PDA

View Full Version : So.. I just got my orders and..

otis wilcox
02-04-10, 01:25 PM
Well, I'm in MOS school right now and I requested Oki, but got Pendleton.. bleh.

Just wondering if someone can tell me how it is over there, what there is to do, etc.

ARTYPIG
02-04-10, 01:30 PM
Depending on your MOS you'll probably end up on the ROck at some point

AJJ1985
02-04-10, 01:33 PM
It's Southern California... you're limited to only your imagination! You'll have a good time.

otis wilcox
02-04-10, 01:33 PM
3432, disburser ftw.

TJR1070
02-04-10, 01:46 PM
Bro, you need to change your attitude about things. Didn't anyone ever tell you that attitude is everything? If you hate where you are going before you get there you are going to hate it. If you have an open mind and find the good and fun in things then no matter where you are you will have a good time. I went to Oki first and then Cali and I loved both places for different reasons. Cali is in the States you don't miss out on movies, music, TV shows and all the other pop culture stuff that was limited when I was overseas. plus there is always Tijuana, you know where all the young girls from colleges in San diego hang out. Oki is a great place to spend a year or two with the diving, the climate, and the partying, not to mention the Philipino girls. It also allows you to experience another culture first hand. So relax, and besides you will definately get your chance to go to "The Rock" since it's not high on many people's list of places they would like to be stationed.

otis wilcox
02-04-10, 01:51 PM
Lol, I like, just found out 15 minutes ago.

Sorry if I sounded a little depressed, I'm gonna try and be positive, haha.

Thank you everyone for the information :)

TJR1070
02-04-10, 02:02 PM
Pendleton has it's own beach, about seven E-Clubs, a movie theater, bowling alley, a lake, multiple fast food resturaunts and that's all on base. Accessible from the local bus service that goes from out in town, on base from Del Mar to mainside and then back out into town. Southern California has alot of things to do and see. You can surf, dive, hang out at the beach and chase women, go ballooning, or anything else you can imagine because it is sunny and 70 degrees most days of the year. Season are overrated.

echo3oscar1833
02-04-10, 02:28 PM
Agree I missed Cali so much when I went to Lejeune. Don't get me wrong Lejuene can have its perks if you actually get around, and experience the state. There is alot of culture and history in NC, but Cali was still way better.:D

usmcmsf
02-04-10, 03:29 PM
If you like pussy you'll like Cali.

Wheels123
02-04-10, 03:38 PM
With all the time combined I have spent about six months in Okinawa and I must say I was never really impressed with the place. So I feel like you got hooked up. I was also stationed for two years in Iwakuni and would have to say that was an awesome place. Between Oki and Kuni I would definately go with Kuni. More to do there. Make the most of where you go during your time in. Cali is a pretty awesome place to visit so I am sure it would be even better to live there.

zx6rdr
02-04-10, 03:59 PM
Been stationed at Lejune, pendleton, miramar, and oki........

the winner is.......

Sothern California!!!!!

Juicemang
02-04-10, 05:39 PM

LOL, spot-****ing-on! :flag:

billydakid
02-04-10, 06:24 PM
Right now im in Oki and I would kill to be back in the states with all of my freedom and dont have to deal with this whole red and gold card system BS.

Marine84
02-04-10, 06:30 PM

Ones of us that don't love pussy loved CA too!;)

doc h fmf
02-04-10, 06:58 PM
ONCE YOU GET SETTLED IN THEN YOU CAN THINK ABOUT GOING TO TIAJANA MEXICO, STAY OUT OF THE DARK BARS. THEY HAVE A LOT OF CUTE NAKED DANCERS LOL. gOODLUCK AND ENJOY MY FRIEND

Marine1955
02-04-10, 07:01 PM
With all the time combined I have spent about six months in Okinawa and I must say I was never really impressed with the place. So I feel like you got hooked up. I was also stationed for two years in Iwakuni and would have to say that was an awesome place. Between Oki and Kuni I would definitely go with Kuni. More to do there. Make the most of where you go during your time in. Cali is a pretty awesome place to visit so I am sure it would be even better to live there.

Must say Iwakuni was great also took the train north to skivvie house's and shows there even got licked out of a skivvie show well we all did about 10 of us. But man the places to go are great I would give my left Nut to go back there. and would love to here them say NEWBIE , NEWBIE THOSE WHERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND.

StoneTheWeak
02-05-10, 12:59 AM
You're upset about getting sent to Pendleton???

Kids these days. I love this place. :D

dROD20
02-05-10, 01:33 PM
Im going to Oki in March. What are some pro/cons about being stationed there?

Supersquishy
02-05-10, 01:55 PM
Oki was OK.
Southern Cali was way the hell better!

TJ:thumbdown Only reason people go there was the underage drinking, don't get caught. Last I heard, Mexico was off limits to Marines.

rb1651
02-05-10, 02:02 PM
SoCal was great!!! I was at El Toro and Pendleton (different times). Tons of things to do when you're off duty. I also understand that TJ was off limits to all military personnel.

Hanzo
02-05-10, 02:07 PM
TJ is a ****ing ****hole. Trust me, I was born and raised in San Diego and went there a lot in High School because of the underage drinking. Once you hit 21, there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to that festering pile of monkey jizz.

Granted, I'm biased because its home, but joining the military and then having them send you to San Diego...I can think of a lot worse things in life.

ErinandBrandonB
02-05-10, 02:26 PM
being stationed here is very, very cool. especially if you're an active person..there's tons of stuff to do here..it only sucks in the winter time like from january-beginning of march! it's cold and rainy! :( but trust me everything else more than makes up for that!!

polizei
02-05-10, 02:37 PM
You're *****ing about SoCal being cold and rainy? WTF? Come to Ohio...where it's cold from September-May, and not 70 degrees cold, like 30 and below most of the time.

Oh, and welcome! :flag:

Hanzo
02-05-10, 02:40 PM
You're *****ing about SoCal being cold and rainy? WTF? Come to Ohio...where it's cold from September-May, and not 70 degrees cold, like 30 and below most of the time.

Oh, and welcome! :flag:
I just noticed where you are, I'm across the river in NKY. Definitely colder here, but I've been about the miserable in my life while in the field at Camp Pendleton. Wet and cold sucks no matter where you are.

polizei
02-05-10, 02:44 PM
Well, the title is a spouse, which I assume is not a Marine, therefor doesn't have to go to the field. Lol, otherwise yes...Missouri was the same, as I'm sure everywhere is! Rain is not fun, especially cold rain. :evilgrin:

ErinandBrandonB
02-05-10, 02:59 PM
i can ***** about it trust me..i'm from nj so i've suffered in terrible blizzards, single digit degrees and terrible thunderstorms...lol so i more than appreciate the nice weather cali gets but trust me...when we do get rain this time of year WE GET RAIN!! flood warnings and mud slides...it's nothing to be happy about it. in fact today and the rest of this weekend will be pouring rain. i wish we had weather like hawaii :) i need 80 degrees year round!

polizei
02-05-10, 03:46 PM
Lol. Yea, must be nice...

StoneTheWeak
02-06-10, 01:00 PM
I think I have yall beat, Upstate NY. Next to Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.... Don't really think I should have to say much more than that... haha

Supersquishy
02-06-10, 01:04 PM
TJ is a ****ing ****hole. Trust me, I was born and raised in San Diego and went there a lot in High School because of the underage drinking. Once you hit 21, there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to that festering pile of monkey jizz.

Ditto, and that goes for most Border-Towns Im glad them **** holes are off limits now, no reason to go unless you want trouble.:thumbdown

Supersquishy
02-06-10, 01:05 PM
I think I have yall beat, Upstate NY. Next to Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.... Don't really think I should have to say much more than that... haha

Anyone live in Wisconsin???? How do you like it?

Komenko
02-06-10, 01:11 PM
the Bars in TJ close at 3am now due to a couple of murders 6 months ago. no telling when that will be lifted. I've been working on Pendleton since 2004 and its not so bad. I was the same way when i was in MOS school and got orders to Okinawa instead of Pendleton and i had a blast for the year i was on the rock. also there is lots to do in socal. as many have said there isn't anything you can't set your mind too here. as for the girls, go to LA or San Diego. the locals that live around the bases know better than to date a Marine, but unlike locals the college girls they don't know no better lol.

usmchauer
02-06-10, 01:51 PM
the Bars in TJ close at 3am now due to a couple of murders 6 months ago. no telling when that will be lifted. I've been working on Pendleton since 2004 and its not so bad. I was the same way when i was in MOS school and got orders to Okinawa instead of Pendleton and i had a blast for the year i was on the rock. also there is lots to do in socal. as many have said there isn't anything you can't set your mind too here. as for the girls, go to LA or San Diego. the locals that live around the bases know better than to date a Marine, but unlike locals the college girls they don't know no better lol.

You're right on all counts! As a Marine I never ventured south of the border to TJ. As a civilian living just over an hour away I STILL wouldn't go there.

sscjoe
02-06-10, 02:36 PM
I spent 3 of my 4 yrs in SoCal. North from Pendleton you have Laquna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach to name a few. South you have Torrey Pines( Blacks Beach), La Jolla. SoCal offers some of the best surfing and young blond girls this country has to offer.
Horn Dog Alert---Damn Kim was that you at El Toro

Hamelink83
02-06-10, 11:08 PM
Oki has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Pros:
Another country
Beautiful place
Good food
Slutty Air Force chicks

Cons:
Red/Gold card
Have to at least be an NCO to drive
Language barrier
Miss a lot of things that go on in the states
Lack of non-military/non-dependent American women

Getting So Cal as a first duty station isn't all that bad. I can imagine that if your in a non-deployable unit that this place go start to suck after 2 years. Thank God I'm Division.

SlingerDun
02-06-10, 11:26 PM
I know why many people move to socal: climate and topography. Jobs, maybe?! congestion and crowds?? probably not.

I enjoyed Rancho Santa Margarita y Las Flores with it's rolling hills and sea breezes bending the sage, hot in summer chilly in winter. Watching bison graze late spring fescue tall enough to tickle flies off a range horses belly. The occasional bivouac under the shade of a live oak. Just like them old time vaquero's:marine:

The entire area from El Centro to San Bernardino and points beyond has just gotten too freakin crowded. When a Marine finds the only place he can enjoy a little solitude is while standing night watch on field op's or weekend liberty in the Panamint Range of Death Valley NP, it's too crowded.

--->Dave

echo3oscar1833
02-06-10, 11:32 PM
I know why many people move to socal: climate and topography. Jobs, maybe?! congestion and crowds?? probably not.

I enjoyed Rancho Santa Margarita y Las Flores with it's rolling hills and sea breezes bending the sage, hot in summer chilly in winter. Watching bison graze late spring fescue tall enough to tickle flies off a range horses belly. The occasional bivouac under the shade of a live oak. Just like them old time vaquero's:marine:

The entire area from El Centro to San Bernardino and points beyond has just gotten too freakin crowded. When a Marine finds the only place he can enjoy a little solitude is while standing night watch on field op's or weekend liberty in the Panamint Range of Death Valley NP, it's too crowded.

--->Dave

Agree I used to go down to the beach at night on Camp Delmar for some quite time. That was until the Area Guard ordered me to stop one night with a M-16 pointed at my grape. It was kinda funny, some PFC jumps out behind a car with an M-16, tells me to halt and identify myself. I did, then got down on the deck, presented ID, etc, etc. Didn't realize I couldn't be down there late at night. Did it for about a month before getting stopped by the Area Guard.:D

Komenko
02-07-10, 01:09 AM
Agree I used to go down to the beach at night on Camp Delmar for some quite time. That was until the Area Guard ordered me to stop one night with a M-16 pointed at my grape. It was kinda funny, some PFC jumps out behind a car with an M-16, tells me to halt and identify myself. I did, then got down on the deck, presented ID, etc, etc. Didn't realize I couldn't be down there late at night. Did it for about a month before getting stopped by the Area Guard.:D
You should have been able to go to Del Mar beach at night! MCCS runs the Grounds there and there is fire Pits there for peats sake! Power trippin PFC needs to be put in his place!

echo3oscar1833
02-07-10, 01:10 AM
You should have been able to go to Del Mar beach at night! MCCS runs the Grounds there and there is fire Pits there for peats sake! Power trippin PFC needs to be put in his place!

Thats what I thought, but I didn't want to press the issue. I was a boot then myself, in MOS School. :D

Komenko
02-07-10, 01:18 AM
Thats what I thought, but I didn't want to press the issue. I was a boot then myself, in MOS School. :D

lol oh so you might have been breaking some battalion orders then. :evilgrin:

echo3oscar1833
02-07-10, 01:21 AM
lol oh so you might have been breaking some battalion orders then. :evilgrin:

Maybe lol, i dunno they never said don't go haha:D

Komenko
02-07-10, 01:25 AM
Maybe lol, i dunno they never said don't go haha:D

Student curfew?

echo3oscar1833
02-07-10, 01:26 AM
Student curfew?

I don't remember, probably was though:marine:

zx6rdr
02-07-10, 02:06 PM
Yeah, If you are perm personnel out in the fleet, you can be out there all night! hell, they even have those cabins that you can rent out for the weekend..... mmmmmmm fun all night drinking parties on that beach!!!!!

TJR1070
02-08-10, 10:54 AM

STW, was in Rochester for my wife's baby shower in Jan., cold enough in Brockport but not that much snow. Irondequoit had some lake effect snow but it didn't seem as much as other years, just glad I don't have to put up with it all the time like you do. Going back in May for turkey season hopefully it will be all melted by then.

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 04:11 AM
Let me get this straight you WANT to come to the Rock ? HAHA. Well I didn't 4 years at Pendleton, granted 3 of those i was deployed but still, thats where i met my wife and all my friends are and now i got stationed over here, not on the "Rock", i'm actually on mainland at a Naval Base but still, I'd give anything to get back stateside brother, so count your blessings believe me.

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 04:20 AM

It all depends on what you you like to do for fun. As i've said i live on Mainland but I ride the ships through there every 2-3 months. The cool thing about Oki is you can get just about anywhere in 30-45 mins. You have Kadena AFB for shopping, they infact just got a HUGE new PX there, its 2 stories more like a mall. If you like to surf or you enjoy the ocean they have that there, also i reccoment getting your dive license while you are out here, you wont find anywhere cheaper thats for sure. If you like to go out and drink and party then i only have one thing to say..... "Gate 2". haha. either way though there is plenty to do and if you are married and bringing your family, i have to say japan is one of the safest places to have them. if you want to know anything else, hit me up and ill be happy to help as much as i can.

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 04:21 AM

It all depends on what you you like to do for fun. As i've said i live on Mainland but I ride the ships through there every 2-3 months. The cool thing about Oki is you can get just about anywhere in 30-45 mins. You have Kadena AFB for shopping, they in fact just got a HUGE new PX there, its 2 stories more like a mall. If you like to surf or you enjoy the ocean they have that there, also i recommend getting your dive license while you are out here, you wont find anywhere cheaper thats for sure. If you like to go out and drink and party then i only have one thing to say..... "Gate 2". haha. either way though there is plenty to do and if you are married and bringing your family, i have to say japan is one of the safest places to have them. if you want to know anything else, hit me up and ill be happy to help as much as i can.

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 04:26 AM
sorry about that, our internet on the ship isnt always reliable and i had no idea it posted twice. lol

dROD20
02-09-10, 06:58 AM
thanx for the info sgt. im stoked about going over! im from florida so the water has been a big part of my life since i was little...i cant wait to see how the beaches are there. and i will def get the dive licence like you recommened. ive always wanted to do that. do you know of the best places to go for that or about how much it would cost? also, whats the best bet with surfing? whats spots are good and what is the best thing to do about a board? (rent or buy?) i also look forward to checking out gate 2. but ive heard not to eat the banana, lol! thanx again sgt!

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 08:19 AM
well actually i am deployed about 300 days a year on the ship so i personally havent had alot of time to do the things i mentioned, but i do know that you should be able to get your dive license for under $300. as far as surf board goes depends on what you like, i know they have places you can get them over here. the only thing you will have to get use to over here are the liberty cards, but i know quite a few Marines here from the bases and they dont think its too bad. I work directly with the 31st MEU. Whats your MOS anyway, DO you know what unit you are going to be headed to?

Silentwarrior17
02-09-10, 08:37 AM
Oki freaking sucks!!! Well for me it did, seeing how I was stationed at Schwab. Now don’t get me wrong I still had a blast out there, but it was mostly due to the guys I was with at the time. There isn’t a whole lot to do in Oki though and after awhile the place just gets old and you wish you were back stateside. Be happy you are in Cali. Some of my best years in the Corps were while I was out at Pendelton. You’ll have a blast, and you wont have to be like the disney character Cinderella like in Oki…the Oki marines will get that. GOLD CARD Oohrah!!!

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 08:48 AM
from what i was told is that the best time to come to Oki is as a Sgt or better. Being in Sase-blo (Sasebo, Mainland) and being a Sgt I didnt have to worry about this, thank god because the Navy is ridiculous up there with their libo cards

Silentwarrior17
02-09-10, 08:57 AM
Yeah the libo card things are just out of control. I don't agree with them, but I do see why they have the sometimes. Through my experience it is always the same with Marines. If you give them complete freedom and trust them to be adults they will usually handle the situation and be just fine. When you put them on a really short leash and restrict them, things usually go wrong. Seen if first hand too many times.

SgtPatricksWife
02-09-10, 09:22 AM
whats a libo card? haaha

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 09:24 AM
Yeah the libo card things are just out of control. I don't agree with them, but I do see why they have the sometimes. Through my experience it is always the same with Marines. If you give them complete freedom and trust them to be adults they will usually handle the situation and be just fine. When you put them on a really short leash and restrict them, things usually go wrong. Seen if first hand too many times.

we always have at least 5-10 libo incidents per float here on the ship between the MEU and the Sailors.

Silentwarrior17
02-09-10, 09:53 AM
Yeah we had a bunch on our float too. It was never really anything huge, but what do you expect when you confine people to such a small space, exp the marines who have nothing to do all day, and then let them out with little time to do anything. One of the big problems that we had was only being allowed off the ship for like 4 to 5 hrs and you know exactly what the marines are going to do with only 4 hrs....drink until they can't feel and wash all the memories of the boat out of their system. Now when we got over night libo...not a single thing happened and every marine and sailor did the right thing because they didn't have to worry about big brother watching.

Silentwarrior17
02-09-10, 09:56 AM
In Oki you get libo cards. Either red or gold. Red means that you have to be back by 2359 basically if I can remember right. Gold means that you have to be back on the base by 0600 or in formation the next day. If you have red you have to stop drinking b4 2200 and gold by 0300 but we know this doesn't happen. If for some reason someone messes up big time on the island, everyones libo gets shut down for months sometimes.

SgtPatricksWife
02-09-10, 10:00 AM
In Oki you get libo cards. Either red or gold. Red means that you have to be back by 2359 basically if I can remember right. Gold means that you have to be back on the base by 0600 or in formation the next day. If you have red you have to stop drinking b4 2200 and gold by 0300 but we know this doesn't happen. If for some reason someone messes up big time on the island, everyones libo gets shut down for months sometimes.

wow that sucks. never knew that. thank you for the information

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 10:01 AM
Yeah we had a bunch on our float too. It was never really anything huge, but what do you expect when you confine people to such a small space, exp the marines who have nothing to do all day, and then let them out with little time to do anything. One of the big problems that we had was only being allowed off the ship for like 4 to 5 hrs and you know exactly what the marines are going to do with only 4 hrs....drink until they can't feel and wash all the memories of the boat out of their system. Now when we got over night libo...not a single thing happened and every marine and sailor did the right thing because they didn't have to worry about big brother watching.

This is definitely true, but these days overnight or not we have shore patrol everywhere we go. And its always pretty funny, because you know we just hit a libo port because you see a ton of Marines and Sailors walking around on restriction, the Sailors wearing there little red badges and Marines in formations 3 times a day. haha. good times here on the Stressex. haha. How long did you say you were on ship for?

Silentwarrior17
02-09-10, 10:03 AM
I was only on ship for a little over 3 months. Never want to do that again. This marine is not good on "sea life" haha. Nothing really wrong with it, just would rather be in theater doing ops than stuck on a boat again. But since the corps gets to decide those things I guess it really has never mattered what "I" what haha

Silentwarrior17
02-09-10, 10:05 AM
"I" *want

LetUsNvr4Get
02-09-10, 10:14 AM
not gonna lie to you, and my wife doesnt like it when i say it, but i would give anything to be in Afghanistan with my boys right now, rather than be confined to this tin can 3/4 of the year !!!! I had 3 tours in Iraq with them, and it was some of the greatest memories ill ever have as a Marine, and i would much rather be with them again right now. Just doesnt feel right, ya know.

Ive been here since May and so far ive been to Australia, Philippines, and no Thailand. spent a little over 200 days underway so far, so needless to say ive had to find my "sea legs."

MD8724
02-09-10, 11:11 AM
The one thing about Oki is that it is a whole different culture.......

That you get ****ing tired of after 2 months.

Everything is better in SoCal