remember, "don't worry about me, just worry about yourself" the hardest part of taking a leadership role is trying to get over the thought that you may not be doing it right. If your troops busted their ass for you today then you are doing it right. You will learn the good and the bad from the ones that supervise you. Take what you have experienced and mold it into the way you lead.

RYDERKUR
02-04-10, 06:13 PM
They all seem to have some sort of inferiority complex, especially when it comes to dealing with grunts. It's all good though, we still know who's better :D

StoneTheWeak
02-05-10, 12:58 AM
I've always found that the ones who like to scream and yell are usually the last ones I ever want to go to for anything useful or that I look up to. Usually they're the guys who got **** on when they were junior and now they just try and do it to someone else. It's petty is all.

brian0351
02-05-10, 05:38 AM
Well were you getting blasted for not being in coveralls...or because you were giving your troops down time?

Technically I am guessing you were out of uniform for your shop...which encourages your troops to follow your lead...so yes...I would blast you for setting a bad example.

As for giving your troops a break. You let the blasting finish and simply state that they got the job done and they are your troops. You will lead how you see fit until someone of a higher rank tells you your wrong.

Now...if you gave them some down time and they started to f$%^ off and drawing attention to themselves(as most Marines with too much time do)...than yes I would blast you for not controlling them.

8th&I Marine
02-05-10, 07:40 AM
One of the things I learned is never get all over your Marines in front of everyone. Take them aside and say what you need to say. Fellow NCOs should not do that to other NCOs. Keep up the good work Devil Dog and your Marines will respect you.

Cantrell

Komenko
02-05-10, 07:48 AM
Had this happen to me once when I was a Corporal attached to a grunt platoon. I told this Corporal blasting me that I could respect the Rank but not the Person holding it! then I told him to Shut the fvck up! If he wanted to be confrontational with me in front of all the troop so be it and I'll give him some confrontation even though it was wrong to do it in front of the troops. can't have your fellow NCOs bring you down in front of the troops or you would be made to seem weak!

Marine84
02-05-10, 08:13 AM
Some of you have waaaaaaaaaaay too much testosterone flowing through your bodies. LOL!

Old Marine
02-05-10, 09:17 AM
This is exactly why we used to have Smokers in the Corps. Get it into the ring and let all the frustrations out by punching your fellow Cpl. in the snot box. Worked pretty good then, but I guess Smokers have also gone by the wayside.

jetdawgg
02-05-10, 11:54 AM
@Old Marine,

I guess they play 'Madden' today OM:D:usmc:

As for you Whitey, continue to treat your Marines as you see fit

brian0351
02-05-10, 12:14 PM
I didn't see that he tore you down in front of your Marines. That's bad Juju. NCO's handle their business in private, not for all the troops to see.

Whitey
02-05-10, 06:52 PM
This guys only been in a year longer than me and claims I'm "whats wrong with the Marine Corps today" and "I don't rate", mind you he was my Corporal from the time I came to my company until I picked up...

Sgt Leprechaun
02-06-10, 12:00 AM
LOL. "Jealous".

Take care of your Marines and they'll come through for you every time.

Set the example.

IF this NCO reamed you in front of your Marines, then he just lost not only your respect, but the respect of all those junior Marines, and he'll pay a price for that at some point in time. Unless you are some sort of major fracked up individual it's likely he's pizzed at you for having the respect of your junior Marines whereas, he does not, and can't figure out why. Therefore, he's looking for reasons to play games.

Komenko
02-06-10, 12:32 AM
This is exactly why we used to have Smokers in the Corps. Get it into the ring and let all the frustrations out by punching your fellow Cpl. in the snot box. Worked pretty good then, but I guess Smokers have also gone by the wayside.

Use to call it "Going in the tree line" but then all that hazing crap came into play and it chopped the tree line down!

MD8724
02-09-10, 12:37 AM
If you're both Cpl's, and you weren't doing anything wrong, tell him to **** off.

If you're both Cpl's and you were wrong, tell him to talk to you in private, and after he is finished, tell him to **** off.

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 05:00 AM
This guys only been in a year longer than me and claims I'm "whats wrong with the Marine Corps today" and "I don't rate", mind you he was my Corporal from the time I came to my company until I picked up...

As long as you set a good example for your troops, you stay out of trouble, you now your place as a Cpl, you set a good example in PT and the basics of being a Marine, then hell yea i'd tell my fellow Cpl to "shut the f*ck up."

No two people will lead the exact same way, everyone is different. But if you ask me if you go back and look at the difference in the respect gained and productivity produced by your Marines when you aren't ALWAYS being an ******* to your troops (this doesn't mean in any way, that you become soft or a pushover, its a delicate balance), i feel it proves that if you treat your Marines like human beings you will always receive better results in the end.

Silentwarrior17
02-09-10, 09:05 AM
There is a time and a place to call out a fellow NCO infront of your troops. This to me doesn't seem like one of them. Regardless of the reason it is usually just bad business. Unity of command is one of the biggest things that has to happen regardless of the MOS or what is actually going on. I am what some call a "vocal leader", really I just chew ass when I want things done. But at the same time my marines always realized they could come to me with anything. It was a little of a learning curve for me for a bit when I had a Sgt. as one of my team leaders when I was a Cpl. and I was his Squad Leader. Never let your rank(billet) or ego deminish the marines trust in you. If they can't come to you with personal problems there really is no respect.