PDA

View Full Version : Joining in 4 years

MrDemyan
02-03-10, 10:33 PM
Hey Marines, i am joining the Marine Corps in 4 years and i was just currious if we would still be in Afghanistan with the way things are going now? And i'm planning on DEPing when im 17 and i wanted to know out of all the infantry jobs which one in your opinion would be the best , so far right now im planning on 0311, but im still undecided for sure.

Thank you for your time Marines!

firedog974
02-03-10, 10:39 PM
There is no way for anyone to honestly know the answers to your questions. The world changes everyday. There are new threats daily, and old threats go away daily. Some threats tend to stick around for generations. One thing that will not go away is the Corps, nor it's mission. It may not be Afghanistan when you get in, but there will always be someone who hates America or needs our help. If you have 4 more years, start really focusing on school, staying out of trouble, and getting into the best physical shape you can. Don't worry about what you cannot change (Afghanistan, 0311 openings), focus on what you can change....your grades, staying out of trouble, and your fitness. Good luck!

MrDemyan
02-03-10, 10:58 PM
yes true there are new threats daily, and yes im focusing on getting good grades and staying out of trouble and i am in pretty good shape at the moment. Another thing is im going to do Marine Corps JROTC at my school next year, im excited for that.

MrDemyan
02-03-10, 11:01 PM
Another question , should i be able to get a ganenteed job i selected (infantry field/0311) if i do DEP for one year at the age of 17 until i graduate at the age of 18 ?

temarti
02-04-10, 11:51 AM
should i be able to get a ganenteed job i selected

Just focus on your education at this point, you still have a long way to go.

Lisa 23
02-04-10, 12:04 PM
Just focus on your education at this point, you still have a long way to go.
Exactly! It's nice to place for the future, but you're looking way too much into the future.
Take one step at a time. Keep your grades up and make sure you get that high school diploma. Use your time until you turn 17 or 18 to get yourself into shape, and stay out of trouble!

polizei
02-05-10, 01:24 PM
Ditto what the other Marines have said, seriously, it's the most important. I know you're probably all motto and whatnot, but take a step back, and put things into perspective. The biggest thing you can do is what's already been said.

The Marine Corps looks for leaders, so starting young and showing devotion and a good attitude in JROTC might help you in the long run. I was in Navy JROTC for a year and hated it. So, don't think JROTC is anything like the real military, because I can assure you it's not.

Rocky C
02-05-10, 02:20 PM
All Good Advice!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-10, 11:34 PM
Yup. Four years is an entire enlistment basically, and many, many, things will change from now 'til then. Stay up to date with current events, stay motivated, and GET GOOD GRADES IN SCHOOL. Don't do dope, hang out with those who do, or get involved in criminally stoopid crap. All of these things will ELIMINATE you from contention and enlistment.

Focus on those things and you'll be ok.