PDA

View Full Version : B Billet

Marine Shu
02-03-10, 09:43 AM
Hello Marines,
The time has come to begin my reenlistment package. I really want to be a recruiter, and was wondering if there were any recruiters on here that can offer me some advice on the typical day, family life, and any other nuggets of good gouge.
By the time I get my package in, I will have met all of the requirements for TIG/TIS. The only thing that I will need a waiver for is I will have 3 kids. However, I don't see that as a big issue, as we are very smart with our money and have a nice little savings built up. <O:p</O:p
I will be forever grateful to whoever can spool me up. Thanks much, and Semper Fi.

brian0351
02-03-10, 01:29 PM
Ugh man...good luck. Recruiters put in some of the longest hours of ALL the B billets!

Supersquishy
02-03-10, 01:31 PM
Ugh man...good luck. Recruiters put in some of the longest hours of ALL the B billets!

yea, and they seem to be stressed out to the max.

Marine Shu
02-03-10, 01:45 PM
Well, I don't mind the hours. I don't have the personality for Drill Instructor, and I can't do MSG because I'm married. I like the idea of finding the future of the Corps, and when/if one of my Poolees/future Marines does great things during his or her career, then it would be great to know that I was the one that introduced that Marine to the Corps.

Kegler300
02-03-10, 01:46 PM
Recruiting duty, he next best thing to combat...

Marine Shu
02-03-10, 01:47 PM
OOrah Master Guns!

duragliter
02-03-10, 02:07 PM
I was right in the middle of a tour as a Drill Instructor. While I was on a break they sent me out to work as a Recruiter's Assist.

I did the cold calls. I did the Malls. I did the transport to testing. I did the follow-up to a prospect with a home visit, I sat in while a Marine got his ass chewed for not making mission...

I said **** this ****. I'd rather be up to my ass with a 90 man herd in the dead of summer on T-1 than be doing this bull ****...

If you don't have the pluck, don't be a recruiter. TAKE A RIDE, go to an RS and talk to them poor bastards.

Kegler300
02-03-10, 02:17 PM
OOrah Master Guns!

I spent two tours on recruiting duty. If you're motivated, got a little gift-of-gab, are organized, aren't afraid of the telephone, don't mind long hours and road time, don't mind a lot of ass chewings, I mean high volumn discussions, by the CO and the command group (CO, XO, SgtMaj, RI, ARI, OpsO, OpsChf, etc.), it can be fun and rewarding. I have met former recruiters who struggled during their tour who told me they would rather go back to Iraq than go back to recruiting duty, though, so there's nothing easy about being a recruiter.

You can earn up to two meritorious promotions in a three-year tour, and even opt to latmove to the Career Recruiter field, MOS 8412...I have many former Marine friends who excelled as recruiters and career recruiters and received the rewards of their efforts. ROPE and SDA pay ain't too bad either.

Marine Shu
02-03-10, 03:06 PM
Thanks for that MGySgt. I do have a question about 8412. Do they PCS to different regions/districts every 3 years like in the fleet, or do they pretty much just move up within their own command?

Kegler300
02-03-10, 03:31 PM
Thanks for that MGySgt. I do have a question about 8412. Do they PCS to different regions/districts every 3 years like in the fleet, or do they pretty much just move up within their own command?

Yes, they can request to PCS to different districts/RS's. I've known some request a hiatus by going back into the fleet for a year.

duragliter
02-03-10, 05:33 PM
I got close with one of those career recruiters in Cleveland, Keg. In '90 or '91, he was at that friggan' hell-hole for a few years.

Maybe you remember? Sgt Major Isaacs had to go cut-down a MSgt that decided to stretch his neck in his garage, just as I got there.

Funny thing is, Isaacs had be one of the CDIs at San Diego that I had known ten years before. He had no left shoulder to speak of. He left it in VN...

Back to the Gunny (Career Recruiter) As I left, I gave him my hat and he gave me some kinda' paddle...I couldn't get the paddle on the plane and he kept my Hat...

Dead Master Sergeant aside, it was a fun trip.